Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alaska planning

Re: Alaska planning

Here is http://gl1800riders.com/forums/80-gl...oad-paved.html

Alaska Jack has been mentioned around here before and he has put together an extensive collection of pictures. This thread is on another site, but take a few minutes and get a good idea of what you're planning for.

(Threadstarter)

update on trip june 27 2020 departure date 5 weeks wife is flying out and riding back like to know who else is planning a june july 2020 trip maybe share plans
    2012 goldwing
    2012 timeout xl1800
    2014 roll a home
    2017 africa twin

(Threadstarter)

looks like the wife will be flying out to anchorage and then riding the trip back, will be taking the wing and the roll a home or if the wife is not going i will be taking the africa twin and tent camping the whole way and change up the rout so i can go on the tow highway i may just go with the wing there i just cant give up the wing and comfort have a year to decide but i have my routes and overnight stops all planned out. leaving june 27 2020 at 4 am

Will follow this with interest if this site is still up... or in the Facebook group. May look at this for the summer of '21.

Quote Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
    looks like the wife will be flying out to anchorage and then riding the trip back, will be taking the wing and the roll a home or if the wife is not going i will be taking the africa twin and tent camping the whole way and change up the rout so i can go on the tow highway i may just go with the wing there i just cant give up the wing and comfort have a year to decide but i have my routes and overnight stops all planned out. leaving june 27 2020 at 4 am

sounds like you can't make a wrong choice because both end up with you riding a motorcycle to Alsaka.....the tow road is the one road I wished I did.....I believe you should be able to do the tow road with the wing

For sure a wing can be ridden to Prudhoe and back, and if conditions are good it can be done without a lot of stress. My concern would be how much I trusted the weather prediction for the time needed to complete the side trip. It's certainly not a decision that I would make more than a day ahead of time. Then the decision becomes whether or not to allocate the time to go to Fairbanks and points north while realizing that I was subject to the whims of the weather.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    For sure a wing can be ridden to Prudhoe and back, and if conditions are good it can be done without a lot of stress. My concern would be how much I trusted the weather prediction for the time needed to complete the side trip. It's certainly not a decision that I would make more than a day ahead of time. Then the decision becomes whether or not to allocate the time to go to Fairbanks and points north while realizing that I was subject to the whims of the weather.
    Richard
    I think he was meaning the top of the world highway that runs thru chicken, dawson and such. I thought he meant the Dalton/haul road as well.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by redbank View Post
    I think he was meaning the top of the world highway that runs thru chicken, Dawson and such. I thought he meant the Dalton/haul road as well.
    yes i will be going to the arctic circle sign staying the night at Marion campground and then we work our way back to NY i was wondering since i will have 2 weeks to get to Anchorage airport since my wife will be fling up i was thinking of going to Alaska by way of the TOW hwy from Dawson to tok. just thinking wasn't in my plans but i will have i figure 3 or four extra days so im looking into that route at the moment