Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another VTX bites the dust...

(Threadstarter)

Re: Another VTX bites the dust...

Well as expected my insurer totaled out my bike... They really fudged on estimating it's value, offering me only $4300, (or $4050 if I keep my bike). So for $250 I guess I'll be keeping the old girl and doing some repairs! At a minimum I need a new tire installed just to ride her home, then a fender and various brackets... All my brake lines may also have to be replaced as they got stretched back a little? I don't think either fork or the wheel is damaged except for some scratches, (also has a few on the fuel tank from my belt buckle). I could also try to just sell it "as is" and let somebody else worry with it...

They really fudged on estimating it's value, offering me only $4300, (or $4050 if I keep my bike).
    What is the bike really worth. I'm in the autobody industry and I see insurance companys lowball people all the time. After a bit of arguing, you should be able to get it up to a reasonable amount. (unless you got more than you expected).

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    What is the bike really worth. I'm in the autobody industry and I see insurance companys lowball people all the time. After a bit of arguing, you should be able to get it up to a reasonable amount. (unless you got more than you expected).

--
    Gordon
    I was expecting at least a thousand more, (which would have given me enough to do some repairs and sell it cheap to recoup my losses). I hate to take on repairs based on what might be damaged, only to find more than it's worth to fix... I might be better off buying it for the $250, and then just selling it for $1500 or so as a damaged parts bike? I've still got all the original parts from before adding $3500 in aftermarket stuff...

I sold my 2002 VTX retro (1800) for $3,500.00....It had 17,000 miles and lots of add-ons.....I t was in perfect shape
    RIDE TO LIVE !

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdan View Post
    I sold my 2002 VTX retro (1800) for $3,500.00....It had 17,000 miles and lots of add-ons.....I t was in perfect shape
    Yeah I should probably be satisfied with 4K and a wrecked bike to rebuild..., (but I'd rather have 6K and give them the wreck ). LOL!!

(Threadstarter)

Supposed to get my settlement check tomorrow... Then I will start ordering must have parts through the repair shop, brackets, covers, brake lines, etc... I'm working on getting a used fender from a VTXOA forum member in Hawaii, and a new set of tires online. I went over and looked at the bike this morning, (and rode it a few miles). The bike tracked straight, and brakes and shocks worked good... (no leaks). The rest is only minor cosmetic damage to the tank, fork housing, and wheel... Hopefully there won't be any hidden surprises? After I get it back on the road and put some miles on it I will probably try to sell it for a few thousand dollars like my last one? The goal is to get back the $6500 I figured it was worth pre collision, (between the settlement, repairs, and sale). Glad I have time to do all this crap during the Winter...

(Threadstarter)

I think I lucked out on finding a fender... Bought a new one of the right color in the original packaging for $300... It was in a parts store in CO, and listed as new, (but with some scuffing from packaging). They wanted $500, but I offered them $300 on the buy now option on their ebay store!

What if you take the $4000 and the bike, trade the bike in on a new one with the original parts you've got laying around? Get a grand towards a new one for it?
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    What if you take the $4000 and the bike, trade the bike in on a new one with the original parts you've got laying around? Get a grand towards a new one for it?
    You trying to confuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    I would say my bike was worth between six and seven thousand, but not sure what insurance will go to? My coverage only covers $2000 for customizing, so if retail is $4500 for my 2004 1800R then that would be about right... I found another bike like mine on C/L today for $5000, which sounds about comparable to me! https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy...356436215.html
    There is one on Craigslist.Clarksville, Tn that also has a Hannigan trailer and some heated clothing that might interest you.....