Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to buy a used cargo trailer

  1. #1

    How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Any suggestions on how to find used cargo trailers on the internet? Basically I am looking for suggestions for key search words. One person I think gave me good advice and said try pulling a trailer before buying a pop-up trailer.

    I already know how to do nationwide searches on Craigslist. My frustration is any general phrases that I have tried either pull up thousands of trailers or nothing, such as "Motorcycle Cargo Trailer". Searches for ads with all words brought up 2500 hits just in Northern Oregon and Washington, and since I am willing to go up to 1000 miles so I would need to go through tens of thousands. Searches for that exact phrase brought up one. I can find a few trailers if I use the specific model, such as I found a few MCTXL's down in Florida (not useful since I live in Oregon). But I refuse to believe for example there are no Mini-Trailers for sale anywhere.

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    ILIKEYMYWING! wingpilot08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    623

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Have you thought about trying to build your own? My first trailer was a Harbor Freight style trailer I bought from a yard sale for $25. Added lights, paint, waterproof 3/4in plywood base and cartop carrier that was donated by a friend. It wasn't pretty, but it served the purpose. Carried all my camping gear needed. Total cost to me was about $125 or so. After 3-4 years use, I sold it and made a profit! I then upgraded to a 1988 Bunkhouse..from Ebay for $600, still using it, just with a newer Wing!

    Pictures: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=358
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/al...chmentid=12302
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720


  3. #3
    Site Supporter GailForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Age
    63
    Posts
    767

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    When I was shopping for a tag trailer and camper on CL I searched both
    both the Motorcycle and Trailer sections. In each section you can filter the
    content with key words. Under Motorcycle I used “trailer.” This will also bring
    up people selling their whole rig. Bike and trailer. I found a seller this way
    for my tag trailer. He was willing to split them up. Good luck.

    Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

  4. #4
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    9

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    Have you thought about trying to build your own? My first trailer was a Harbor Freight style trailer I bought from a yard sale for $25. Added lights, paint, waterproof 3/4in plywood base and cartop carrier that was donated by a friend. It wasn't pretty, but it served the purpose. Carried all my camping gear needed. Total cost to me was about $125 or so. After 3-4 years use, I sold it and made a profit! I then upgraded to a 1988 Bunkhouse..from Ebay for $600, still using it, just with a newer Wing!

    Pictures: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=358
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/al...chmentid=12302
    The only way I was going to consider building one was converting a Harbor Freight trailer since I found step by step instructions for that, unfortunately they no longer sell trailers. I am very unhandy. Some models of the Harbor Freight had problems, which is why I do not want to buy a remaining "new" one at inflated prices in the internet. Nice way for me to say I am jealous.

  5. #5
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    9

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    When I was shopping for a tag trailer and camper on CL I searched both
    both the Motorcycle and Trailer sections. In each section you can filter the
    content with key words. Under Motorcycle I used “trailer.” This will also bring
    up people selling their whole rig. Bike and trailer. I found a seller this way
    for my tag trailer. He was willing to split them up. Good luck.
    I will have to try filtering on key words. I have was not aware of that feature in CL.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SW PA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    45

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Here's a link to a new inexpensive cargo trailer. Very similar to the one Harbor Freight used to sell.

    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2633_200692633

  7. #7
    Bob Vail bvail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    I'm shocked that HF would stop selling those 40"X48" trailer kits. I built three of them over the years and never had an issue with them. There was a recent recall due to the lights. That's all I know about issues.

    I purchased this (made in China) Lumina motorcycle trailer and will be getting it on Monday. An MLK Day gift from me to me

    https://theusatrailerstore.com/lumin...cycle-trailer/

    I think it's a lot of bang for the buck and really easy to put together.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

    My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    9

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    I have had three of those usatrailer store units and no problems. My neighbors still pull two of them. When I first looked, I had better results just using Google and searching for "pull behind motorcycle trailer".
    YMMV
    Shirty

  9. #9
    BigBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Age
    65
    Posts
    678

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    I'm shocked that HF would stop selling those 40"X48" trailer kits. I built three of them over the years and never had an issue with them. There was a recent recall due to the lights. That's all I know about issues.
    .
    The HF trailers where pulled due to a recall due to their tires needing to be DOT compliant. They should return
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

  10. #10
    Bob Vail bvail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: How to buy a used cargo trailer

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    The HF trailers where pulled due to a recall due to their tires needing to be DOT compliant. They should return
    Thanks for the info. I thought it strange that they disappeared as they were very popular.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •