Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing up trailer

Backing up trailer

Riding a Harley Electra Glide with no reverse, Am I the only person in the world who has trouble backing up the bike when pulling my trailer?

I've pulled trailers with a truck for years and had no problems backing up anything. But the bike is something else. You turn the bars and you lean the bike ... both mean I can't catch the trailer when it starts to turn.

Is it easier with a Gold Wing with reverse?

If you want real entertainment, go with me on a ride and watch me get out of a parking space.

Re: Backing up trailer

It does take some practice to figure it out. I need reverse to back up because i can not flat foot the bike and my feet slip when trying to push backwards. I try to watch where I park so I don't have to back up or park so I am backing down a grade ( down hill).

Iím pretty selective where I park. If possible I position myself up hill to make it
    easier to roll back OR in a pull thru parking spot. The trailer still jack knifes
    quickly if Iím not careful.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Personally, I stop the bike, get off, disconnect the trailer and easily push the trailer where I want it to go. Why back up a camping trailer when you really don't need to? My Bunkhouse is very easy to maneuver even fully loaded!
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

I've had 4 campers over the years from popups to 30'. The hardest to back up was the single axle popup camper. With my Mini Mate I watch so i don't have to back up far.

Short tongue (comparatively speaking) means it'll 'knife on ya quick. I was a truck driver for years and when I was pulling my Rally Wagon I tried never to put myself where I had to do any significant backing. It had a pretty long draw bar on it.. so it wasn't horrible.. but still not something you'd wanna do a lot of.

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    Personally, I stop the bike, get off, disconnect the trailer and easily push the trailer where I want it to go. Why back up a camping trailer when you really don't need to? My Bunkhouse is very easy to maneuver even fully loaded!
    that's me.
    2003 BMW K1200LTE
    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
    Will Rogers

Having Reverse makes it real easy. I also always back into parking spaces-unless I can pull thru, makes it much safer pulling out of the space, instead of backing blindly into traffic.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

Watch where I park so I can pull straight out if possible or like Gailforce I make sure it's down hill when backing out if possible but I've backed out of parking spaces when necessary without too much trouble. Go to a mall parking lot and practice...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

No problem backing up, just use the mirrors and take your time. Pull through is safest and easiest. New Yamaha Venture has a reverse also.

p.s. Long legs are a gift.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing