Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

(Threadstarter)

Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    Sorry for confusing the routes.

I took #2 from Idaho east a few years ago and I made reasonable time with decent scenery. If you do that west bound, I would cross into Alberta at Sweetgrass because west of there, #2 is very slow. Once in Alberta, there are a few good options north.
    I am planning on going through Glacier but not sure if I am hitting it on my way up or coming back. Again weather will play a role, I am thinking the loop I plan to run can be ridden either way. Thank you again for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    A good route around Chicago for you guys, would be to pick up US23 near Toledo north to I75, north across the Big Mac and take US2 west at that point or (I would)go a little further north and pick up M28 west. That will shave a few miles and you'll have less traffic. Both are in great shape and quite scenic. 28 intersects 2 at Wakefield just before you cross into Wisconsin. From there you have to navigate through Duluth and you will have a straight shot all the way to GNP. The shale oil work in N Dakota has settled down and I think you can make as good of time on US2 as you could on I94.

Richard
    Thank Richard not only will this help me but it will help others who have been following along.

Don

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I'd be aiming for Glacier NP for the return trip as the park's 'main feature', The Going-To-The-Sun Rd (TGTTSR) usually doesn't open up until mid June (earliest) to mid July (at the latest) depending on the amount of snow (snow pack) they receive and I believe this winter has been an above average year.
    I've been to Glacier 4 times and TGTTSR was closed the 1st 2 times I visited, which was June 23 and July 8 of different years (09, 11)
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I'd be aiming for Glacier NP for the return trip as the park's 'main feature', The Going-To-The-Sun Rd (TGTTSR) usually doesn't open up until mid June (earliest) to mid July (at the latest) depending on the amount of snow (snow pack) they receive and I believe this winter has been an above average year.
    I've been to Glacier 4 times and TGTTSR was closed the 1st 2 times I visited, which was June 23 and July 8 of different years (09, 11)
    good info, thanks again

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I've been a couple of times and plan on going back in a couple of years or so. If I had a set amount of time, I would burn up the slab west as quick as I could, then head north on the Cassiar. Save Glacier for the return trip because you will find Alaska is huge and you will want to see all of it you can!

You also have to consider you may have issues with flats, etc that can set you back a day.....or three even with the best planning. You'll probably be ending up servicing the bike along the way. Oil changes can be done in parking lots or if you stay at Thompson's Eagle Claw campground they have a small building where you can do oil changes and such.

Like others have said be sure to plan for cold weather, you can be in a tee shirt one day and a down coat the next. Unless you are charmed like Trailace you will get rained on, sometimes a lot so be prepared!

Be sure and take lots of pics so you can share them with us when you get back in a trip report!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Talked to people who made the trip and also watched the videos. Haven't made the decision to go yet, but from other trips I have taken I'd say do your sight seeing on the way out. Plan a route that gives you plenty of time to see the sights and also allows you to get used to the distances. I know one thing for sure on most of my trips I was anxious to get home and drove longer days getting here. In any case, enjoy the ride and good luck.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I've been a couple of times and plan on going back in a couple of years or so. If I had a set amount of time, I would burn up the slab west as quick as I could, then head north on the Cassiar. Save Glacier for the return trip because you will find Alaska is huge and you will want to see all of it you can!

You also have to consider you may have issues with flats, etc that can set you back a day.....or three even with the best planning. You'll probably be ending up servicing the bike along the way. Oil changes can be done in parking lots or if you stay at Thompson's Eagle Claw campground they have a small building where you can do oil changes and such.

Like others have said be sure to plan for cold weather, you can be in a tee shirt one day and a down coat the next. Unless you are charmed like Trailace you will get rained on, sometimes a lot so be prepared!

