Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat tires

Flat tires

A friend of mine went down yesterday after his rear tire went flat. He went down pretty hard and broke 5 ribs,broken shoulder blade, torn retina and a damaged spleen. He's still in ICU this morning. My question is have any of you had a bad experience with a tire going flat and also, does anyone make a run- flat motorcycle tire? If they don't, they should.

Re: Flat tires

I am presently using a Yoko RF...love it...best wishes to your friend.

Yoko Run Flat
    "Sappers Lead the Way"
    US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Wow sorry to hear! In my riding experiences I always feared flat tires and especially when we went to the Northwoods as Woody and Lil G were with me solo riding there and back..2 big reasons why I started to want a sidecar...I figured if anything went wrong at least it might have been a lil more stable to pull off on 3 wheels, moreso than 2..but now I am not riding anymore..some days I really miss it, others I just plug away thinking we will have a car in 2 years to go camping out of..as long as we still camp, we r ok with this!

Sorry to hear about your friend. I use a Bridgestone Drive Guard on the rear. I, too, wish that someone made run flats for motorcycles. Shouldn't cost too much more as it is.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I picked up a nail while passing a loaded school bus. The tube exploded as I was in the other lane next to the bus. The tire flopped from one side of the rim to the other side, the bus driver saw it happen and got out of my way. I needed both lanes to stay upright, ended up on the right shoulder . If I didn't have both lanes and the sholders clear, I would have been in the hospital too. Best wishes for recovery.
    A clean dirt bike is a dirty shame...

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Sorry about your friend.

I use a run flat car tire and a tire pressure monitoring system for prevention. The car tire will handle more weight as well.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Quote Originally Posted by stratoliner66 View Post
    does anyone make a run- flat motorcycle tire? If they don't, they should.
    There are no run-flat motorcycle tires that I have ever heard of, what everyone is quoting is run-flat car tires (darkside) just clarifying.
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

I heard rumors that Harleys used to use a ”No Flat” tire on their police models. As I remember; it was a tubeless tire when mounted to the tubeless wheel on the, but in the empty air space was an inflated tube.

I’m old, and it was a while ago.

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

How about using the hole / leak plugger liquids in the tube or tire is that a good idea?