Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alaska planning

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Alaska planning

Quote Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
    ok made a route change to see the comparison to both routes what do you think

https://goo.gl/maps/gHZqMFnwgYy route thru canada
    https://goo.gl/maps/pBdEs4kVG3n route around chicago
    Have you ever ridden a bike through/in the GTA (Toronto) before???
    The route you show will incur a charge of $29.47 in toll fees going that way on the 407!!
    If you are bound and bent to cross over into ON, then I'd recommend this way as there is far less traffic/major highways and is far more scenic/relaxed

What is your planned route home? I see that you are totally bypassing Banff/Jasper National Parks in either of your proposed routes

Myself ....I'd keep to the US as long as possible before cutting north, due to more/cheaper camping opportunities and far cheaper fuel prices Stateside!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

no i never have i just drew up this route quick to give me a idea because most people say to avoid chicago, i drivin in chicago a couple times on i 80/90 didnt have any problems that was my initial route untill i decided to try through canada and yes i have a different route back which drops into montana and yellowstone map wont let me make route through Yellowstone but we are going to go the bear tooth and then chief Joseph to Cody here is the route https://goo.gl/maps/z2kgBz7Q4z82 we will be coming down 37 bc to jasper/baniff/ glacier. does the route look ok?

Yes, tough planning routes at this time of year as Google Maps refuses to route through certain areas due to seasonal road closures!

I've been stuck in traffic jams more times than not in/around Chi-Town. Once for 6 hrs south bound in Chicago on your original route! That was a very long day from Minot ND to Oshawa, ON (26 hrs!!)

OK ..... once you leave the Banff/Jasper area, I highly recommend taking the Kananaskis Trail (Route 40) from the TCH 1, east of Canmore down to Longview on Route 22 !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kananaskis Trail.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	21909

Then continue along from Longview taking this route to Glacier NP and to Red Lodge to go over the Beartooth/Chief Joseph past Cody to one of the several National Forest Campgrounds on the East side of Yellowstone NP and then continue following this route through the Black Hills area and avoiding Chi-Town, to home. (US 20 through IA and US 24 from Logansport to Fort Wayne IN and a lot of US 30 through OH is 4 lane and not heavily traveled, so much more relaxing and scenic, yet still making good time!)

I use this resource the most for finding campgrounds. - http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

If needing more help/suggestions .... holler!

Dusty

no i never have i just drew up this route quick to give me a idea because most people say to avoid chicago, i drivin in chicago a couple times on i 80/90 didnt have any problems that was my initial route untill i decided to try through canada and yes i have a different route back which drops into montana and yellowstone map wont let me make route through Yellowstone but we are going to go the bear tooth and then chief Joseph to Cody here is the route https://goo.gl/maps/z2kgBz7Q4z82 we will be coming down 37 bc to jasper/baniff/ glacier. does the route look ok?
    I would imagine Chicago traffic can be doable if you hit it just right, my thinking is why take the chance on sitting in traffic for hours? Why not explore a little more and keep the pavement moving under your bike? Your route seems good out in Montana and Wyoming as we did this swing a few years back. I never made it to Glacier but Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph were awesome. Elevation plays a huge roll in temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Have you ever ridden a bike through/in the GTA (Toronto) before???
    The route you show will incur a charge of $29.47 in toll fees going that way on the 407!!
    If you are bound and bent to cross over into ON, then I'd recommend this way as there is far less traffic/major highways and is far more scenic/relaxed

What is your planned route home? I see that you are totally bypassing Banff/Jasper National Parks in either of your proposed routes

Myself ....I'd keep to the US as long as possible before cutting north, due to more/cheaper camping opportunities and far cheaper fuel prices Stateside!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Yes, tough planning routes at this time of year as Google Maps refuses to route through certain areas due to seasonal road closures!

I've been stuck in traffic jams more times than not in/around Chi-Town. Once for 6 hrs south bound in Chicago on your original route! That was a very long day from Minot ND to Oshawa, ON (26 hrs!!)

OK ..... once you leave the Banff/Jasper area, I highly recommend taking the Kananaskis Trail (Route 40) from the TCH 1, east of Canmore down to Longview on Route 22 !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kananaskis Trail.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	21909

Then continue along from Longview taking this route to Glacier NP and to Red Lodge to go over the Beartooth/Chief Joseph past Cody to one of the several National Forest Campgrounds on the East side of Yellowstone NP and then continue following this route through the Black Hills area and avoiding Chi-Town, to home. (US 20 through IA and US 24 from Logansport to Fort Wayne IN and a lot of US 30 through OH is 4 lane and not heavily traveled, so much more relaxing and scenic, yet still making good time!)

I use this resource the most for finding campgrounds. - http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

If needing more help/suggestions .... holler!

Dusty
    Good stuff Dusty, thanks

(Threadstarter)

yes we made a trip out to wyoming,montana,colorada back in 2016 was out there when the had the fires that shut down south entrance, we were in grand Tetons and we had to go to jackson over the pass to idaho up to west yellowstone entrance didnt make the bear tooth ran out of time since we had to go from Cody down to Estes park co. hope to hit them spots on this trip this will be a trip of all trips for us and then only one long one left that the wife wants to do ( NY to California by way of the south route up along the pacific and back across the mid west

yes we made a trip out to wyoming,montana,colorada back in 2016 was out there when the had the fires that shut down south entrance, we were in grand Tetons and we had to go to jackson over the pass to idaho up to west yellowstone entrance didnt make the bear tooth ran out of time since we had to go from Cody down to Estes park co. hope to hit them spots on this trip this will be a trip of all trips for us and then only one long one left that the wife wants to do ( NY to California by way of the south route up along the pacific and back across the mid west
    I was just in Jackson Wyoming in October for business, I rented a truck for two days and took the fiance up through the Tetons and Yellowstone and stayed in Gardiner Mt at a bnb, then turned around and came back a different way. One of the passes in Yellowstone was already closed due to snow, which is uncommon that time of the year.

We are uncertain if we are hitting Glacier going up or coming back. I did mapquest how far it was from Prince George to the Redwood National Forest then back to Glacier and it adds another 1,400 miles to the trip. Us guys living closer to the East Coast always should consider one of the must do roads for motorcycles.

The Going-To-The-Sun Rd in Glacier NP usually doesn't open until mid June at the earliest and as late as mid July depending on the winter (snowpack levels) they are having. !

The western mountains create their own weather and snow lingers for a long time in the high passes, as it's still winter up top until early May, even though it may be low 80s in the valleys!!

Bighorns late June ....

Beartooth Pass, late June (33*F) .....

Partway up the GTTSR in Glacier where the road was closed off. Late June (been there years where the road was closed at Avalanche Creek in early July!) .....

Heading up near Beartooth Pass early July. .......

GTTSR in Glacier NP, July 17, the day they opened the road!! .....

I'm not going to say you'll run into those conditions, but be aware that's how things can be out that way, especially earlier in the riding season (May/June), so be prepared and take along heated gear!

Dusty

awesome pics, weather will play a roll in if we hit glacier first or on the way back. I will have heated gear. I didn't take it when I went to Sturgis and did our loop of bear tooth and Chief Joseph, not sure what I was thinking but that trip we rode in weather those two weeks that easily swung 50 degrees in temp