Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

(Threadstarter)

Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Ditto, the north shore of Superior, #17 is a wonderful ride.
    I am happy that you folks are including BC on one leg or the other. Beautiful BC is the highlight of most of my trips.

Getting up to the arctic circle is possible on just about any bike if it's dry, even towing. Same applies to the rest Dalton but I would not tow a trailer past Coldfoot/Wiseman and would not ride past there on a large street bike unless its dry as a bone.
    thanks for your input bigbob. I will be a cruiser so will keep the weather in mind. My thinking was from Fairbanks we was going to make this a 3 day trip. 1st day to Wiseman, 2nd to Prudhoe bay and then back to Wiseman, 3rd back to Fairbanks.

Have you been on route 4 or 2 in the Yukon? Is it worth it to hit that either going up or back? If we don't go all the way on the Dalton Hwy and have a few days to burn would this loop be worth it?

I see you are from Juneau, what type of riding is right around your home? Do you take the wing out regularly or just when you have a longer trip planned?

To me BC looks fabulous.

Don

Don,
    That is the same was the same plan we used for the Dalton on our 650's. It was a relaxed pace. If you get rained out for the Dalton, head to Denali NP and take the all day bus ride into the park.

I had to look up those highway numbers.... :-) We do not call them by numbers, we know them buy their names. Highway 2 is the Klondike highway, north and south with the Whitehorse area as the dividing point. I have driven it many times from Skagway to Dawson City. It is a paved highway but there were some gravel areas here and there. That changes every year. It is a very scenic drive.

Highway 4 is the Campbell Highway, it is 362 miles and most of it is gravel, fuel can be hard to get. I have not driven all of it yet.

Yes I have lived in Juneau since 1975. It's nice if you don't mind the rain, lack of a road out of town and wall to wall greenies.... I should move.... We only have about 65 miles of highways and we know every bump, pot hole and curve by heart. My bride and I try to take yearly trips to get out of town and run to see family in the mid-west. We also try to hop on the ferry on holiday weekends to go up to the Yukon to go camping and visit friends. BUT the ferry prices have shot up in recent years due to the low oil prices. It costs us $616.00 round trip for two wings and RAH to get to the nearest road. For many years we would to go north every Labour Day for a campout for as many 25 riders but everybody has gotten "old" and they don't do it anymore. We have two USFS campgrounds and one State Campgrounds that we use to camp at when the mood hits us.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Don,
    That is the same was the same plan we used for the Dalton on our 650's. It was a relaxed pace. If you get rained out for the Dalton, head to Denali NP and take the all day bus ride into the park.

I had to look up those highway numbers.... :-) We do not call them by numbers, we know them buy their names. Highway 2 is the Klondike highway, north and south with the Whitehorse area as the dividing point. I have driven it many times from Skagway to Dawson City. It is a paved highway but there were some gravel areas here and there. That changes every year. It is a very scenic drive.

Highway 4 is the Campbell Highway, it is 362 miles and most of it is gravel, fuel can be hard to get. I have not driven all of it yet.

Yes I have lived in Juneau since 1975. It's nice if you don't mind the rain, lack of a road out of town and wall to wall greenies.... I should move.... We only have about 65 miles of highways and we know every bump, pot hole and curve by heart. My bride and I try to take yearly trips to get out of town and run to see family in the mid-west. We also try to hop on the ferry on holiday weekends to go up to the Yukon to go camping and visit friends. BUT the ferry prices have shot up in recent years due to the low oil prices. It costs us $616.00 round trip for two wings and RAH to get to the nearest road. For many years we would to go north every Labour Day for a campout for as many 25 riders but everybody has gotten "old" and they don't do it anymore. We have two USFS campgrounds and one State Campgrounds that we use to camp at when the mood hits us.

When looking over routes it appears when you get to Upper Laird/Lower Post you can take the Alcan Hwy or Campbell (4) and then when you get to Whitehorse another decision, just trying to consider all routes. With 362 miles of the Campbell Hwy and with fuel hard to come by I doubt this will be considered. Thanks again for your info.

I agree Juneau doesn't seem like a motorcyclist heaven but making a big change is sometimes harder to do then just sucking it up and accepting it is what it is. In western PA I have access to a bunch of great tow lane twisty roads that I rarely ride twice in a given time period. It is a shame when good times like camping with a bunch of people come to an end. It took a passing of a friend for our group to get back together and do all these trips. and I see it slowly starting to fizzle out.

I was considering taking the ferry from Haines to Skagway to get back on the Alcan but it appears it could get pricey. I may forgo Haines or just back track.

