Thread: roadman campers?

roadman campers?

has anyone seen or have one of these campers? www.roadmancampers.com/store was thinking of a aspen sentry or a kompact kamp. 2 person using it

Re: roadman campers?

I have never seen one, looking at the site It looks like a bit of work to setup. I think it would be a handful setting up the first few times in the wind or rain. It looks like the sleeping area is not flat, it looks like one half is higher? I don't think my back would like that ......
    Aspen, Bunkhouse and Rollahomes are tried and true units that have the bugs worked out and would set up quicker.
    Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

i thought it was weird the way you need to set it up but they say this for why they designed it that way -Our campers are not like others on the market, when you open the trailer cover it does not fold out or pop up into an instant camper. This is for 3 reasons: 1; loss of space inside and on top of the trailer due to the tent and mechanics- 2; there is added weight from the extra mechanics - 3; our campers are designed to be used as a camper and a trailer. Set up time is approximately 7 minutes for one person. i watched how its set up similar to setting up a tent everything stores in there own bags i think if its wet the others seem to get other stuff wet inside maybe someone can let me know how it is when a aspen or similar trailer gets wet and they need to pack up?

When I have to fold up my RAH standard and its wet I use a towel to wipe excess water and then fold it up. My sleeping bag and sleeping clothes are left on the sleeping area. I put a fleece blanket over the top of my sleeping gear. When mine folds up the tent fabric and poles are mostly not contacting my sleeping gear. They have stayed dry every time. My cargo area is under the sleeping area and its bone dry. When I do have to fold up wet if I ride into dry weather I will stop for a few minutes and partly open the cover and it dry's out quickly if the sun is out and or a breeze.

As to getting to the cargo area when the camper is set up my RAH and Aspen campers have a large hatch that opens up so you can get thing out easily with the camper set up.

As to set up time, with my RAH Standard I can be set up in a minute if the weather is nice. If its windy I have a few other velcro straps to fasten and that takes another minute or two for this old fart to bend down. The fastest set up is with the Leessure Lite. I have seen them setup in about 15 seconds. The quicker campers are nice when the weather isn't nice.

I have one and love it.

Its easy to set up, and take down, the trailer is narrow, & light. Has a built in vestibule. We don't take the bag for the tent when we go, I cinch the tent with a couple straps - gets it compact, wet is not an issue for us.

I customized the inside.

What else do you want to know.

(Threadstarter)

is the bed platform even the entire length? on e pic looks as if the platform is 2 different heights which size trailer do you have does it seem to have plenty of room and does it keep the rain out well?

The bed platform is level, but you need to adjust the jacks on the trailer side. Lots of room - do you mean to lie down? I'm 6 feet 180 lbs, and I fit no problem. In terms of room to move around, vestibule, etc, I think there is lots. We (wife) hang all our gear on pole hooks in the vest, no issue.

We have the full size unit. We have been in some rain, no issues, the roof is coated. I don't have interior pictures, sorry, and I have it stored "on it's end" to save garage space so its not really accessible.

Here are a couple pictures. I took the decals off and painted the wheels, added a couple items.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	21889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	21890

The pict on the right was taken at a lunch stop. The tent is on the front cooler.

The trailer is 1" wider than the bike on each side, and it tows easily behind the Concours 14.

I had the Roadman on my list of possibles when I thought I was gonna buy a camping trailer, mostly because it appears to be one of the lightest campers out there. They used to advertise that it could be pulled behind something as small as a 650 Vstar. The fact that the tent is totally detachable as a feature, you can bring it or not making it a very versatile unit. It's not going to be as easy or as quick to set up as a RAH, or a LeesureLite or an Aspen.. but it's a lot lighter and it can be JUST a cargo trailer if that's what you want it to do. The one biggest drawback that I saw for the setup that bothered me was the front awning setup.. you HAVE to be able to erect poles, which means it HAS to be setup on soft ground or someplace you can set up stakes. I don't see the setup time as being that bad.. not much different really from just setting up a regular tent and you have the advantage of having most of it up off the ground.

Using this trailer as a 2nd purpose trailer is not a reality IMO. At a minimum you would need to line the inside to prevent damaging the skin. I did that anyway - but hauling general materials in it would be risky.

If you camp on pavement, yes, securing the poles would be an issue when setting up the awning on the vestibule.

I actually asked them a number of years ago on the RAH web page (before I actually owned one) about making a second top for their camper so you could pull off the camper and use it as a cargo trailer. They said they considered it but thinking back I'm sure they were just humoring me. Would be a real hassle pulling off the top and trying to get it back on later. Would be a nice feature though with the nice big cargo area and instead of having two trailers in the garage.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA