Thread: Caterpillers

Caterpillers

I came across this information on another forum. It looks like the type of caterpiller that Meach was playing with at Missouri Campfire.
    Please take a look at this pic, and show to your children. If you see one of these caterpillars, do not pick it up or touch it. They are Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillars, and they are poisonous. My son played with one 3+ years ago and still remembers it very clearly. We ended up in the ER after midnight the same night because of the reaction he was having. It took over a month for everything to clear up completely and go away. I just saw one the other day, and thought I would post a reminder to other parents.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	21720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	21721

Re: Caterpillers

Quote Originally Posted by stratoliner66 View Post
    I came across this information on another forum. It looks like the type of caterpiller that Meach was playing with at Missouri Campfire.
    Please take a look at this pic, and show to your children. If you see one of these caterpillars, do not pick it up or touch it. They are Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillars, and they are poisonous. My son played with one 3+ years ago and still remembers it very clearly. We ended up in the ER after midnight the same night because of the reaction he was having. It took over a month for everything to clear up completely and go away. I just saw one the other day, and thought I would post a reminder to other parents.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	21720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	21721
    Very good info...have seen many of these little furry creatures, never knew they were poisonous...

I make a point of it not to touch any of those fuzzy SOB's...don't want to take any chances of finding one that is venomous (not poisonous).

A venomous caterpillar from Canada has recently been spotted in parts of central Pennsylvania. If you see the white hickory tussock moth caterpillar, don't touch it. The insect's fuzzy black spines contain venom to ward off predators, but can also also irritate human skin. The good news is the nasty rash it leaves behind is treatable with lotion and ice. What are some of the caterpillar's distinguishing features? It can be either white or brightly colored. More importantly, it has hairs with barbs that can stick into your skin and its back contains rash-giving venom.

"The hairs embed into the skin and then they pull away from the caterpillar, so they're left behind and they cause a dermal reaction," he said. The level of irritation it causes may vary. "It could be just no response at all to a minor response to something that's kind of creating a pustule."

If you do end up with a white hickory rash, it can be easily treated with conventional anti-rash medications. But if it persists you should check with a medical professional.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/an...c-caterpillars
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

GREAT! information here. I don't usually mess with any bugs on purpose while camping, don't like bugs. But I had no idea that caterpillars had the possibility of being harmful especially ones here in the states.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211