Thread: Harbor Frieght Tire Recall 10/9/17

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Harbor Frieght Tire Recall 10/9/17

If you have bought tires from Harbor Freight in the past 3 years.......8" and 12" trailer tires

Recall is expected to begin 11/6/17

October 9, 2017NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17T017000

Tires may have Insufficient Strength/FMVSS 119

If the tires cannot meet the strength requirements, the tires may fail, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number:*17T017000

Manufacturer*Harbor Freight Tools

Components*TIRES

Potential Number of Units Affected*173,557

Summary

Harbor Freight Tools (Harbor Freight) is recalling certain Innova Ultra Runner utility trailer tires, sizes 5.3x12 and 4.80/4.00x12, and Far East utility trailer tires, size 4.80/4.00x8, purchased mounted on replacement trailer rims. These tires may not be strong enough to support the expected loads. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 119, "New Pneumatic Tires-Other than Passenger Cars."

Remedy

Harbor Freight will notify owners, and stores will provide replacement tires mounted on rims, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 6, 2017. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at 1-800-444-3353.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

2 Affected Products*

2 Associated Documents*

Request Research*(Services fees apply)
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Re: Harbor Frieght Tire Recall 10/9/17

The trailers are rated around 1100 pounds GVW, and I doubt if anyone pulling behind a bike would come close to that. Also, the tires that I'm aware of when I built three of these trailers were rated at 55 psi maximum, but all the folks I knew on my forum, including myself would pump them up to 20-25 psi, some even less for a better ride, especially since we were all carrying much lighter loads. Way under the GVW max.

As an aside when I wore out the tires on my Aspen Classic camper I noticed on the sidewall it stated that the tires were manufactured in China using USA molds.
    I went to Discount Tire and purchased a couple of Carlisle Sport tires and I saw that the tread was identical to the made in China tires.

Anyway Stu thank you for sharing this information with the kit trailer folks.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing