Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Towing Motorcycle - For Me?

(Threadstarter)

Re: Best Towing Motorcycle - For Me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Mine was made right here in YORK, PA. I've been to the plant and watched them made. You'll have to travel to JAPAN to see yours made... I like supporting this country, not one that killed a hundred thousand Americans or didn't you ever hear of WWII? Some people don't care though...
    Hey Bluetick, where do you get off coming on to my thread to insult me? As I stated in my original thread starting post, I ride a Honda, which is a Japanese motorcycle and I don't need your narrow-minded views about where we should spend our money here on my thread.

I do appreciate your comments about your '14 Ultra's abilities and will keep that in mind, however is it really AMERICAN? Did you read the article that vbail posted? My wife's Can-Am Spyder is also American made. So what? It probably has just as many non-American made parts in it as your AMERICAN made motorcycle. So what. You can't hardly buy anything here anymore that doesn't have something to do with some other place and if we don't realize that and make it happen for us we will become one of those third-world countries.

So, let's stick to the subject at hand; which motorcycle would be better for my use as stated in my original post.

Thanks to all that have contributed in a positive way so far.
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

My (american) Ford Focus Convertible is made in Italy by Pininfarina.
    My (japanese) Goldwing is made in USA by Honda of America
    and I think it's the best towing bike for my (american icon) Airstream (which I made in Germany).

36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    You mean you saw them assemble the bike. Lots of Japanese/Korean/German cars made or assembled here in the good old USA.

Did I ever hear of WWII? Of course I did. I was alive when it was going on. As far as who makes what. I don't really care these days as long as it fits my needs. So you think I'm a traitor to my country just because I buy stuff from across the pond? Do you ever shop at Walmart or Target.

Now what really pi$$e$ me off, other than your comment above is the NFL idiots taking the knee. Yesterday's games excluded coverage on TV of the playing of the National Anthem, I suppose so they could cover their butts and not offend us TV fans. How disgraceful is that?

BTW the best secretary I ever had was of Japanese descent. Thought never crossed my mind about the war.
    While I believe in the players right to free speech, I also choose to exercise my rights and not watch Pro Football this year. It also irritates me how the television stations are not showing the playing of the national anthem. The only way I see to end this is for people to start boycotting the advertisers and force the NFL to address the issue. Sorry to hijack your thread by the way

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Hondavalk View Post
    While I believe in the players right to free speech, I also choose to exercise my rights and not watch Pro Football this year. It also irritates me how the television stations are not showing the playing of the national anthem. The only way I see to end this is for people to start boycotting the advertisers and force the NFL to address the issue. Sorry to hijack your thread by the way
    Thanks, I will take that into account when looking for a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondavalk View Post
    Don't think you really did hijack, since part of the thread was about patriotism.

Owning a Harley = True Patriot maybe-sort of
    Standing for the Anthem and covering heart = True Patriot

Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Being a Harley and Suzuki guy my recommendation would be a Goldwing. I love my Road King, and it pulls my cargo trailer just fine. I think if I were to get a camper I would really enjoy a Wing to pull it with. I like the low first gear and the fact that the weight on a Wing is carried low in the frame. The few I've ridden have been really nice, even back to the 1200 I rode. There is one in my future down the road!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

2018 Honda Gold Wing & Gold Wing Tour*

Honda officially released information on the all-new 2018 Gold Wing models. The current model has been around since 2001, a long time, a testament to its reliability and solid holder of the touring king title. For 2018 Honda incorporates the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with two offered models. The Gold Wing comes without a top case, whereas the Gold Wing Tour comes with the top case. Visually, the sharper lines are not only more aero-dynamic but also more timely. Honda released a ton of information just now. Read on from the press materials.

KEY UPDATESLighter overall package results in improved handling and maneuverabilityMore compact, lighter engine with four-valve head and Unicam valve trainAvailable seven-speed DCT with Walking Mode forward/reverseSix-speed manual transmissionRobotically welded aluminum twin-tube frame with revised plate thicknessesRadially mounted six-piston dual front braking calipersDouble-wishbone front-suspension systemElectrically controlled suspensionThrottle-by-wire with multiple riding modesHonda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)Hill Start AssistSmart KeyApple CarPlay compatibilityLED lightingUpdated design with 11.8 percent improved aerodynamic efficiencyElectric windscreen adjustmentHonda 3-year factory warrant with new 5-year extended warranty option

GOLD WING TOUR

The three 2018 Gold Wing Tour models—Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT, and Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag—are the modern interpretation of the classic Gold Wing, the ultimate long-distance touring machine, but with highly improved performance capabilities. Each of these models features saddlebags and a top case, as well as a tall electrically adjustable windscreen, front and rear speakers, and electrically adjustable suspension.

Colors:Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT: Candy Ardent Red, Pearl White, Pearl Hawkseye BlueGold Wing Tour DCT Airbag: Candy Ardent Red/Black

Price:Gold Wing Tour: $26,700 – $27,200Gold Wing Tour DCT: $27,700 – $28,200Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag: $31,500

Availability:*February 2018

GOLD WING (formerly F6B)

Boasting a sporty character, the two Gold Wing models—Gold Wing and Gold Wing DCT—come with saddlebags but no top case or the accompanying rear audio speakers. The electric windscreen is shorter on these models, and preload adjustment is manual. HSTC, electric damping-adjust, center stand, and heated grips are not included.

