Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

  1. #41
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    24

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Depending on your 'style' and what roads you're riding, 300 mi would be a pretty full day's ride ... at least for me while motocamping.
    I like to be on the road around 7 am and pull off around 4:30 - 5:30 at the latest to ensure I have a campsite and relax while setting up camp/cooking dinner.
    I detest setting up camp in the dark!

    That is what I am looking to do, I once did a 2 week trip where I pulled a kwik kamper and was on the road around 8 and off the road by 3 so that I could enjoy the campground/pool/area and just hang out. It was a great time, my total mileage for the trip didn't rack up but that wasn't the purpose of the trip.

    When you get further north, you'll be able to ride longer due to the length of the day, but road/weather conditions will probably deteriorate
    Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I plan my trips as Dusty does. That day of rest or short travel is a good rule of thumb. As I said earlier, the hard part is just doing the ride day after day. I found that leaving that day free to make up for lost time or clean up myself and my gear, made the other days a lot more relaxed. I've found that you can't do it all in one trip, realizing it was the break through. Our trip, which was 32 days, started and returned to northern Michigan, ended up being 12k miles. We did do some 400-500 mile days in the beginning and the end.

    Richard
    The only time I get tired of riding day after day is riding 4 lane roads. When I went to Colorado the trip out and back was boring because we took 70 out and back. But traveling for a month I may change my attitude about being on the bike day after day, I guess we will have to see. We have talked about taking a ferry on the way back at different locations and even taking it to Seattle if weather or fatigue start playing a factor.

    I do believe you have nailed it by saying you cannot do it all in one trip. Every trip we have done I believe we have changed/altered because once we were on the road we changed our mind. I think that is why we like not having an agenda or planning on being here or there at a certain time or day, taking it day by day breaks up the trip.

    Your trip from Northern Michigan to Alaska and 12K miles seems like you did a lot of zig zagging. Mapquest tells me my trip is less than 10k and I am in Western PA. Also 12k miles in 32 days tells me you averaged 375 miles per day, which I like hearing because I am planning on 300 miles per day.

    Don

  2. #42
    MCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nanaimo British Columbia
    Posts
    30

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    I'm not sure if your aware of this site. A lot of great trip info on Alaska.

    http://advrider.com/index.php?forums...epic-rides.99/

  3. #43
    3SportBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Hawaii, Florida, Ohio
    Posts
    380

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I know it's been said, but it can't be overstated. The hard part of doing Penn. to Alaska, is getting on that bike in the morning and getting off it 10-12 hours later and then doing again the next day and the next day...... A bud and I did it from northern Mi in 2014. That much riding will wear on you in ways you might not expect. We had a good trip and I am ready to go again. 30 days can be enough, but some determination might be required. Be aware that gas is cheaper on the US side when making plans.

    Richard
    So true. My first cross country trip from Florida to Washington State taught me that lesson. I was seriously buff then. I was an Ironman Triathlete, I pumped a lot of iron, swam 1 mile every morning in a club pool, and ran about 3 miles (5k) every day. But 300-500 miles a day on my Triumph Trophy with that slight lean forward riding position (Sport Tour) did things to my upper back and neck and shoulders that required me to pop Advil like M&Ms. I couldn't believe the pain. I had to stop a few times at rest areas and lay down on a picnic table to relax the upper back and shoulders and neck. Took me a week to get used to being on that bike for THAT long a period every day. And I probably was gripping the handlebars like I was pumping iron back then, so that didn't help with muscle pain. It's honestly why I bought the Honda with a more upright position, highway pegs, and a big wind screen. But that's another story.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

    "He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    northern Michigan
    Age
    71
    Posts
    848

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Don,

    We did do some zig-zagging, but you will be so close to some things that you should make the side trip. For instance, we could have used Washington hwy 20 across the northern cascades (a beautiful road and well worth doing), but we went a little further south and did Spiral hwy, lolo pass, bear tooth, chief joseph, and cody, wy on consecutive days. The point isn't to make it the shortest trip you can, but to make it the most enjoyable trip you can. There aren't any wrong choices to make, just different ones. Hopefully it won't be your last long trip, because there'll be plenty left to do on your next one.

