Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow in Dixie

Snow in Dixie

So the weather forecast was for maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of snow yesterday, nothing to rush out and buy up all the bread they said. So it starts snowing a little overnight Thurs into Friday, they starting changing the forecast to more snow. So it snowed pretty much all day at my house with a little sleet and rain mixed in for good measure before the snow really kicked in. We ended up with around 10 in at my house. The Weather channel said Atlanta has had more snow than Chicago this year, go figure.

Trees and tree limbs started coming down in the afternoon into last night, could hear em all night breaking and falling. Son and I spent the first part of today using our chainsaws helping some of the neighbors. One tree blocking road, another tree blocking my neighbor across the street with the tree laying on the car of her next door neighbor, etc. Here are a couple photos. (click on photo to enlarge)

Frosty has a smile on his face, he likes all the snow. We've been sitting him out each winter for decades.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow 2017 frosty.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	21835

Tree blocking our road.

Name:	snow 2017 tree3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	21836

Tree across my neighbors driveway

Name:	snopw 2017 tree2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	21834

This used to be a metal gazebo next to my pond. First time EVER to have damage due to snow.

Name:	snow 2017 gazebo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	21832

We bought us a small travel trailer a month or so ago, hope to get it back out again soon. It will warm back up.

Name:	snow 2017 camper.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	21833

View from my front porch this morning.

Name:	snow 2017 porch2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	21837
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

Re: Snow in Dixie

Nice pictures, sorry for all the trees. This is likely a wet snow so be careful about snow gathering on top of the RV as the rooftop air conditioners are meant to keep rainwater out but not inches of wet snow, which can leak over the top of the rain dam.
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

Dang Meach...That's a lot of snow for your neck of the woods...We didn't get a flake in Northern Mississippi...Didn't really want to..Hope it melts away soon..
    RIDE TO LIVE !

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

With all the trees down, did you lose power?
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

We missed it all here in Pulaski Tennessee, but it's cold here...

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by wa5vhu View Post
    Nice pictures, sorry for all the trees. This is likely a wet snow so be careful about snow gathering on top of the RV as the rooftop air conditioners are meant to keep rainwater out but not inches of wet snow, which can leak over the top of the rain dam.
    Thanks for the heads up. Can't say I've ever lived where you had to worry about too much snow, this was pretty rare. Last time I recall having this much snow was big storm of 93. I got out this afternoon and got most of it off.

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdan View Post
    Dang Meach...That's a lot of snow for your neck of the woods...We didn't get a flake in Northern Mississippi...Didn't really want to..Hope it melts away soon..
    Ironically last winter they had a big storm predicted with lots of snow, instead we had a lazy, rainy day. This time it snowed hard most of the day with breaks now and then. Was pretty to watch, nice being retired. I kept my son updated as the snow added up, he was able to leave work early but still took him 3 hrs, everyone else had the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    With all the trees down, did you lose power?
    Not us, pockets not far away with loss. Some commercial was down, traffic lights out, gas stations with no power (son was gonna get gas on the way home) etc. At one time I saw on the news about 200,000 had lost power.
    One nice thing is most of our subdivision has the power lines underground thus falling trees aren't a problem. We could see the green flash of power lines touching off in the distance through out the night. It was mostly pine tree limbs weighted down with snow then breaking and falling, sometimes the entire tree would be bent over and eventually break taking out any lines near by.

We could use some of that here in Denver and all across Colorado (especially the ski areas). Been dry as a bone for quite some time. But for the time of year, it's been relatively mild here. Of course, our version of mild would be your version of cold...
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Frosty has a smile on his face, he likes all the snow. We've been sitting him out each winter for decades.

Name:	snow 2017 frosty.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	21835

Gee Meech, all that snow makes your lights so much prettier.. for Christmas..

Lorne & Judy
    Overnight Camping Available if we aren't away camping!

Hi Meach and Maggie,
    Glad you all didn't lose power. We had our first snow in Southeastern Ohio last evening. It was just a dusting. They are forcasting more this Tues. Pretty pictures. Take care and tell Maggie I said hi.
    Susan

If you've warm and have nothing going on it's a glorious site, least for the first couple days.
    But with that said, hope it goes away soon and stays that way for awhile. We're heading to FL Jan 1st and will be driving thru Atlanta on the 2nd. Wasn't it last year that the highways were shut down?