Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

A couple friends and I attended the IMS this past weekend. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful bikes there. The new Harleys look alot like the older harleys. The new Goldwing is very nice. The Urals make me want to put my wife in the sidecar and ride. The Triumph Trophy seems to have died. The adv tourers that the others are putting out are all rather bland. The BMW GS and Triumph Tiger 800 drew my attention. Nothing there made me pant with desire. I had hoped for panting desire. Oh well, back to planning my upcoming trips...
    2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.

Re: Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

I missed this one was shoveling snow all weekend.

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

I hear ya. I put about 10 hrs on my snow blower since Friday. 5 houses 4 times.

I used to go every year but it seems to be the same thing year after year. Didn't even bother with it this year.

The way things have been lately we should have a snow blower show. I ran the heck out of mine this weekend.
    "Sappers Lead the Way"
    US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Perhaps it's the television channels I watch but I rarely see commercials for motorcycles. I saw
    one for Honda over the weekend. I think it was the Velocity Channel. Do any of you see commercials
    for motorcycles?

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    Perhaps it's the television channels I watch but I rarely see commercials for motorcycles. I saw
    one for Honda over the weekend. I think it was the Velocity Channel. Do any of you see commercials
    for motorcycles?
    Not too often. Now and then I'll see one on one of the motorsports channels, but not on the main channels.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovooloo View Post
    A couple friends and I attended the IMS this past weekend. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful bikes there. The new Harleys look alot like the older harleys. The new Goldwing is very nice. The Urals make me want to put my wife in the sidecar and ride. The Triumph Trophy seems to have died. The adv tourers that the others are putting out are all rather bland. The BMW GS and Triumph Tiger 800 drew my attention. Nothing there made me pant with desire. I had hoped for panting desire. Oh well, back to planning my upcoming trips...
    I have always wanted to attend one of these shows, but most of the locations are at least six hours or more away. I have family in Chicago so I guess I could combine the show with a visit. Is it just motorcycles or do the aftermarket also have displays set up for their products?
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    for motorcycles?
    Harley advertises quite a bit on the coverage of NHRA drag racing. I think I saw a commercial for Suzuki's new SV650, but I can't remember what channel I was on. BMW used to run some cool commercials a year or two ago.

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I have always wanted to attend one of these shows, but most of the locations are at least six hours or more away. I have family in Chicago so I guess I could combine the show with a visit. Is it just motorcycles or do the aftermarket also have displays set up for their products?
    There were some aftermarket vendors. Mostly, it is manufacturers and the usual group of show vendors selling apparel and trinkets. If I lived six hours away.... I would skip it. It isn't worth the travel time.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

I used to drive ( 4 and 1/2 hour drive ) up to Chicago for this show. The last time I went it sure seemed like the number aftermarket vendors had really dropped off and the bike manufacture displays were not as large and had fewer bikes. I witnessed this same decline happen at the St. Louis International Motorcycle show until it was no-more.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S