Thread: Ouabache Trails Campground in Vincennes Indiana

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Tent Ouabache Trails Campground in Vincennes Indiana

Ouabache Trails Campground
    3500 North Lower Fort Knox Road
    Vincennes, Indiana 47591
    Phone# 812-882-4316
    http://www.knoxcountyparks.com/campground/

Back in September of this year I camped at Ouabache Trails Campground with the International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers or IBMC. This is always a great campout and a fantastic place to hold this annual campout event.

Probably your first question about this campground (CG) would be, how-in-the-world do you pronounce “Ouabache”?? Well, it is quite easy. Ouabache, is pronounced "Wabash", which is a French transcription of the Miami Indian word for the river. With that being said, Ouabache Trails Campground is located on the Indiana side of the Wabash River just about 5 miles north of historical downtown Vincennes Indiana.
    Ouabache Trails Campground is owned and operated by the Knox County Park and Recreation Department.

This is a really nice, quiet and clean CG. It is kinda small though, with only 35 RV (Class A) sites with electricity and water; and 9 tent (Class B) sites. There are also 4 cabins on site. I do believe all sites have fire rings, picnic tables and plenty of shade trees. The shower house is located almost in the center of the CG and is an easy short walk from all the camp sites. You will find the shower house very nice and clean, ample hot water and plenty of room in the shower stalls, with one of the shower stalls handicap accessible. (See photos below) Rest rooms are also located within the shower house as well as laundry facilities. All roadways leading to the CG and those within the CG are paved and easy to navigate. There is a CG host on-site and the CG host offers fire wood, ice and other vending for sale. Lots of nice restaurants within 5 miles. (pricing for camping and etc. listed below)

I highly recommend this CG as I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every time I have camped here. There are lots of things to see and do, in and around Vincennes IN. A person could easily spend two whole days just exploring the historical places of this lovely old town on the banks of the Wabash River.
    Below I have listed some of the highlights plus a link to my Motocampers photo essay called “Red Skelton, Giant Watermelons and Bird houses, Indiana has it!”

**As a note, please do not confuse Ouabache Trails Campground in Vincennes IN with Ouabache State Park located in Bluffton IN. There is a difference.

Prices:
    Prices for the Class A (RV) sites are $20.00 per day or $95.00 per week. The Class B (Tent) sites are priced at $11.00 per day and $70.00 for 10 days.
    Firewood is $5.00. Ice is $2.00 per bag

Highlights in Vincennes and the surrounding area:
    Fort Knox II; George Rogers Clark National Historical Park; Grouseland home of President William H. Harrisons’ Mansion; Indiana Military Museum; Old Cathedral (Basilica of St. Francis Xavier); Vincennes State Historic sites; Old French House & Indian Museum; the Tecumseh statue; Red Skelton Museum of Comedy and much more!! **Note: If you like Red Skelton and anything military don’t miss the Red Skelton Museum and the Military Museum. I give both……Two Thumbs Up!!!

The link to my Motocamper photo essay:
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...ndiana-has-it!

The shower house
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5353.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	21763 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5350.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	21764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5349.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	21769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5348.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	21766

My campsite for the weekend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5351.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	21767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5352.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	21768
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5349.JPG  

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Re: Quabache Trails Campground in Vincennes Indiana

Thanks for the pictures and review. It looks like a great place!

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Thanks for the review and photos!

It appears you were camped in one of the RV sites (were you sharing it?) Just wondering what the tenting sites were like. (?)

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650
    (Threadstarter)

Good call, Dusty Boots!! Yes, I was sharing a RV site with three other guys to save some money. Next to this RV site was two tent sites and close to the pavilion across the road was another tent site. The tent sites were level and had nice mowed grass. Each site had a short gravel driveway for access. I wish now I would have taken some photos of the tent sites.

Thank you for the review! Can you provide some additional comments/differences about the Quabache State Park?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrider1959 View Post
    **As a note, please do not confuse Quabache Trails Campground in Vincennes IN with Quabache State Park located in Bluffton IN. There is a difference.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    Thank you for the review! Can you provide some additional comments/differences about the Ouabache State Park?
    The reason I added that comment was to avoid any confusion if someone was doing an internet search for more info on this county owned campground. Since the county owned and the state owned campground are both in Indiana with the same unusual name "Ouabache" there might be some confusion on which one is which. Btw the distance between these two parks is about 240 miles according to Google maps.

I have never been to Ouabache State Park located in Bluffton IN. although I did check it out online. It looks like a pretty nice state park.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I see there are a set of railroad tracks close by.
    Were there many trains running at night?

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Great review! I have family members who live in Vincennes, this would make it great for visiting while passing through!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Dusty, yes there are rail road tracks a short distance away but, I don’t remember any noise from a train being a problem. I know if there was much noise from a train I would not be able to sleep. I have only camped here on the weekends so I don’t know if train traffic is heavier through the week days or not.

Great review thanks for sharing this.