Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Pulling question

  1. #1

    Pulling question

    I have a new (to me) Time Out Easy Camper and notice an occasional pulsing or pulling sensation when towing. This is most notable when traversing bumpy roads. I have not had this sensation when pulling my cargo trailer (Escapade).

    I have a long tongue and the hitch weight can be as low as 25# and as high as 35#. It occurs when both loaded and unloaded. It doesn't sway. Is it tire bounce or just a result of the rubber torsion bar suspension?

    Does anyone have any insight they can share?

  2. #2
    Tourit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Viewtown, Va.
    Posts
    65

    Re: Pulling question

    It’s the difference in the suspension types. My Escapade pulls much smoother than the KK. The torsion axle does not compare to the smoothness of air ride of the CSC. B
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SW PA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    43

    Re: Pulling question

    What are the tire pressures? Too high and the trailer will bounce.
    The longer tongue may also be the problem . When the bike and or trailer bounces slightly, the up/down force on the bike is multiplied.
    A good rule of thumb is to have the tongue from the axle to the ball 1/1/2 to 2 times the width of the ties.

  4. #4
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Pulling question

    Thanks for the replies. I'll check the tongue length and tired pressures. Do you have a suggestion regarding proper pressure for 8" wheels?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Red Lake Ontario, Canada
    Age
    62
    Posts
    143

    Re: Pulling question

    I run 30 lbs in my Leesure lite 8" wheels

    --
    Gordon

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SW PA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    43

    Re: Pulling question

    Quote Originally Posted by bob204bc View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check the tongue length and tired pressures. Do you have a suggestion regarding proper pressure for 8" wheels?
    Load the trailer as you would normally. Inflate the tires to about 40lbs, spray some water on your driveway and pull the trailer through the water. Look at the marks left by the trailer. You want to see the entire tire tread marks. Keep lowering the air pressure until you get full pattern. Then check your air pressure and note what it is. Probably going to be around 30lbs.
    I have a Bunkhouse and fully loaded, 500lbs total, I have about 30 lbs. Of course this depends on the tire. Some have softer sidewalls than others.

  7. #7
    Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Milky Way, TN
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,239

    Re: Pulling question

    Quote Originally Posted by bob204bc View Post
    I have a new (to me) Time Out Easy Camper and notice an occasional pulsing or pulling sensation when towing. This is most notable when traversing bumpy roads. I have not had this sensation when pulling my cargo trailer (Escapade).

    I have a long tongue and the hitch weight can be as low as 25# and as high as 35#. It occurs when both loaded and unloaded. It doesn't sway. Is it tire bounce or just a result of the rubber torsion bar suspension?

    Does anyone have any insight they can share?
    To me it sounds like a loose coupler on the trailer? The trailer may be constantly putting different loads on the hitch ball... (does it go away when riding up a grade?)

  8. #8
    Site Supporter GailForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Age
    62
    Posts
    751

    Re: Pulling question

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    To me it sounds like a loose coupler on the trailer? The trailer may be constantly putting different loads on the hitch ball... (does it go away when riding up a grade?)
    I second this. I've had to adjust the nut under my coupler on my Mini Mate. My tag trailer seemed to be fine.

    Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

  9. #9
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Pulling question

    It seems to be the most notable when the road is bumpy such as crossing transitions at bridges/overpasses or choppy road surfaces. On smooth roads it pulls fine (just not as well as the Escapade with 12" wheels and air suspension). I'm going to reset the tire pressures and try it this weekend if the weather clears.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Pulling question

    Did you check the coupler nut tension on the ball? That slap-jerk feeling is very often exacerbated by the tension on the ball being too loose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •