Thread: For those building a cargo trailer, Jeg's has a rooftop carrier on sale...

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

For those building a cargo trailer, Jeg's has a rooftop carrier on sale...

Not sure about the quality of this, just saw it in the catalog I got today.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...90098/10002/-1
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Re: For those building a cargo trailer, Jeg's has a rooftop carrier on sale...

Several years ago I bought a small trailer to pull behind my bike. The trailer came with a car top carrier. I soon realized that this would not work for me. Sure it was supposed to have great storage capacity, but the problem was that my camping gear did not meet the shape of the container and was difficult to pack and remove. So, I stepped back and saw the answer...Footlockers. Yes, black footlockers from Wal Mart and only $20.00 each. I bought 3. I put a piece of sealed wood on my trailer frame, added railing at the sides and eye bolts and the three lockers fit 2 length way and 1 across. I label what's inside and lock them. They are held on with ratchet straps and Travel nicely. I have recommended this to others as an alternative to the Car top carrier. They are also easy to store, they stack up. Since then I have purchased a camping trailer, but I still Have the little trailer and the foot lockers.

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCreadee View Post
    Several years ago I bought a small trailer to pull behind my bike. The trailer came with a car top carrier. I soon realized that this would not work for me. Sure it was supposed to have great storage capacity, but the problem was that my camping gear did not meet the shape of the container and was difficult to pack and remove. So, I stepped back and saw the answer...Footlockers. Yes, black footlockers from Wal Mart and only $20.00 each. I bought 3. I put a piece of sealed wood on my trailer frame, added railing at the sides and eye bolts and the three lockers fit 2 length way and 1 across. I label what's inside and lock them. They are held on with ratchet straps and Travel nicely. I have recommended this to others as an alternative to the Car top carrier. They are also easy to store, they stack up. Since then I have purchased a camping trailer, but I still Have the little trailer and the foot lockers.
    Before I got sidetracked I started building a flatbed with an expanded metal floor with an old rubber truck bed mat. I was just going to use it with dry bags, I need to dig that out for a winter project!

Quote Originally Posted by MacCreadee View Post
    I've actually seen several people pulling trailers like your describing, flat beds with cargo boxes. Nice because you can also use them for carrying other bulky things when you pull the boxes out, unlike regular trailers with bodies that you're always trying to jam the cargo into when it doesn't want to fit.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA