Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

(Threadstarter)

Re: allowing enough time to Alaska and back from PA

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Ditto, the north shore of Superior, #17 is a wonderful ride.
    I am happy that you folks are including BC on one leg or the other. Beautiful BC is the highlight of most of my trips.

Getting up to the arctic circle is possible on just about any bike if it's dry, even towing. Same applies to the rest Dalton but I would not tow a trailer past Coldfoot/Wiseman and would not ride past there on a large street bike unless its dry as a bone.
    thanks for your input bigbob. I will be a cruiser so will keep the weather in mind. My thinking was from Fairbanks we was going to make this a 3 day trip. 1st day to Wiseman, 2nd to Prudhoe bay and then back to Wiseman, 3rd back to Fairbanks.

Have you been on route 4 or 2 in the Yukon? Is it worth it to hit that either going up or back? If we don't go all the way on the Dalton Hwy and have a few days to burn would this loop be worth it?

I see you are from Juneau, what type of riding is right around your home? Do you take the wing out regularly or just when you have a longer trip planned?

To me BC looks fabulous.

Don

Don,
    That is the same was the same plan we used for the Dalton on our 650's. It was a relaxed pace. If you get rained out for the Dalton, head to Denali NP and take the all day bus ride into the park.

I had to look up those highway numbers.... :-) We do not call them by numbers, we know them buy their names. Highway 2 is the Klondike highway, north and south with the Whitehorse area as the dividing point. I have driven it many times from Skagway to Dawson City. It is a paved highway but there were some gravel areas here and there. That changes every year. It is a very scenic drive.

Highway 4 is the Campbell Highway, it is 362 miles and most of it is gravel, fuel can be hard to get. I have not driven all of it yet.

Yes I have lived in Juneau since 1975. It's nice if you don't mind the rain, lack of a road out of town and wall to wall greenies.... I should move.... We only have about 65 miles of highways and we know every bump, pot hole and curve by heart. My bride and I try to take yearly trips to get out of town and run to see family in the mid-west. We also try to hop on the ferry on holiday weekends to go up to the Yukon to go camping and visit friends. BUT the ferry prices have shot up in recent years due to the low oil prices. It costs us $616.00 round trip for two wings and RAH to get to the nearest road. For many years we would to go north every Labour Day for a campout for as many 25 riders but everybody has gotten "old" and they don't do it anymore. We have two USFS campgrounds and one State Campgrounds that we use to camp at when the mood hits us.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Don,
    That is the same was the same plan we used for the Dalton on our 650's. It was a relaxed pace. If you get rained out for the Dalton, head to Denali NP and take the all day bus ride into the park.

I had to look up those highway numbers.... :-) We do not call them by numbers, we know them buy their names. Highway 2 is the Klondike highway, north and south with the Whitehorse area as the dividing point. I have driven it many times from Skagway to Dawson City. It is a paved highway but there were some gravel areas here and there. That changes every year. It is a very scenic drive.

Highway 4 is the Campbell Highway, it is 362 miles and most of it is gravel, fuel can be hard to get. I have not driven all of it yet.

Yes I have lived in Juneau since 1975. It's nice if you don't mind the rain, lack of a road out of town and wall to wall greenies.... I should move.... We only have about 65 miles of highways and we know every bump, pot hole and curve by heart. My bride and I try to take yearly trips to get out of town and run to see family in the mid-west. We also try to hop on the ferry on holiday weekends to go up to the Yukon to go camping and visit friends. BUT the ferry prices have shot up in recent years due to the low oil prices. It costs us $616.00 round trip for two wings and RAH to get to the nearest road. For many years we would to go north every Labour Day for a campout for as many 25 riders but everybody has gotten "old" and they don't do it anymore. We have two USFS campgrounds and one State Campgrounds that we use to camp at when the mood hits us.

When looking over routes it appears when you get to Upper Laird/Lower Post you can take the Alcan Hwy or Campbell (4) and then when you get to Whitehorse another decision, just trying to consider all routes. With 362 miles of the Campbell Hwy and with fuel hard to come by I doubt this will be considered. Thanks again for your info.

I agree Juneau doesn't seem like a motorcyclist heaven but making a big change is sometimes harder to do then just sucking it up and accepting it is what it is. In western PA I have access to a bunch of great tow lane twisty roads that I rarely ride twice in a given time period. It is a shame when good times like camping with a bunch of people come to an end. It took a passing of a friend for our group to get back together and do all these trips. and I see it slowly starting to fizzle out.

I was considering taking the ferry from Haines to Skagway to get back on the Alcan but it appears it could get pricey. I may forgo Haines or just back track.

The ferry from Skagway to Haines would run $87.00 for a rider with a bike. I like the drive in and out of Haines and Skagway too

I know it's been said, but it can't be overstated. The hard part of doing Penn. to Alaska, is getting on that bike in the morning and getting off it 10-12 hours later and then doing again the next day and the next day...... A bud and I did it from northern Mi in 2014. That much riding will wear on you in ways you might not expect. We had a good trip and I am ready to go again. 30 days can be enough, but some determination might be required. Be aware that gas is cheaper on the US side when making plans.

Richard