The ferry from Skagway to Haines would run $87.00 for a rider with a bike. I like the drive in and out of Haines and Skagway too

I know it's been said, but it can't be overstated. The hard part of doing Penn. to Alaska, is getting on that bike in the morning and getting off it 10-12 hours later and then doing again the next day and the next day...... A bud and I did it from northern Mi in 2014. That much riding will wear on you in ways you might not expect. We had a good trip and I am ready to go again. 30 days can be enough, but some determination might be required. Be aware that gas is cheaper on the US side when making plans.

Richard

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I know it's been said, but it can't be overstated. The hard part of doing Penn. to Alaska, is getting on that bike in the morning and getting off it 10-12 hours later and then doing again the next day and the next day...... A bud and I did it from northern Mi in 2014. That much riding will wear on you in ways you might not expect. We had a good trip and I am ready to go again. 30 days can be enough, but some determination might be required. Be aware that gas is cheaper on the US side when making plans.

Richard
    If it comes to wearing on us that is why I am trying to figure out by others input. I am looking at 300 miles a day which is very doable in the states for me with no problem. If I wanna blow off a day I should be able to make that day up within 2-3 days, depending on weather and making sure that next town isn't too far away.

I think by the end of 30 days I will be ready to get off it, I just wonder what these guys that travel for 6-8 weeks feel like. I imagine that have several blow off days mixed in.

Thanks about the heads up with gas prices, I noticed that doing my Nova Scotia trip, just imagine the people that travel in rvs how much it costs them.

I don't want to rain on your parade but I think your going to be pushed to do that in 30 days without it being a blur at the end of the trip.

Sometimes you don't have the time and I get it, but I suggest you stay in the U.S and slab it to Alberta or BC in order to optimize your time, then head north from there. Same going home. Northern Ont is nice, but it is long and slow.

Also, BC will be slow, mountains, 2 lane, towns, so you can't make great time like on U.S highways.

I did a trip to Alaska a few years ago from here (Vancouver Island), I had 3 weeks, and I felt rushed, there is a lot to see, especially Alaska. We all travel on out own clock, but I think you will need to use your time wisely. You will love the mountain scenery.

Lastly, that time of year, weather can be sketchy, so pack warm gear and good rain protection.

Regardless, its a great trip.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade but I think your going to be pushed to do that in 30 days without it being a blur at the end of the trip.

Sometimes you don't have the time and I get it, but I suggest you stay in the U.S and slab it to Alberta or BC in order to optimize your time, then head north from there. Same going home. Northern Ont is nice, but it is long and slow.

Also, BC will be slow, mountains, 2 lane, towns, so you can't make great time like on U.S highways.

I did a trip to Alaska a few years ago from here (Vancouver Island), I had 3 weeks, and I felt rushed, there is a lot to see, especially Alaska. We all travel on out own clock, but I think you will need to use your time wisely. You will love the mountain scenery.

Lastly, that time of year, weather can be sketchy, so pack warm gear and good rain protection.

Regardless, its a great trip.
    Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
    I think you have my route with Fireshine's route mixed up. For some reason my link didn't hold my mapped out plan but you are right I am not going into Ontario for time shake as it will only add time onto trip. Fireshine is closer to the Ontario border and it may not be that much longer for him and plus he never was on route 17. We were trying to steer fireshine away from Chicago as my route will also not involve Chicago, I am either going into the upper UP of MI (which my friend has family up there) or take the ferry across lake Michigan north of Chicago.

I would like to ride across route 2 to take me west but may end up on 94 if weather and time will not permit. There is a possibility I was going to head into Canada around Saskatchewan and ride 1 but like others suggested it will be more expensive and perhaps the scenery won't be worth the extra expense.

I am just trying to juggle being able to see the highlights and make the trip in 30 days. My timeline 30 days and 10,000 miles seems doable but I am not sure just how long I will be able to stop and smell all the roses.

Sorry for confusing the routes.

I took #2 from Idaho east a few years ago and I made reasonable time with decent scenery. If you do that west bound, I would cross into Alberta at Sweetgrass because west of there, #2 is very slow. Once in Alberta, there are a few good options north.

A good route around Chicago for you guys, would be to pick up US23 near Toledo north to I75, north across the Big Mac and take US2 west at that point or (I would)go a little further north and pick up M28 west. That will shave a few miles and you'll have less traffic. Both are in great shape and quite scenic. 28 intersects 2 at Wakefield just before you cross into Wisconsin. From there you have to navigate through Duluth and you will have a straight shot all the way to GNP. The shale oil work in N Dakota has settled down and I think you can make as good of time on US2 as you could on I94.

Richard