  5. #45
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    24

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    I'm not sure if your aware of this site. A lot of great trip info on Alaska.

    I don't think I have, at least from what I can remember in my searching. I found a thread that fit my needs perfectly....thank you

    http://advrider.com/index.php?forums...epic-rides.99/
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    So true. My first cross country trip from Florida to Washington State taught me that lesson. I was seriously buff then. I was an Ironman Triathlete, I pumped a lot of iron, swam 1 mile every morning in a club pool, and ran about 3 miles (5k) every day. But 300-500 miles a day on my Triumph Trophy with that slight lean forward riding position (Sport Tour) did things to my upper back and neck and shoulders that required me to pop Advil like M&Ms. I couldn't believe the pain. I had to stop a few times at rest areas and lay down on a picnic table to relax the upper back and shoulders and neck. Took me a week to get used to being on that bike for THAT long a period every day. And I probably was gripping the handlebars like I was pumping iron back then, so that didn't help with muscle pain. It's honestly why I bought the Honda with a more upright position, highway pegs, and a big wind screen. But that's another story.
    I learned that lesson a long time ago.....back in the day I had bikes that put you forward and couldn't ride very long before pain started coming. I have put many 10 hour days on my cruiser bikes now and don't seem to have a problem, it has to fit you right so that you can be comfortable for the long haul. My butt is about the only thing that will give me problems but I have an air pillow now I bought for the gf that I intend on using.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Don,

    We did do some zig-zagging, but you will be so close to some things that you should make the side trip. For instance, we could have used Washington hwy 20 across the northern cascades (a beautiful road and well worth doing), but we went a little further south and did Spiral hwy, lolo pass, bear tooth, chief joseph, and cody, wy on consecutive days. The point isn't to make it the shortest trip you can, but to make it the most enjoyable trip you can. There aren't any wrong choices to make, just different ones. Hopefully it won't be your last long trip, because there'll be plenty left to do on your next one.
    I hit some of those road when I went to Sturgis in 2012 and we made a big loop heading into Montana first through Yellowstone and then back to SD. Tell me more about Spiral hwy and Lolo pass, I might not have done them and want to see where they are located. Thanks

  6. #46
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,922

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    You would remember doing Lolo Pass if you rode it!

    Lots of great fast sweepers beside a beautiful river with nothing between Lolo and Kamiah! Make sure you fill up with fuel in Lolo!




    The Spiral Hwy is when you're coming into Lewiston just off of US 95, Best done going downhill!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

  7. #47
    burgman650
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Paris, TN.
    Age
    77
    Posts
    81

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Dusty, which way is down hill, North to South or the other way?

  8. #48
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,922

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Lewiston lays along the Clearwater and Snake River basins, so riding it down hill is north to south, as you descend into the river basin.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    northern Michigan
    Age
    71
    Posts
    848

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Spiral Hwy is a good story. As I was just started planning for my first long distance ride, someone suggested making a list of places and things that I was interested in doing. Then as plans developed keep the list in front of you, using it as a guide. It was just luck of the draw, but the first thing on the list was the Spiral Hwy. As it happened it wasn't part of the first trip....or the second or third trip, but in 2014 coming back from Alaska, it helped make the decision to do the route we did. I think most of us will have a similar experience about a particular place that didn't quite work for one trip, but becomes part of a later one. Part of what makes me tick is finding out what's over the next hill and what's the road like getting there.

    Richard

  10. #50
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    24

    Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    You would remember doing Lolo Pass if you rode it!

    Lots of great fast sweepers beside a beautiful river with nothing between Lolo and Kamiah! Make sure you fill up with fuel in Lolo!




    The Spiral Hwy is when you're coming into Lewiston just off of US 95, Best done going downhill!
    If you had to pick one route from Orofino to Lolo would it be 11 or 12?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •