Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gonna give moto camping a try....question about KOA

Re: gonna give moto camping a try....question about KOA

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    The vast majority of National Forest campgrounds in CO do not have showers.

The vast majority of State and National Parks DO have showers!

KOA's .... couldn't tell you as I never have stayed at any of their establishments

There are ways to keep 'sanitized' without having a shower every night, or you can pack along a compact portable shower bag if you must have a shower every day/night. Just have to be 'discreet' where you set up.
    Baby wipes work well also.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

What I like about KOA's is the fact that a lot are near interstates. If you are crossing the country they are handy to use. Cost isn't an issue as there are normally two or three of us traveling together. Every one I've been to would let you put up to three tents on a site. Most have a store, and many offer prepared meals.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

If you are in no particular rush to get from Point A to Point B, COE (Corps of Engineer) campgrounds for the most part do have water/electric and bathrooms with hot water and showers...and are reasonably priced....especially if you are in possession of a Senior Access Card which will get you the site for 1/2 price.

State Parks for the most part also have W/E/showers...and you can get directories for both COE and State Park locations and their amenities. Can find info concerning these directories on line...For COE info email: info@cottagepub.com I think the book is around $15.95 or Google Howrey Publishing....For State Park material try www.TravelBooksUSA.com or phone 800-455-2207...That should fix you right up...

Aloha!

I went through a phase about 10 years ago where I would ONLY stay at KOA Campgrounds. I found them clean, friendly and familiar, with decent shower and toilet facilities and good camp stores. They are like staying at a Holiday Inn. You KNOW what you are going to get. I joined the rewards program, got the 10 percent discount, and used my points to get free nights.

They can be crowded if you are going during peak camping season. They can be empty if you are not. Most of the owners treated me very well. I also found some really great deals on camping equipment at the KOA stores at the end of season. Got a nice folding camp chair for under $10, and a nice pair of boots that I used for riding in rain for under $30. Many have great coffee and donuts and other snacks, but I do remember one KOA in Pennsylvania that had free coffee in the morning and it was excellent.

I remember staying at a KOA near Jamestown, NY in early June (just before school let out) and had the whole tent campground area to myself for two nights. Stayed at a KOA near Wilmington, NC and was eaten alive by Red Bugs in the tent camping area. Stayed at a KOA in Southern Kentucky in early April and FROZE MY BUTT OFF. I think it went down to 28 degrees that night. And I had no tent heater(s) and only one of those fleece sleeping bags. Finally jumped on the bike at 2:00 AM and rode to Walmart to buy a regular sleeping bag. Stayed at a KOA in Florida and was stung so many times by Fire Ants that I had to go and buy some Fire Ant repellent for the 2nd night. KOA near Macon Georgia had the biggest snake I ever saw slither through my camp site. Freaked me out. He looked very old and very well fed.

Another Florida KOA saw freakishly cold temps in January where the nightly lows went down to 30 degrees and damp. Luckily I had a tent heater and was comfy and cozy in my little 3 man tent. I was the only tent camper there and the owner felt sorry for me (freezing so she thought) so she gave me free home made cookies and coffee every morning. She'd say "Oh you poor thing, you must have FROZE last night in that little tent!" I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was sleeping in my skivvies on top of the sleeping bag because the tent heater had my little tent up to about 80 degrees F.
    Her cookies and coffee were spectacular, and "free" is a good word. So I let her think I was freezing.

I'll spare you the Midwest and Western KOA stories, but all in all, I liked them, although they are a bit pricey. Crowded is luck of the draw. You can't expect any public campsite to be empty during peak camping season.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

They are not our first choice due cost and crowd but we stay in them when necessary. We like state, national, city, and Army Corp of Engineers parks. State Parks in OH and WV have showers and electric at many sites. We stayed in an awesome city Park in Sioux City Nebraska on trip to the west coast. Over 200 sites with concrete pads. It had full hook-ups, super clean showers with AC and heat, live music, and was only $23 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Aloha! I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was sleeping in my skivvies on top of the sleeping bag because the tent heater had my little tent up to about 80 degrees F.

-3Sport
    What kind of tent heater do you use?
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    What kind of tent heater do you use?
    Back then, it was just one of your regular ceramic 500 watt / 1000 watt heaters. I think I ran it on the 500 watt setting to be safe and not blow a breaker or overheat the extension cord. For a 3 man tent, that's plenty of wattage.

These days, I use TWO of these little 200 watt heaters. 400 watts total. One on each end of the tent. I have upgraded my tent to a 5 person 9 x 9 foot raised wall dome, and these two 200 watters keep it comfy enough down to around 32 degrees. Any lower and you will want to add one more or go to a 1000 watt ceramic.

Here are my current 200 watt heaters: AMAZON Click for link.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71MS5hFaRwL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	22005

These are small so two of them are about the size of one 1000 watt ceramic, and they are very light for packing. They put out a surprising amount of heat for 200 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    They are not our first choice due cost and crowd but we stay in them when necessary. We like state, national, city, and Army Corp of Engineers parks. State Parks in OH and WV have showers and electric at many sites. We stayed in an awesome city Park in Sioux City Nebraska on trip to the west coast. Over 200 sites with concrete pads. It had full hook-ups, super clean showers with AC and heat, live music, and was only $23 per night.
    I love Ohio State Park campgrounds. Especially in Southern Ohio and especially Hocking Hills. The shower/toilet facilities at Hocking Hills remind me more of a luxury hotel than they do a campground. And the scenery and hiking at Hocking Hills is spectacular. Southern Ohio is beautiful especially in the Fall. As is West Virginia. When people think of Ohio, they think Flat and Industrial rust belt. But that's NOT southern Ohio. Not by a long shot. The southern part of the state is hilly and spectacular with amazing twisties for riding. Check out State Route 555 if you want to test your twisties skills. It's not the Dragon, but it's not tame either.

We live less than 2 miles from OH state Rt 555 and the intersection of State RT 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    We live less than 2 miles from OH state Rt 555 and the intersection of State RT 50.
    The Triple Nickle (SR 555) is challenging to most riders. It certainly is to me on my Honda. The Triumph takes it a bit better. Fun ride. Love southern Ohio.