Thread: Which ADV Bike You Use?

Which ADV Bike You Use?

Contemplating a camping return from Ohio to Alaska. A few years ago I made the trip on a Goldwing1800 pulling a Mini Mate camper. It went VERY well and the wing did not know the camper was back there unless I had to REALLY brake hard. I just really tried to stay out of those situations.

I've sold that bike and now want to return in 2019 to Alaska AND ride the Haul Road. The wing handled the softness of the repaving efforts up north very well pulling the trailer. I would just tell the pilot car driver I would lay back from them so I could keep my momentum up JIC they had to slow for a bulldozer etc.. As folks that have been there know, they strip to bare earth and start over when fixing roads up there. So soft dirt, gravel is the norm. I admit I was real lucky with the weather, as I did not have my heavy rain days, (yes I had several) when I encountered reconstruction areas. REAL lucky.

The gist of the question here. What ADV bikes have you used to pull a camper/trailer with to Alaska? Thinking Kaw Versys, Yamaha Tenere, Triumph Tiger, or BMWGS. Thoughts on your experience with a chain drive in all that muck up north? I know the shaft drive won't have that problem but.........

Availability of ready made hitches for those type bikes? Don't want to build a hitch myself.

Stopping a trailer with these type bikes? I don't want to mount trailer brakes.

I will take any and all suggestions.

Thank you for your time and replies!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Which ADV Bike You Use?

I can't give you any advice about pulling a trailer with my 650 V-Strom, but I can tell you about the chain. I put on a new DID brand X ring chain before I left, and even with keeping it adjusted, cleaned and lubed it was done after 14,100 miles. My buddy who went with me replaced his in South Dakota on the way back. He had just over 2,000 miles on his BMW GS700 when we left. We had a bunch of hard rain and quite a bit of muck. Would I do it again? Absolutely, hopefully in 2020 or so!

I'm not sure what I'll be riding next time, but I'm thinking it may be something like a DR650 or a KLR650. I can't wait to test a Honda Africa Twin, but I'm almost afraid to!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Every bike is an Adventure bike!

As to towing a camper up the haul road I do not recommend it. A small cargo trailer maybe but a camper, no way.

As to a choice of ADV bike a lot would depend on your budget. If you insist on towing a camper bigger is better, 1000cc or more.

My wife and I have ridden the haul road on our 650's and we had a great ride. They were a KLR650 and XR650L. Over most of it I was thinking we could have ridden our wings with out any trouble, but there were sections that were some of the worse conditions I have seen. Mud 4-6 inches deep due to DOT watering the road for miles and areas of fresh rock from golf ball to baseball size, it was like riding on marbles.

We rode it in dry weather, if it was raining I would have gone elsewhere. Keep your plan flexible.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Every bike is an Adventure bike!

As to towing a camper up the haul road I do not recommend it.
    Very good point! I plan to leave the camper in Fairbanks and pick it up on the way back.

Thank you!

Good plan!