Be sure and take lots of pics so you can share them with us when you get back in a trip report!
    That is what started this post. If my overall estimated mileage is 300 per day that shouldn't be a problem to still leave enough time to site see. My 15 Harley SG with under 15k miles last year had a bad rear wheel bearing on the second day of my ten day trip last year, it took the dealer a day to fix it, so I know we have to prepare for the unexpected. The bonus will be if we start out by traveling 400 miles per day so that we are ahead of the trip. We are already figuring one day for an oil change, air filter, laundry etc. But if I am down for more than a day making up mileage can be done by doing a few 400-500. Of course certain factors go into this with weather, lodging and gas availability during late day travels. I am surprised I haven't heard from more people that actually did the trip and said I traveled X amount of miles in X amount of days and I loved my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by MacCreadee View Post
    Talked to people who made the trip and also watched the videos. Haven't made the decision to go yet, but from other trips I have taken I'd say do your sight seeing on the way out. Plan a route that gives you plenty of time to see the sights and also allows you to get used to the distances. I know one thing for sure on most of my trips I was anxious to get home and drove longer days getting here. In any case, enjoy the ride and good luck.
    Planning on meeting up this weekend to try and firm up some routes both of us want to travel and will keep your advice in mind. thanks

Doing 400-500 mi a day in Canada is tough to do, due to slower speed limits and road construction. I always plan 1 lay over day per 7 days of travel.
    I'd try and free up a few extra days for rest/maintenance/washing/emergencies etc. That way you won't be behind the 8-ball if something does come up.
    If say halfway through your trip and you're ahead of 'schedule' you can dawdle a bit, making for a more relaxed trip.
    I wouldn't say 300 mi a day in BC/Yukon/Alaska is a 'cake walk', especially with the weather you'll experience!!!! When I lived in BC, June was the 'wet month', in the Okanagan Valley, which is one of the most arid regions in the provence

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Doing 400-500 mi a day in Canada is tough to do, due to slower speed limits and road construction. I always plan 1 lay over day per 7 days of travel.
    I'd try and free up a few extra days for rest/maintenance/washing/emergencies etc. That way you won't be behind the 8-ball if something does come up.
    If say halfway through your trip and you're ahead of 'schedule' you can dawdle a bit, making for a more relaxed trip.
    I wouldn't say 300 mi a day in BC/Yukon/Alaska is a 'cake walk', especially with the weather you'll experience!!!! When I lived in BC, June was the 'wet month', in the Okanagan Valley, which is one of the most arid regions in the provence
    I didn't mean to imply 300 miles a day would be a cake walk, I am trying to gauge an average miles per day. I did mapquest a route up and back and came up with 8,000 I also added in another 2,000 just to be safe if we decide to go another route and came up with an average 300 miles for 30 days. I know my initial days leaving and heading home 300 miles will be very doable so I could easily have an extra day or day and half. I am fully expecting to get slowed down by construction and waiting until he flagger truck takes us through and it taking all day to go 100 miles. That is where if we ride the next two days doing 400 miles I can be back on my so called schedule.

It sounds like if I have to cut the trip short Fairbanks would be the city on the list as the towns around the bay are more scenic.

Can I ask you what can I expect to travel in a day say once I enter into Canada and Alaska? I know this can vary but since you have the knowledge what do you expect to do when riding?

Thanks again....appreciate everything

Depending on your 'style' and what roads you're riding, 300 mi would be a pretty full day's ride ... at least for me while motocamping.
    I like to be on the road around 7 am and pull off around 4:30 - 5:30 at the latest to ensure I have a campsite and relax while setting up camp/cooking dinner.
    I detest setting up camp in the dark!

When you get further north, you'll be able to ride longer due to the length of the day, but road/weather conditions will probably deteriorate

I plan my trips as Dusty does. That day of rest or short travel is a good rule of thumb. As I said earlier, the hard part is just doing the ride day after day. I found that leaving that day free to make up for lost time or clean up myself and my gear, made the other days a lot more relaxed. I've found that you can't do it all in one trip, realizing it was the break through. Our trip, which was 32 days, started and returned to northern Michigan, ended up being 12k miles. We did do some 400-500 mile days in the beginning and the end.

Richard