Thread: from Wi to Co this spring/summer

from Wi to Co this spring/summer

Hey all! Planning a ride from Rhinelander, wi, out to Colorado. Coming out of Denver, we're thinking of taking 285 out towards Del Norte, then 160 to Cortez, down to the 4 corners. Back to Cortez, then 145 to Placerville, 62 back over to 550 north to Grand Junction. Then east on 70 over to 40 north to 34 into Estes Park. Then straight out 34 to 76 and on home.

Will be towing our tag a long trailer with an 03 Heritage springer, carb, with a cam upgrade. Will be leaving late May/early June. We have 10/12 days to complete the entire thing. Was thinking of taking 3 days to get to Colorado, 5-6 days in state, and 3 days back home.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	21879

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: from Wi to Co this spring/summer

Yes ...... leave a month later if possible, especially if camping !!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

You say your engine is carbureted? ... Two up? ... Pulling a trailer? ... You may need to rejet your carburetor getting up into the higher altitudes of the Rockies.
    Air is rather thin up there, your engine won't like it much with stock jetting. You may find yourself running out of power ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Co-145 from Cortez to Co-62 is a great ride but US-550 from Durango north to Ridgway (the Million Dollar Highway) is one of the best rides in the country. If you haven't ridden the Million Dollar Highway you are definitely missing a premier ride. Southern Colorado has a lot of great roads, but you will experience cool weather even in the summertime so bring some warm gear.

When you start climbing those passes be sure not to lug the HD or the carbs will be spitting gas. Keep the RPMs up a bit.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Co-145 from Cortez to Co-62 is a great ride but US-550 from Durango north to Ridgway (the Million Dollar Highway) is one of the best rides in the country. If you haven't ridden the Million Dollar Highway you are definitely missing a premier ride. Southern Colorado has a lot of great roads, but you will experience cool weather even in the summertime so bring some warm gear.
    I agree, also 141 to Grand Junction from Placerville is not to be missed either. Colorado National Monument and Grand Mesa are great rides also. Between Durango and Cortex, visit Mesa Verde National Park, well worth the stop just gas up before going in. If you haven't already gotten the yearly national park pass or have a senior pass, I highly recommend it