Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mile High Campground

Mile High Campground

Cherokke NC anybody camp here? thinking about a couple nights before Chillout. Want to ride the Moonshiner and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://campmilehigh.com/

Re: Mile High Campground

Looks like a good find! I may have check it out after the Spring thaw...

Most folks tell me it's a rustic experience, I've thought about camping there. But I usually end up at Pisgah or Blue Ridge Motorcycle CG. If I'm paying that much I rather have a decent bathhouse with hot water and lighting. Hopefully mile high has improved since I last checked. Let us know how the amenities are.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by SageDrifter View Post
    Most folks tell me it's a rustic experience, I've thought about camping there. But I usually end up at Pisgah or Blue Ridge Motorcycle CG. If I'm paying that much I rather have a decent bathhouse with hot water and lighting. Hopefully mile high has improved since I last checked. Let us know how the amenities are.
    Thank you, for some reason I thought both those places were more north of that area. Thinking Mount Pisgah will be my pre Chillout campground for a couple nights.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kar650 View Post
    Thank you, for some reason I thought both those places were more north of that area. Thinking Mount Pisgah will be my pre Chillout campground for a couple nights.
    I'll most likely be staying at nearby Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, a night or two before the Chill Out, then hop back on the BRP to 441, then Little River Road to Townsend/Foothills Pkwy to 129/72/411/68 to Hunt's. - https://goo.gl/maps/ZUnxDyXcC952
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Mt. Pisgah CG has a couple of single showers, I think it's the push button type, warm water. But it's nice and cold up there at night in the summer, like 55 degrees and windy. Good place to hang out if you want quiet during the week.

Just a few miles away the motorcycle camp ground has Hot showers you can soak in if needed for less money, plus the lounge area and food on the weekends. I find the temperature at night pleasant at the brmcg, good for sleeping in a tent after the sun goes down. You can ride up to the Pisgah Lodge for breakfast. That's a great spot for a base camp, I like going to hot springs for a nice loop or even down to one of the waterfalls for a dip. Dupont down south has huge waterfalls you can swim, it's in the low county and a residential area though. Worth a visit Imo.

I just don't like Hunts in the summer heat, I sometimes camp near by at the Cherohala Trails CG when it's cold out, right south of there are forestry roads and places off road to explore. That CG is open all winter with heated private bathrooms and if it's really cold they have rustic cabins with heat or AC for the summer. But it's a bit warm for me in Tellico Plains in June, I seek out higher elevations by then or an air conditioner in a cabin. I hate tents in weather over 75 degrees, I've been getting soft for years. I've had enough camping in hot humid weather over the years.

And keep in mind the weather up on Pisgah, the morning fog can be extremely thick sometimes.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I'll most likely be staying at nearby Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, a night or two before the Chill Out, then hop back on the BRP to 441, then Little River Road to Townsend/Foothills Pkwy to 129/72/411/68 to Hunt's. - https://goo.gl/maps/ZUnxDyXcC952
    Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground wins, Hope to get there by Monday ride a little of the parkway and the Moonshiner 28 then head to Hunts Lodge Wednesday or Thursday.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bOAH2YbMbYC21n

One of the better places I have stayed anywhere down in that area....

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bOAH2YbMbYC21n

One of the better places I have stayed anywhere down in that area....
    I agree Four of us will be here for a week before the Chillout....Great campground .......
    RIDE TO LIVE !