Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer is home

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Trailer is home

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    I had a bushtec that I painted a couple of times to match different bikes. The last time I painted it black. Black seems to blend with most of the bike colors I tend to buy.
    Cool wife does not like the price

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean28h View Post
    Cool wife does not like the price
    It does cost a lot to get things painted. We can thank our government for that. The EPA gets there hand outs then taxes and wages ,SS has to be paid for employees and the cost of paint has went up a bunch. Back in 2002 I painted a bushtec hot rod yellow to match my goldwing. The paint alone cost $235 for a pint of base,reduser,hardner and clear coat. That's a lot of money for a coffee cup full of paint. I am glad I was able to spray it myself.

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

It does cost a lot to get things painted. We can thank our government for that. The EPA gets there hand outs then taxes and wages ,SS has to be paid for employees and the cost of paint has went up a bunch. Back in 2002 I painted a bushtec hot rod yellow to match my goldwing. The paint alone cost $235 for a pint of base,reduser,hardner and clear coat. That's a lot of money for a coffee cup full of paint. I am glad I was able to spray it myself.
    I do not have an area to paint and last time I spray painted looked like crap LOL. I am going to look around today and see what else is there. I told the wife I prefer a professional job.

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean28h View Post
    Well made it home had a little help to unload her and wanted to see how it would look behind the trike. Once I get my hitch and paint done we will rock on down the road. More photos in time
    Well plans change as the wife I talked about the pianting of it. I played today with a little sandpaper and paint just to see where I want to go. The two tone is out but the total silver to match will work. Wife and I taped and played today removing locks chrome rails to start sanding her down and then we will paint it and take our time to make sure no runs. What I did on the front proved we can do it and save money for trips.

Adda boy George ... By doing it yourself you’ll save enough to pay a third of the way to Alaska the next time you go ...
    Take your time prepping and painting and with a little luck, you’ll end up with a great looking trailer without breaking the bank ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

I had a bushtec that I painted a couple of times to match different bikes. The last time I painted it black. Black seems to blend with most of the bike colors I tend to buy.
    This may be our last one and so far I have a color that is very close to matching not a lot of cash into it.

My strategy is to look for a “friendly and experienced” neighbor that might be available willing to provide some skill and equipment....or at least some knowledge and advise....but you’ll be fine, having the wife there who guide you and tell you where you are going off the rails....Good luck.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Use Lacquer paint. You can immediately fix the problems that your inexperience causes. Then shoot it with clear coat.

NOTE to others: I buy my trailers already the color of my bike. It takes awhile to find the right one, but it has always worked for me. When I buy a different color bike, I keep my old (wrong color trailer) until I find the right colored trailer, then I sell my old one. I have changed colors for nothing.

By the way, I had that same trailer you have now in black.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

SCRC Borderline member
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Use Lacquer paint. You can immediately fix the problems that your inexperience causes. Then shoot it with clear coat.

NOTE to others: I buy my trailers already the color of my bike. It takes awhile to find the right one, but it has always worked for me. When I buy a different color bike, I keep my old (wrong color trailer) until I find the right colored trailer, then I sell my old one. I have changed colors for nothing.

By the way, I had that same trailer you have now in black.
    Larry long time no hear, I have not forgot you. I would love to buy the one trailer my heart desires but 5k sucks plus the extra money to match too ouch. I love this little trailer and it is coming along just fine now. Fenders are painted so tomorrow we touch up or cover to paint the body. Afterwards I have a trim job the wife suggested then clear coat it. Paint is professional grade and is 99% match as of now we shall see at teh end. Next two weekends are devoted to just the trailer plus honey do stuff. LOL she will be right there with me