Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hocking Hills state park campout,Oct.15-17 2018

Hocking Hills state park campout,Oct.15-17 2018

Camping at Old Man's Cave campground in Hocking Hills state park in Ohio. about 12miles off hwy 664 south of Logan,Ohio. This is an early week campout mainly because we will be on our way to Blackwater Falls state park in WV. and this place was so awesome last year that I wanted to return! This year I will rehike Old Man's cave because it is so awesome, kayak the Hocking river with my kids and if anyone wants to join us u r welcome..kayakrentals in Logan..check out Rock House..kept it 4 this year and revisit the Chime shop..the ladies will love this place and I have to get another hillbilly glass 4 my collection! If there r any singers in the group, sing your heart out in Ash Cave! Awesome place 4 vocals! U can buy jugs of moonshine in several flavours at a couple stores and I am visiting Hocking Hills winery again..loved their Malbec! Travel thru the state park is not really allowed at night likely due to deer movement..I was lost last year and a ranger took me to the state park..I am reserving a campsite this year as I want a better site..I pulled in ,in pitch black last year..not this year! HAHA!! More info to follow and u can also google the info..really looking forward to this trip again!

Re: Hocking Hills state park campout,Oct.15-17 2018

I will be there!

I've camped solo there so many times, it will be nice to have some company. Come on guys and gals, JUMP ON THIS ONE! This is a FANTASTIC CAMPGROUND! Don't let the flat "Ohio" stereotype skew your view of this campground. It's NOT flat and farmland. This park is in SOUTHERN Ohio and Southern Ohio is hilly with stunning vistas. It features great hiking, kayaking, canoeing, and of course great camping. Among the best I have seen and if you look at my map, I've moto camped my fair share since 1995. Believe me, this campground is a winner. Apart from this, some of the riding around the area including the Triple Nickle (State Route 555) is a blast. If you like twisties you can find them in the Hocking Hills.

Jump on the bike and head on over, down, or up to Southern Ohio and Hocking Hills State Park (Old Man's Cave Area). You won't be sorry! This is the shining jewel in the Ohio State Park group.

Hope to see you there.

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/hockinghills

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I'd like to try this but I'm a Weekend camper...
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    I'd like to try this but I'm a Weekend camper...
    I normally am a weekend camper, but for fall color like Hocking Hills is going to have that time of year, and to meet up with (hopefully) many other Members here, it will be worth me going during the week. PLUS, getting out of the "weekend" slot is going to give us a lot more room with plenty of spaces available for moto campers. School is in session then so weekends are busy, week days are empty.

I also posted a link to this thread on the Honda CX/GL Forum, as I know a few members from Ohio there. A few PM'd me they will try and make it. It's very early in this process. We've got all spring and summer to get through. Come late September, we'll hopefully get more interest. I should post something on ADV Rider as well. I'll do that later today or tomorrow.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    I normally am a weekend camper, but for fall color like Hocking Hills is going to have that time of year, and to meet up with (hopefully) many other Members here, it will be worth me going during the week. PLUS, getting out of the "weekend" slot is going to give us a lot more room with plenty of spaces available for moto campers. School is in session then so weekends are busy, week days are empty.

I also posted a link to this thread on the Honda CX/GL Forum, as I know a few members from Ohio there. A few PM'd me they will try and make it. It's very early in this process. We've got all spring and summer to get through. Come late September, we'll hopefully get more interest. I should post something on ADV Rider as well. I'll do that later today or tomorrow.
    I was there early week last year and I did not make reservations..I am going to make them this year however..this appears to be a fave for halloweeners,just sayin..alot of rvs and trailers..they have a drop in section with several sites which is where I was,but in walking around I found a few nicer sites...

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    I was there early week last year and I did not make reservations..I am going to make them this year however..this appears to be a fave for halloweeners,just sayin..alot of rvs and trailers..they have a drop in section with several sites which is where I was,but in walking around I found a few nicer sites...
    Always safer to make reservations. We are a bit too early yet to make them online. They are only taking reservations through August (six months out) last I checked. Two more months and we can make them online. I'll look again in April.

Hocking Hills, because it is so popular, tends to be busy on weekends until about mid November when the leaves are done. Week days are typically easier. You see families arrive Friday after school lets out and pack up Sunday afternoon to get the kids back in time for School on Monday. But even still, it's best and easy to make reservations online, so I always DO reserve. I've got an Ohio State Parks "Rewards Card" so I always use that to log my stays. I think I'm due for a free night. I have to check that.

(Threadstarter)

Good to know will mark my calendar to book in April..thanx!

Possible. Will be heading back to Florida winter camp from Wisconsin, so I'll see whats going on as the time approaches.

The RV Resort i'm doing a workamp at in NW Wisconsin has told me I can have 5 days off for Sturgis, and they know I'm leaving early October to head back to Florida. But my winter camp subscription doesn't start until November 1st, so I have some play time.

Last year, I started winter camp in October. I went to the Run With the Wolf rally in September, and stopped in Inverness FL to pick up some supplies from my storage unit. About the time the hurricane made landfall on the south tip of Florida. So I got a 14' v-nose, loaded the trike and everything I cared about in it, and towed it with my truck up to Macon GA. Dug in beside a friend's auto body shop and used it as a wind brake. Pretty sky show, for sure. Truck got hit by rain so much it was washed better than I could have done it with soap and a hose.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    Possible. Will be heading back to Florida winter camp from Wisconsin, so I'll see whats going on as the time approaches.

The RV Resort i'm doing a workamp at in NW Wisconsin has told me I can have 5 days off for Sturgis, and they know I'm leaving early October to head back to Florida. But my winter camp subscription doesn't start until November 1st, so I have some play time.

Last year, I started winter camp in October. I went to the Run With the Wolf rally in September, and stopped in Inverness FL to pick up some supplies from my storage unit. About the time the hurricane made landfall on the south tip of Florida. So I got a 14' v-nose, loaded the trike and everything I cared about in it, and towed it with my truck up to Macon GA. Dug in beside a friend's auto body shop and used it as a wind brake. Pretty sky show, for sure. Truck got hit by rain so much it was washed better than I could have done it with soap and a hose.
    It would be great if you could make it. I really think you would find the trip worth your while.

Funny about Macon. I broke down and had to get a tow to Macon as well about 5 years ago. That Triumph Trophy just isn't reliable. Not like my Honda. The Honda just runs. The Triumph is the proverbial ride-it-fix-it-ride-it-fix-it machine.

Speaking of work camps, I heard an NPR radio report about Amazon doing work camps for seasonal workers where Amazon pays for your campsite, or where Amazon has "Amazon" owned camp sites for free if you work for them seasonally. This is aimed mostly for newly retired RV-ers who want to pick up some extra cash around the holidays - so the report said.

(Threadstarter)

I can see me doing that but often I think they take couples to share work duties..that would let me out.