Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Towing Motorcycle - For Me?

Re: Best Towing Motorcycle - For Me?

The Gl1800 pulled my Roll_a_home perfect.
    I would recommend staying away from the large V-Twins as they just dont have the highway speed power needed to make it work well on the road. (Donning Flame proof gear) but they are pretty.
    The one friends Hardy couldnt feel safe at highway speeds if I needed to pass or more power.
    I tried and just not enough HP or braking,
    The ST1300 had the power but not the Stableness as in it worked but was twitchy.
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by ImRubicon View Post
    The Gl1800 pulled my Roll_a_home perfect.
    I would recommend staying away from the large V-Twins as they just dont have the highway speed power needed to make it work well on the road. (Donning Flame proof gear) but they are pretty.
    The one friends Hardy couldnt feel safe at highway speeds if I needed to pass or more power.
    I tried and just not enough HP or braking,
    The ST1300 had the power but not the Stableness as in it worked but was twitchy.
    This was my experience with my 2010 ultra limited with the 103. It did fine pulling trailer on 2 lane mountain roads,where travel speed is slower and could run in lower gears. In fact it did a very good job on these kind of roads. When I would be on the supper slab trying to get A to B, it suffered for power bad and used a lot of gas. 25 to 28 mpg. I had to run in 5 th gear,(it was a 6 speed) to go interstate speeds pulling a trailer. When I would leave the bushtec trailer at home and go 2 up ,luggage loaded it did fine and would get 42 mpg.

Gas consumption with my Micro Airstream behind the Goldwing (Made in Ohio) on my 10,000 km trip this summer (Scandinavia) was only a little bit higher than without trailer.

47 mpg with my trailer (and speed limit 80 kph / 50 mph with cruise control, fifth gear). 51 mpg without trailer (and a little bit faster).

Tommy
    36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

My '14 Ultra pulls my RAH at 80 mph down the interstate all day long without a problem. If I keep it down around 70 I can get better then 40 mpg to... No problem stopping either in a panic stop. And the best part... It's AMERICAN!
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

A Honda F6B would be a good alternative to a Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    My '14 Ultra pulls my RAH at 80 mph down the interstate all day long without a problem. If I keep it down around 70 I can get better then 40 mpg to... No problem stopping either in a panic stop. And the best part... It's AMERICAN!
    Sorry to burst your bubble: https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/d...D67A6B7D0B565F
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    hahahah
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

I own a Mini Mate pop-up camper. It weighs in at 265 lbs. empty. Closer to 300 lbs. loaded. I've pulled it with an 1100cc Shadow, and it pulls fine. Braking requires a little more room than normal. But the gas mileage goes way down when towing the camper in the mountains. Below 30mpg, as a matter of fact. On a flat surface like a major freeway, I've seen 95 on the spedo, it will pull the trailer. At 70 mph it will get 40 mpg with the trailer in tow, but still only has a 4 gallon tank. As a matter of fact most any bike will pull a small trailer. The problem really isn't the pulling, it's the stopping! I also have a GW, and it's the ticket for what I need. Plenty of storage on the bike, and with the 15 cf of storage in the Mini Mate I can haul a lot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Mine was made right here in YORK, PA. I've been to the plant and watched them made. You'll have to travel to JAPAN to see yours made... I like supporting this country, not one that killed a hundred thousand Americans or didn't you ever hear of WWII? Some people don't care though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Mine was made right here in YORK, PA. I've been to the plant and watched them made. You'll have to travel to JAPAN to see yours made... I like supporting this country, not one that killed a hundred thousand Americans or didn't you ever hear of WWII? Some people don't care though...
    You mean you saw them assemble the bike. Lots of Japanese/Korean/German cars made or assembled here in the good old USA.

Did I ever hear of WWII? Of course I did. I was alive when it was going on. As far as who makes what. I don't really care these days as long as it fits my needs. So you think I'm a traitor to my country just because I buy stuff from across the pond? Do you ever shop at Walmart or Target.

Now what really pi$$e$ me off, other than your comment above is the NFL idiots taking the knee. Yesterday's games excluded coverage on TV of the playing of the National Anthem, I suppose so they could cover their butts and not offend us TV fans. How disgraceful is that?

BTW the best secretary I ever had was of Japanese descent. Thought never crossed my mind about the war.