Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaska trip failure

Re: Alaska trip failure

I am curious about your starter failing, I have heard warnings about use of reverse shortening the life of Gold Wing starters. Do you think that may have been the case with yours? Glad you were able to make it home, and hope you can make the trip next year.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp

Well I hoping to make the run to Alaska end of next may or early june,I have a gl1800 and am changing out rear end and battery & thinking alternator as. Pm ! Bike has 92 k on rear end I picked up cheap will do my self cost is going to be alternator ,I never even considered the starter! Hmmmm ,sorry uour plans feel through maybe we meet on the road ! Sorry again but probably a prett y good decision!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Dang, that stinks! As all have said good it happened before you got up in the middle of nowhere! On both of my Alaska trips I had small issues, it's a sinking feeling setting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! You can look forward to next year, winter will be here before we know it.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Goldwing starters fail so rarely, it was a bit of a surprise, but things happen. Interestingly enough, it is one repair I could not find a video of on Youtube, probably because most people, including Honda mechanics, have probably never replaced a starter on a Goldwing.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

So sorry to hear we had only one mishap Harley repaired us and continued on. Keep trying and hope all goes well

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Good to hear you got home without the huge bill. I went to Alaska and my starter died 2nd day out. Sunday night at 9 pm 30 miles south of Grand Forks ND. I get out my anonymous book, call for help, get picked up and delivered to a campground. Monday 9 am a call to EMF and Tuesday afternoon at 3 pm in my campsite FedEx hands me a starter. My luck is I have an airhead that is easy to fix if you can get parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170605_165155077.jpg  
    A clean dirt bike is a dirty shame...

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I highly commend you on your ability to abort the trip. Having the ability to adjust, adapt or change objectives in the face of adversity takes maturity and humility. You could of paid the $1400 and waited the two days for the work to be done and traveled on. No doubt about that, but I believe you made the right decision.

This is one reason I do mostly solo trips. There is comfort in having a riding buddy to rely on, but it also adds difficulty in adjusting to conditions.

Thank you for sharing your bucket list adversity.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

don't give up on the trip its a great ride
    and I think all of us as riders now we have to adapt to the things life throws out there great job of rolling with the punches
    All bikes at times will give us some trouble some we can fix on the fly others just have to call it a day (or a trip) thanks for sharing

(Threadstarter)

Already looking at maps for next summer. Alaska is on the list but that is dependent largely on finances. As I do more of my own work on the bike it helps me realize that I can handle most anything that will pop up on the road. The big problem with the Goldwing starter is having to disassemble about half the bike to spend about 5 minutes actually swapping out the starter. The whole project took me about 15 hours start to finish. The summer was still great though, tomorrow I will do about 325 miles to break 10,000 for the year, something i haven't done in a long time.