Thread: brakes on camp trailers

brakes on camp trailers

ok i think the wife and i have decide on the roll a home trailer.i also see they can come with electric brakes and also the will install there controller in the trailer. i'm new to the electric brake thing foe bikes, i have used them on trucks and trailers so i am kind of familiar with them. how many people have them and dont have them? what type should be used .

A proportional brake controller senses how the tow vehicle is slowing or stopping and applies the trailer's brakes with the same intensity. So if you slam on the brakes in your tow vehicle, the controller will activate your trailer's brakes just as forcefully. With a proportional controller, you can adjust the initial braking power and aggressiveness based on your trailer's weight and your braking preferences.

A time-delayed brake controller activates the trailer's brakes with a preset intensity (power output) and rate of application (sync), both of which are determined by you. With this type of controller, there is a delay between the time that you initially apply the brakes in your tow vehicle and the time that the controller reaches maximum power output to the trailer's brakes. However, this delay can be adjusted with the sync setting.

where have you install the unit on bike in trailer? i have heard this is the model to get Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - like i said the trailer we are looking at has a brake controller option which i may go with. thanks for the info it all helps in the end.

Re: brakes on camp trailers

First off, you made a good choice, the RAH is a great trailer and Billy has been making improvements on it. I had the brakes installed when I ordered the 2017 RAH. They put the wiring for the trailer inside on the back left side in a nice box making it easy to get to all the wiring, I put my (proportional) controller just behind it. They're both out of the way there.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Glad you asked this question. I too, am strongly considering a RAH and had brake questions. Thanks for the info guys.
    Smiles for miles and miles

What is RAH?

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    What is RAH?
    Roll-A-Home
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

The RAH is made down in Missouri. I had mine shipped up to North Central PA for an additional $750. I thought it seemed like quite a bit but figure it would have taken me three or four days off work, staying in hotel, meals and gas, I think it was a bit cheaper then going to pick it up.

If you're ordering it, get the brakes. It saved my a$$ on a trip up to Connecticut this summer. Going down the interstate at about 80 (which seem to be cruising speed for the area) when I see a line of cars entering the road so we pull over into the passing lane as the cars come on. About the third or fourth car coming on goes around all the cars and into the passing lane right in front of me. No problem until they spike their brakes!! Going from 80 to almost stop with cars in the other lane and behind me there was no place to go so it was a panic stop. The trailer brakes did their job. If I didn't have the brakes I'm thinking I would have been in the back seat of the car. You guys that don't believe in them can say what you want but when it's a panic stop all the careful riding in the world won't help you... If you want to save a couple dollars you can put your own controller in cheaper then the one they sell. If you're worried about the extra 30 (?) pounds then leave the extra case of beer at home.

They are made in Oklahoma.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70