Thread: Aspen Classic Towing

Aspen Classic Towing

Question to you trailer towing folks:

I have an 06, 88 inch Harley Ultra with low end cams, and have been pulling my HF trailer around the country for 2 years with no problems. Max weight in trailer, probably 200-250 lbs.
    I just bought an 06 Aspen Classic, A++ shape, but am wondering if there are others pulling this heavy of a trailer with an 88 inch motor. Sure, I know 'bigger is better', but just curious if anyone has this setup, and if you notice any serious towing issues.

Thanks!

Camping season is fast approaching.... but NOT fast enough!! LOL!

Jerry

Re: Aspen Classic Towing

Welcome to the site. I can't help you on HD matters but I am sure they will chime in shortly.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

I have a 2016 ultra low that I pull the classic with. It has no problems pulling the Aspen. I did put on the longer tow bar which makes for a much smoother pull. Additionally the tow bar came with a jack stand that has eliminated the jackstand fight I was always having when I would set up.

The 2016 HD Ultra low has a 103 cubic inch engine. Hopefully someone on the forum with an 88 cubic inch engine will be able to give the original poster the answer he is searching for.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

I ran an '06 with the 88 motor with the low end cams pulling a Mini Mate without any trouble. If you have the low end cams then you shouldn't have any trouble as starting off is where most of the trouble is at pulling. You might want to consider the 95 inch 'Big Bore' kit though. You can never have too much power...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Thanks! Good to be here.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    I ran an '06 with the 88 motor with the low end cams pulling a Mini Mate without any trouble. If you have the low end cams then you shouldn't have any trouble as starting off is where most of the trouble is at pulling. You might want to consider the 95 inch 'Big Bore' kit though. You can never have too much power...
    Thanks Bluetick, I believe the cams will help, they did with the other trailer. When it warms up a bit more, here in M'boro, TN, I'm going to hook up and ride 41 to Monteagle pass. Pretty good little hill and pull. I'll add around 120# of weight to the camper. Don't plan on much more than that when camping, though time will tell.... ;-)

You riding two up or by yourself? I think 120 lbs should be about right for camping weight unless you take the kitchen sink.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    You riding two up or by yourself? I think 120 lbs should be about right for camping weight unless you take the kitchen sink.
    Solo on my Ultra. She has her own Street Glide.

I towed a Timeout for a year which we had heavily loaded with my 88 '06' Ultra. Cut my gas mileage to 32 MPG and forced me to spend a lot of time in lower gears. Was riding solo as Wife has her own Softtail. I have a street glide now with the 103 motor and its much better. The 88 did the trick though. Don't take the kitchen sink and pack light and she should do OK.

Dave