Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, no trailer yet though

New member, no trailer yet though

Looks like this forum is just what I needed to research options for a trailer.

Two years ago I bought a tent I can stand in and a cot. I love it, especially after sleeping many months in smaller tents on forest fires. I only used it for a total of about 8 nights car camping locally since I sold my motorcycle just before I bought the tent.

I recently bought a 2016 Can-Am Spyder and realized I can tow a small trailer. I always had two large saddle bags and a large top case on my motorcycles. Though with a luggage rack I can carry two dry bags on the Spyder instead of one, the saddle bags are so small that I do not have significantly more storage than on motorcycles. For that reason I am undecided between buying a small cargo trailer or buying a pop-up tent trailer. I want to be able to carry my tent, cot, regular folding chair .... or spend some more money and be able to set things up in a fraction of the time.

Hope you don't mind me asking questions.

Re: New member, no trailer yet though

Welcome to the forum.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Howdy from No. VA. You will find all the info here you need to decide which you want to do
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Welcome to the site. Remember, there isn't any 'wrong' way to camp on a bike, just what works for you. If you've already got a cot and tent etc then maybe going with a lightweight tow behind cargo might be the answer.. and could be a lot cheaper too. A Harbor Freight style is pretty cheap and easy if you're handy, or one of the other lightweight 'car topper' style trailers won't break the bank and don't necessarily need things like brakes etc. Any way you decide to go, hope you have fun doing it!

Welcome to the forum. I started with a cargo trailer for the first couple of years. Found one in great
    shape for a few hundred dollars on Craig’s List. After joining this group and attending several of our
    events I got the itch for a camper. Since my wife doesn’t camp a Mini Mate seemed to make sense.
    I love it. Still have the cargo trailer too. Great for around town or short trips. Good luck.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Welcome and as they say, "look before you leap". Lots of choices, the hardest part is deciding what you need and can afford. Are you camping alone? Bare minimum or everything plus the sink? Don't see an age so I assume you're still one of us working stiffs which brings up the question of how long you camp? Going to be a month long trips or just the weekends? Might check out this thread about campers.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Welcome and as they say, "look before you leap". Lots of choices, the hardest part is deciding what you need and can afford. Are you camping alone? Bare minimum or everything plus the sink? Don't see an age so I assume you're still one of us working stiffs which brings up the question of how long you camp? Going to be a month long trips or just the weekends? Might check out this thread about campers.
    I am retired, more of a bare minimum, and has a wife who prefers to stay home rather than camp. I bring a one burner stove, make dishes that I can eat out of the pot, avoid foods that require refrigeration, etc. But I do like showers, a comfortable bed, little hassle, being able to stand up, and being able to make and eat meals inside my shelter when it rains. Something like a Lees-ure Lite is really appealing since it looks really quick to set up and take down, quicker than my tent. Unfortunately I have not found something with a "dressing area" big enough for a small camping table and a chair, yet is really quick to set up and tear down.

My old motorcycle saddle bags were great since they were detachable and I could put them in my tent and pop them open.

There's a bunkhouse king bed posted on the Bunkhouse forum. It's listed as a 2010 for 2200.00 obo with the add a room.

Located in Columbus,Indiana

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Welcome to MotoCampers!

I would start off with a cheap/used cargo trailer that would fit all the gear you take now.
    That way you'll find out whether tugging a trailer is for you, how your bike handles the increase load of towing (handling, drop in fuel mileage, braking/accelerating, increase load on engine/tires, making wider turns, reversing etc.)
    Having a cargo trailer can make it easier to pack your camping gear once you devise a system of containers to use keep your gear organized.
    If you find you don't care for it, you're not out that much money and they are usually easily sold.

Before committing to getting a camper, attend a couple of our camp outs to see 1st hand how long/complicated it is/takes the owner of different brand campers to set up/tear down, features, pros/cons, worth the cost of purchase etc.
    If you are a camp 1 night and move on type of camper, forget about getting an add on room as setting up/tearing those down gets old very fast and are bulky/heavy!!

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

You don't need no camper to go a-motocamping.

Hit the road for a few trips and then you'll know what you need.

To be clear, I'm very much a "to each his own" type of guy and for the record, I'm not a super minimalist or anti-trailer snob.

I just find some personal satisfaction in keeping it simple. But you won't know until you try, and you may very well find that you are looking to invest and maintain something to carry a lot of stuff you'll never use.

In any case, happy motocamping.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.