Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let teh fun begin Trailer Project

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Let teh fun begin Trailer Project

Well sat down wife talked pointed out the cost and asked why we could not do it ourslves. So watched youtube purchased a paint gun and watched youtube some more. Today we sanded the trailer down past the clear coat togehter so when my paint gun arrives and I go to the paint company to buy matching paint for the trike. Ihave an area to paint as well. Sunday was a great day as we sanded and I was able to get teh smoke running to make it a beautitful day and no NFL. Will post the painting and finish projects here on this thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24231819_10208855196691094_6940367262463328275_n.jpg   24231991_10208855198811147_6520742030269737922_n.jpg   24232561_10208855199451163_7375535237089021935_n.jpg   24293890_10208855197971126_3700095112091696550_n.jpg   24294427_10208855196171081_2518890525755804120_n.jpg  

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Re: Let teh fun begin Trailer Project

Good luck with the paint job. Just a little advice.dont try to cover with the 1st coat.put the paint on thin and let it flash off between coats.it may not completely cover on the 2nd coat.thats ok,don't rush the job .a good paint,( I like PPG) will get smoother with each coat of paint. When I let paint flash off ,I like to touch it under wheel well were it is not seen,and if it is sticky but does not come off on my finger tips ,that's when I start the next coat. If the paint does stick to my finger tips,it's not ready to recoat.

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    Good luck with the paint job. Just a little advice.dont try to cover with the 1st coat.put the paint on thin and let it flash off between coats.it may not completely cover on the 2nd coat.thats ok,don't rush the job .a good paint,( I like PPG) will get smoother with each coat of paint. When I let paint flash off ,I like to touch it under wheel well were it is not seen,and if it is sticky but does not come off on my finger tips ,that's when I start the next coat. If the paint does stick to my finger tips,it's not ready to recoat.
    Awesome thank you I am recieving a lot of pointers on this project all seem to be on target with one and other cool stuff

My hats off to you Mr Clean. I've used a rattle can to paint a few things and I've got one of those electric airless paint guns for around the house but I leave anything that matters to the professionals. What did the paint cost to match the bike? I know good paint is expensive.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    My hats off to you Mr Clean. I've used a rattle can to paint a few things and I've got one of those electric airless paint guns for around the house but I leave anything that matters to the professionals. What did the paint cost to match the bike? I know good paint is expensive.
    Not done yet but I hope to do it right LOL we changed it a little so this will be a surprize as my wife and I talked tonight.

The 1st coat will look bad. Don't let that fool you into putting more paint on to make it look better. Let it flash off. The 2nd coat will look better,let it flash off.the 3rd coat should start looking the way you want it to look.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Just to add a bit more, no more area than you are going to have to cover I would go with a base coat, clear coat. The base coats lay down like primer in medium wet coats and then you just clear over it. Usually around 20 to 30 minutes in between coats depending on the temp and humidity. You wouldn't think so but it is a lot easier than a single stage paint that you add a hardener to. Whatever you decide to use be sure and use a quality automotive paint. Like fabricater I have had great results with PPG Deltron. I've also had good results with DuPont which is now called Axalta, same paint, different name. They have a lower cost product that is branded Nason that I have used when I restored the Father in Law's tractor years ago. It was a pretty good product.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    The 1st coat will look bad. Don't let that fool you into putting more paint on to make it look better. Let it flash off. The 2nd coat will look better,let it flash off.the 3rd coat should start looking the way you want it to look.
    Thank you I love answers and continue to gather a plan

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Just to add a bit more, no more area than you are going to have to cover I would go with a base coat, clear coat. The base coats lay down like primer in medium wet coats and then you just clear over it. Usually around 20 to 30 minutes in between coats depending on the temp and humidity. You wouldn't think so but it is a lot easier than a single stage paint that you add a hardener to. Whatever you decide to use be sure and use a quality automotive paint. Like fabricater I have had great results with PPG Deltron. I've also had good results with DuPont which is now called Axalta, same paint, different name. They have a lower cost product that is branded Nason that I have used when I restored the Father in Law's tractor years ago. It was a pretty good product.
    Thank you as for the base coat using the last paint job as we took the clear coat off and smoothed out hope it works.

I forgot to ask, what grit sandpaper did you use for the final sanding?