Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best purchase of 2017?

Re: Best purchase of 2017?

I not sure if its the best buy I've made, but I purchased a used LL in Feb. and used it 13 nights, I'm just not sold on it. I used to pull a little Cargo Mate trailer w/all my camping gear, but sold it when I got the LL, I'm think that I might go back to a cargo trailer and tent camping.. If I do, I'll probable sell the LL and look at a N-Nine single wheeled trailer to pull behind the Wing..

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
    I not sure if its the best buy I've made, but I purchased a used LL in Feb. and used it 13 nights, I'm just not sold on it. I used to pull a little Cargo Mate trailer w/all my camping gear, but sold it when I got the LL, I'm think that I might go back to a cargo trailer and tent camping.. If I do, I'll probable sell the LL and look at a N-Nine single wheeled trailer to pull behind the Wing..

Good thing about the LL, you will have zero issues selling it for a fair price.
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by pothole View Post
    Finally broke down and bought my first "Brand New" bike.

After over 50 years of riding and buying used bikes I finally did it. LOL

Problem is, it is so new that no one is making a hitch for it yet so, I found a guy in south Florida that builds motorcycle hitches. Contacted him and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I rode down to Ft Meyers (500 mile road trip) and he used my bike to make a pattern. Month later he sent the prototype to me to test fit. Everything worked great so, I'm sending the prototype back and he is "giving me a brand new hitch" for my troubles. I'll get it in about another month, black powder coated to match my new bike.

Oh yea, the new bike is a 2018 Harley Heritage with the 114 engine. I put a couple thousand miles on it then had a Stage II done to it.
    Nice looking bike. No doubt you will get miles of smiles out of it.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Sujada View Post
    Ordered (on their winter promotion) and picked up our new Aspen Classic in April. Listed our Mini Mate on Facebook and luckily had a guy blowing up my phone in 40 minutes. Within 60 hours he drove down from MN and was at the front door, cash in hand.

Installed a stage one on the road glide with DK Customs intake, Fuel Moto Jackport 2 into 1 exhaust and dynavision tuner. Nice little gain in HP and reduction in heat from getting rid of the Cat. Picture below is prior to this work
    Good thing about all the smaller campers like the MM, LL, etc is that if you list them at a fair price...they are gone quickly. Can't wait to read about your likes and dislikes with the Aspen. Doing any mods over the winter?

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I would have to say 3 items.

One being a new to me 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour.
    I love all the different looks I can get from this bike with the quick connect trunk, passenger backrest and luggage rack, or without any of those.

2nd
    would be a large Therm A Rest Mondoking 3D self inflating sleeping pad that is 4" thick!
    Kind of large n bulky when deflated and rolled up, but the sleeping luxury and not having to inflate it is worth it, especially for the price I got it for!

Lastly is a 2 man tent that I had recommended to my friend Beemer Brad. It's an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2, with aluminium poles.
    I got to see it in person/action this past season when Brad and I hooked up for a trip together and I was impressed by the value of this roomy, yet fairly compact low budget tent, which I picked up for under $88.

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Dusty,

You picked up some really nice items. Tell me about that Thermarest pad. Better than the Synmat?

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I managed to pick it up for $154 CDN including shipping ($121 US).
    It's 4" thick and it's kind of bulky when deflated, but due to it's construction/shaping allows for greater 'sleeping area' over the Synmat.
    It's also quieter than the Synmat and warmer as well.
    I don't have to add any air to it as it keeps my hips and shoulders far from bottoming out on the floor/ground due to it's thickness, which was my major complaint of all my other Therm-A-Rests I've owned previously
    I found the Synmat awkward to inflate unless I was using a picnic table/camper bed to spread it out on to inflate it using the hand pump.
    A little slower to deflate and roll up the Therm-A-Rest, but not too much as it has dual valves, which makes for fairly quick inflation!!.
    I have a lot of nights on my replacement Synmat and am starting to get a little worried it will delaminate on me like the previous one did, so when I saw the Mondoking 3D, I snapped it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6E671AB-5513-47AF-81E5-52335552EDCA.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	428.2 KB 
ID:	21867

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I managed to pick it up for $154 CDN including shipping ($121 US).
    It's 4" thick and it's kind of bulky when deflated, but due to it's construction/shaping allows for greater 'sleeping area' over the Synmat.
    It's also quieter than the Synmat and warmer as well.
    I don't have to add any air to it as it keeps my hips and shoulders far from bottoming out on the floor/ground due to it's thickness, which was my major complaint of all my other Therm-A-Rests I've owned previously
    I found the Synmat awkward to inflate unless I was using a picnic table/camper bed to spread it out on to inflate it using the hand pump.
    A little slower to deflate and roll up the Therm-A-Rest, but not too much as it has dual valves, which makes for fairly quick inflation!!.
    I have a lot of nights on my replacement Synmat and am starting to get a little worried it will delaminate on me like the previous one did, so when I saw the Mondoking 3D, I snapped it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6E671AB-5513-47AF-81E5-52335552EDCA.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	428.2 KB 
ID:	21867
    Thanks for the feedback. At Chillout I would love to lay in your bed on it :P

Bought a new RAH. Set it up in the basement last week to add a few more gadgets.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

I finally retired my old 03 suzuki Vstrom 1000, bought a 2014 (new-off the showroom floor) 1000 Vstrom. I rode up to Two Wheels of Suches in October, great little trip on a great bike.