Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trailer comparison

Hybrid View

trailer comparison

ok made up a comparison on a few trailers tried to keep them in the same price range was very surprised on the lees-ure lite bed size and cost compared to the small unit mini mate that has a much wider bed,only problem with the mini-mate is the add a room is extra and you need to attach it, not interested in doing that every nite or other nite when traveling . Still thinking either the aspen sentry or the roadman full. Any one have any different campers they use i would be interested in hearing about them. thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer compare.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	21892

Re: trailer comparison

The Aspen Classic, King Size bed and a 6x6 dressing area, very little difference in empty weight...think I would get the brakes on it...would add another 40 lbs...but for the added size there is not a lot of difference in pricing...and the occasional preowned Classic pops up here as well...large underbed storage, reasonably easy to put up and take down....

Just my 2 cents worth: I own a 2005 Aspen Classic which I've towed (with a GL1800) thru numerous states, both flat and hilly and have many miles on it. The only mods I've done is to add a shore power outlet for electric service, changed out all the lights to LEDs and installed 5-spoke aluminum wheels with 5:30-12 tires. Well built and very roomy, especially since I travel alone. More room than anyone needs.

But - if I were to do it again I'd take a real hard look at the Roll-A-Home trailers or one of the other makes where the top of the trailer hinges down to become the floor of the dressing area. The tent of my Aspen (the dressing area) is directly on the ground under which I first put down a tarp as a ground cover. Invariably, the underside of the ground cover gets damp and covered with sand and dirt which must be swept or brushed off before folding up to use again the next night (a real pain in the axx to do). Some Aspen owners don't use a ground tarp and let the tent reside directly on the campground surface but then the bottom of the tent must be brushed off before final folding. Also, because the tent is directly on the ground I always spray around it's perimeter to keep ants out.

Anyway, that's the only gripe I've got. Like I say, if I had to do it over again I'd buy a camper where the top hinges over to become the floor of the dressing area which has to be easier and faster to fold up than what I currently go through. Just my 2 cents . . . .

(Threadstarter)

yes we believe we are going with a roll-a-home . the set up is easy and almost at once. i think since we do a lot of traveling and most the time its one night set ups that the r-a-h will be easy and pain free unlike the others and also up off the ground and the storage i like you can get to it when the trailer is closed up unlike most others

Quote Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
    yes we believe we are going with a roll-a-home . the set up is easy and almost at once. i think since we do a lot of traveling and most the time its one night set ups that the r-a-h will be easy and pain free
    My second purchase p'up was just for this reason. Sometimes my girls joins me but most trips are solitaire. After riding for a long day I like being able to pull into just about anywhere and pop the top on the camper, a beer and be ready to unwind and snooze in minutes.

The only downside to these style is the sheer size of flat ground you need. But it's a trade-off I'll take.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

If you can, I suggest you head on up to one of the campouts, rallies or events (ie Americade) to see some of the campers in person. Also keep in mind the manufactures reported weight isn't always honest.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

fireshine

I would think your choice is pretty easy at this point, I would be answering these questions:

1) How big do you need the unit when set up? Is it just you or for 2?
    2) Whats your riding style? Aggressive or passive?
    3) Whats your bike? Has it the power range for either choice?
    4) Weight matters? How important is bike & riding performance?
    5) Trailer dimensions? Does it matter to you?
    6) How do you intend to use it? Rallies - touring - extended stays?

There is no perfect set up, to get something you give up something.

For us a trailer is now a necessity. I'd rather not pull anything, because it changes my riding style, and that's why we chose a trailer that would least affect the riding experience, but there are compromises. Other trailers have faster set up times and have more usable space. Those benefits were not important to us, so for now, our choice works for us, it fulfills a need, comfort.

Good luck

I have a 2 year old Aspen Classic that is going up for sale soon....Has all the fancy stuff..Has been used 2 seasons..Harley colors..Most of the riders here are familiar with it..I have been at Chillout the last two years !!
    RIDE TO LIVE !

One thing on your leesure lite comparison, it that $5095 is Canadian pricing. USD would be about 25% lower....

--
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    One thing on your leesure lite comparison, it that $5095 is Canadian pricing. USD would be about 25% lower....

--
    Gordon
    Also, the original or "cycle" model is 48" wide and the "excel" model is 54" wide and they both sell for the same base price, per the website.