Thread: Lots of places I have not ridden.

Smile Lots of places I have not ridden.

This trip I made out to Seattle last week made me see how much
    of the USA, I have not ridden a bike through.

Seattle has canyons, small but canyons I think.
    Montana goes on forever. Idaho I want to see more of.

I sold my trike and 55 Chevy trailer. I still have my Mini Mate.
    I pulled it to Steelville Mo. with my 500L Fiat car, and still had fun.

I started on my cabin, and it will cost me some $$$. I am 70,
    in Dec. I have had a good run on my trike the past 9 years.
    111K is not bad. I have a line on another, trike, might get it, just see
    how I feel about it in May.
    If I decide not to buy a Trike, again, I hope to still come to the
    Campouts and hang out.

A long time friend of mine from another motorcycle forum said:
    The desire to go down the interstate is waning. He is 75.

So in the 4th quarter of my life, I need to plan how to continue
    this part of my summers. I still want to ride, but its an investment
    to buy another trike, as I spend money finishing this cabin.
    By Thanksgiving it will be roughed in. Under Roof and ready
    for me to finish. So empty box kind of....

My fishing boat is about a mile from Truman Lake in mid MO.
    My cabin is 5 miles from the boat. 3 big State Park, fishing, camping,
    boat ramps are with in 7 miles. So a lot of fishing planned. I used
    to fish a lot in 80's, 90's. Just got out of the habit. Then I got back into
    Motor Cycle riding. and here I am today. Retired and thinking of what
    direction, my life is going. I hope my health keeps me able to make these
    choices. My Moto: You might be one office visit from bad news.

So do you have a plan on how long your riding or just see what life has
    in store for you... I enjoy hanging out with this group. Hope to continue.

Buttset from Mo.

Re: Lots of places I have not ridden.

Mike, I for one hope you can keep showing up for many more years on a bike or in your car. We enjoy your visits.

Never know what life throws at ya, been in hospital for couple weeks in two different weeks and still not got back in running order. Not use to having to sit around and not do anything, but at least I do get to ride across town to garden shed and sit there with birds and squirrels. Squirrels are safe this year as don't have enough energy to skin the little buggers, all other hunting and fishing and camping are a no go. Hope to get fixed back up by spring anyway. Retirement is not for the weak or weak minded.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

I will be 74 next month...still love to ride the bike, camp and even do a little fishing...But..am I being a little selfish by wanting to continue riding the bike at my age with the possibility increasing with each ride that something may be waiting around the corner to disable me, or worse, leaving my bride to fend for herself? She is very dependent upon me and my being absent from the picture would be dreadful....I still feel as comfortable on the GW as ever, but age is there lurking in the shadows more each day....My wife is concerned about my riding, but really keeps it to herself....Am I being selfish?? Just thinking out loud here...

I am retired...I am 68 years old...last Friday the 13th I sold my Harley...I thought I would keep it forever...I still own 2 GoldWings...but it’s getting more and more difficult for me to manhandle the bikes...the riding is no problem...but the physical part is getting harder...so I sold the Harley and after the first of the year I will probably trike my 08 GoldWing...I don’t want to stop riding...so guess I’ll be on 3 wheels next year...
    2008 Honda GoldWing 1800
    2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 1988 Honda GoldWing 1500
    12 Aspen Classic camper and 12 Mini Mate 05 Neosho cargo trailer
    Phillippians 4:13

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Mike I'll be 57 in January, but I haven't always been kind to this old body of mine. Lately riding down the road was still as sweet as it always has been. Starting and stopping was painful, and trying to get to the kickstand down was almost impossible. I finally decided to do something about it, got the hip replaced two weeks ago today, and have dropped 30 pounds so far. I'm hoping that I can keep dropping the pounds as hopefully I will be able to walk more. If it doesn't work out, I will probably be looking at a trike or a sidecar for the Road King. I don't plan on ever giving up riding for at least another 20 years if I have live that long.

All that babbling being said, only you will know when it's time to hang it up. I think you would really miss it, go on and invest in that trike. Like you there are a lot of roads out west I want to ride, it just wouldn't be the same in a car. My riding partner Bud dropped the bomb on my wife that a trip back to Alaska was in the works in a couple of years. She just shook her head and sighed! Whatever you decide I hope you keep coming to campouts so we can hang out. I always have a great time when you are around!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Mailman all the things you say are what I have thought about. I would not want to complicate my wife's life more than I do now.
    I want to include her more in some of my travels. I still want to ride Ironheadziggy I still like it. See how the spring feels when I get
    there. I think we all worry in the back of our heads, how long we can ride, and safely handle a bike. I think my Trike was great,
    and I loved riding it. I would not go back to two wheels. I know it changes the ride, Trikes are not like two wheels. Some kind of gave
    me trouble for going to a trike. I don't mind, I liked the Trike the first time I rode it. Liked pulling a trailer, taking all the things I wanted.

My wife and I share our money, no mine or yours. So buying expensive things has to be ok with both of us. I just feel guilty sometimes,
    when I find some toy I think I need. LOL I told people trikes are great, are they worth, over $30K, no! That's just what they cost. LOL
    I rode mine for 9 years and 111K miles and got about 50% of my money back. So I am not complaining. I sold it when I did, because
    I was building a cabin, and worried what value it might have at 150K miles.

Thanks for the input, I plan on coming to the Campouts one way or another......

Buttset from Mo.

Age shouldn't be a factor on how long you ride if you feel good. I ride and camp with 3 guys in their mid 70's with one over 76 years and he does fine. If you still feel good and want to ride, ride. There are so many what if's in life that if we worried about them we would never go out of the house and then we might die from inactivity. Keep riding if you enjoy it.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by martyblok View Post
    Age shouldn't be a factor on how long you ride if you feel good. I ride and camp with 3 guys in their mid 70's with one over 76 years and he does fine. If you still feel good and want to ride, ride. There are so many what if's in life that if we worried about them we would never go out of the house and then we might die from inactivity. Keep riding if you enjoy it.
    Words to live by Marty, too many people make a number an ending point for things!

Butset,

I missed every campout last year due to either my health or family issues but 2018 will be different. If I am not up to riding health wise, I will tow with my truck but I am going to make Chill Out and WV I hope!

Point is, I am going to camp with this much with or without my trike. I hope you do the same.
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long