Colors:*Candy Ardent Red, Matte Majestic Silver, Pearl Stallion Brown

Price:Gold Wing: $23,500 – $23,800Gold Wing DCT: $24,700 – $25,000

Availability:*February 2018

The three 2018 Gold Wing Tour models—Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT, and Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag—are the modern interpretation of the classic Gold Wing, the ultimate long-distance touring machine, but with highly improved performance capabilities. All three all-new Gold Wing Tour models feature full luggage provisions, including saddlebags and top case.

GOLD WING TOUR

ColorsCandy Ardent RedPearl WhitePearl Hawkseye Blue

Significant FeaturesSaddlebagsTop case (removable with accessory kit)Double-wishbone front suspensionTall electric windscreen6-speed manual transmissionAudio speakers (2 front/2 rear)Four riding modes (Tour, Sport, Econ, Rain)Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)Heated seatHeated gripsElectric damping adjustElectric preload adjustCenter standBuilt-in navigationApple CarPlay™ compatible

GOLD WING TOUR DCT

ColorsCandy Ardent RedPearl WhitePearl Hawkseye Blue

Significant Features

Compared to Gold Wing Tour, adds:Seven-speed automatic DCTWalking Mode

GOLD WING TOUR DCT AIRBAG

ColorsCandy Ardent Red / Black

Significant Features

Compared to Gold Wing Tour DCT, adds:Airbag

GOLD WING MODELS (formerly F6B)

Boasting a sporty character, the two Gold Wing models—Gold Wing and Gold Wing DCT—come with saddlebags but no top case or the accompanying rear audio speakers. The electric windscreen is shorter on these models, and preload adjustment is manual. HSTC, electric damping-adjust, center stand, and heated grips are not included.

GOLD WING

ColorsCandy Ardent RedPearl Stallion Brown

Significant FeaturesDouble-wishbone front suspensionShort electric windscreenSix-speed manual transmissionAudio speakers (2 front)Four riding modesHeated gripsBuilt-in navigationApple CarPlay compatible

GOLD WING DCT

ColorsCandy Ardent RedPearl Stallion Brown

By the Numbers

20%:*Reduction in clutch-operation load on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing

6:*Number of cylinders in the prototype engine for the original GL. (The production version would have four cylinders, though the engine grew to six cylinders in 1988.)

5.3 lbs.:*Reduction in weight achieved through use of an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG) on the 2018 Gold Wing, combining the generator and starter-motor functions

43rd:*Anniversary that the Gold Wing is celebrating in the 2018 model year

SCM440H:*Name of the high-strength steel-alloy material used for the 2018 Gold Wing’s crankshaft, which enabled Honda engineers to reduce the component’s dimensions

CRF450R:*Honda model (an award-winning, high-performance motocrosser) from which the 2018 Gold Wing’s Unicam® valve-train design was borrowed

1.1:*Number of gallons by which the 2018 Gold Wing’s fuel-tank capacity was reduced without sacrificing range, thereby improving performance and handling

999cc:*Engine displacement of the original 1975 GL1000 Gold Wing

20%:*Improvement in fuel economy for the 2018 Gold Wing during testing

13.7 lbs.:*Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 manual-transmission Gold Wing’s engine

7:*Number of speeds in the 2018 Gold Wing’s advanced automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

.75 mph:*Speed at which the 2018 Gold Wing travels when in Reverse Walking Mode

$2,899:*MSRP for the original, 1975 Gold Wing GL1000

4:*Number of riding modes on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing: Tour, Sport, Econ, and Rain

7 inches:*Size of the 2018 Gold Wing’s full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal display

1,000:*Number of miles*Cycle*magazine rode their 1988 GL1500 test unit in a single day for a story

4:*Number of electric preload suspension-adjustment settings for the 2018 Gold Wing Tour: Rider, Rider + Luggage, Rider + Passenger, Rider + Passenger + Luggage

+80 lbs.:*Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 version, compared to its predecessor

Project 371:*Prototype code name of the Shoichiro Irimajiri-led development project for the original Gold Wing

30%:*Reduction in shock transmitted from the road surface to the handlebars on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing, thanks to the double-wishbone front-suspension system

4.4 lbs.:*Amount by which weight was reduced in the Gold Wing frame and swingarm for 2018

110 liters:*Total capacity of the saddlebags and rear trunk on 2018 Gold Wing Tour models*(note: that is down from 147 liters in the 2017 Goldwing)
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    110 liters:*Total capacity of the saddlebags and rear trunk on 2018 Gold Wing Tour models*(note: that is down from 147 liters in the 2017 Goldwing)
    That's an interesting piece of information. The 2018 Gold Wing touring motorcycle has 25% less luggage capacity than the model it's replacing. The trunk alone has 17% less capacity according to the specifications.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    2018 Honda Gold Wing & Gold Wing Tour*

Honda officially released information on the all-new 2018 Gold Wing models...
    As he drools on the keyboard and thinks about buying a lottery ticket...

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I'm thinking in the next few years there will be some very nice late model Wings traded in, or up for sale if the new one turns out to be as popular as they look to be!