Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who turned off the heat?

(Threadstarter)

Re: Who turned off the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    The temperatures went from -5* on Sunday morning and climbed quickly to the 20's as the day progressed. It's remained above freezing ever since and is expected to be in the 50's by the weekend.

Of course, now we've had a day of snow and some freezing rain while the warm-up progressed, but it's better than freezing fingers. I'm more than happy this last three weeks of abnormally low temps is over. Now I'm the waiting for the next heating and electric bills for my home and business which are likely to be epic.

I'm looking forward to Spring more than ever. Thoughts of an early, maybe April, trip to the Great Smokey Mountains to kick off my motocamping year keep me a little warmer while I'm waiting.
    I usually try to hit Hunt's for the first time in early May... Weather has been great then for the past several years! As for our current heat wave, (WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM CST FRIDAY TO 6 AM CST SATURDAY...)

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. The ice will result in
    difficult travel conditions. Total snow accumulations of one to
    two inches and ice accumulations of one tenth to two tenths of
    an inch are expected.

Again, I'm glad my bike is in the shop this time of year...

67 degrees here Southeastern OH yesterday, freezing rain now with 3-5 inches of snow predicted to follow and (-2) for a low tomorrow. CRAZY weather!

Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    It was a balmy 5 degrees in St. Louis this morning. The truck sure
    did groan when I left for work.
    If you ever see an ST1300 out in the 5 cold, give me a wave. I'm usually eastbound around 6 am and westbound on 64 around 6pm. The cold is no reason to neglect the bike, it needs it's oil to be warmed and circulated too.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    If you ever see an ST1300 out in the 5 cold, give me a wave. I'm usually eastbound around 6 am and westbound on 64 around 6pm. The cold is no reason to neglect the bike, it needs it's oil to be warmed and circulated too.
    At one time I followed your philosophy, but these days I find it more prudent to keep the bike, (and myself), under cover... Blowing snow and temps in the upper teens this morning, with several more days to follow next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    At one time I followed your philosophy, but these days I find it more prudent to keep the bike, (and myself), under cover...
    With a 45 mile commute, the bike is my goto vehicle. Saves my sanity and gas.

(Threadstarter)

Another round of arctic air accompanied by several hours of snow today... Living in the hills here in rural Tennessee there is no snow removal or brine treatments on secondary roads, so with temps staying below freezing we are somewhat stranded for a few days! I do have a four wheel drive SUV for emergencies, but my tire tread is pretty low and probably not advisable except for emergencies? My car is a full sized rear wheel drive, which is useless for getting up and down the steep grades back and forth to my house. At least there is no ice accumulation problem right now...

5-6" snow on the ground now, high today was +12...even though it was sunny...right now...6:45 pm it is 7 above...with a ZERO before morning...looking forward to this electric bill....

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    5-6" snow on the ground now, high today was +12...even though it was sunny...right now...6:45 pm it is 7 above...with a ZERO before morning...looking forward to this electric bill....
    Hopefully the snow layer will help to insulate our underground water pipes... (been lucky so far ).

I have been leaving a small stream of water running day and night with the temps are below 15 degrees or so...just to be on the safe side since the ground is frozen pretty well down a couple of inches...

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    I have been leaving a small stream of water running day and night with the temps are below 15 degrees or so...just to be on the safe side since the ground is frozen pretty well down a couple of inches...
    I installed some outdoor stuff about ten years ago for my shop, and kennel. It froze a bit the first year out in the shop, so I did the insulation/heat thing... So far so good!