Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a CARNET also required for a trailer - that is towed behind a motorcycle ?

Is a CARNET also required for a trailer - that is towed behind a motorcycle ?

Hi Guys , not sure where to ask this question ..,

I am planning a RTW trip on a motorcycle with a difference .....,

I am hoping / planning to tow a trailer behind a motorcycle on a RTW trip (ie; I plan to carry 4 surfboards in my trailer)

Question ; is a carnet required for the trailer , as it is for the bike .., or is the trailer included in the bikes carnet ?

Regarding the trailer .., how do I get permission at the many boarders for the trailer ?

Shipping wont be a problem as it will be semi dismantled and narrow and will sit beside the bike in the shipping crate

Note ; the trailer (and the bike) will be Australian Registered, but the trailer will have it's legal Australian road registration (and number plate) different from the motorcycles.

Kind Regards

Dave

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Re: Is a CARNET also required for a trailer - that is towed behind a motorcycle ?

What is a carnet???
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Re: Is a CARNET also required for a trailer - that is towed behind a motorcycle ?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

I remember hearing about this document on Long Way Round.....hmm might go fire that up....

anyhow, I would take the precaution, because as I understand, it documents ALL of the possessions that you take IN and OUT of the country...so the trailer would be part of that. Otherwise they could assume you stole it.

You might ask your insurance company, because proof of insurance and registration are required in most states.

I live 60 miles from the Canadian border so every year I ask my insurance company (Markel) for a Canadian Authorization card (insurance requirements in Canada are higher) which they send me F-R-E-E.

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC, TT. KOA
    Last edited by Fill; 09-08-2017 at 01:49 PM. Reason: incorrect

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    What is a carnet???
    Carnet de passage .., it's like a passport for your bike .., needed for most countries around the world so that you do not (hopefully) require to pay huge import duty and charges when you temporarily import your bike or car into another Country.

Its like an insurance for the other countries you visit to make sure they get their full import money from your bike , ie; if you sold it, or failed to exit with your vehicle on time regarding your visas allowable stay time ..., to which you are legally accountable for to repay that fee once you return to your home country directly to your local authorities.

It was bought about because too many corrupt countries scammed the security deposits paid to customs officials, where upon exit these corrupt official refused to return the security deposit on the bike/ car when the owner exited their country ..., therefore the Carnet gets you into the country without having to pay a huge security deposit. They last one year , but can be renewed as long as you apply for renewal one month before it expires.
    ..., (note; not required in the americas , but is at most other countries around the world).

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I remember hearing about this document on Long Way Round.....hmm might go fire that up....

anyhow, I would take the precaution, because as I understand, it documents ALL of the possessions that you take IN and OUT of the country...so the trailer would be part of that. Otherwise they could assume you stole it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fill View Post
    You might ask your insurance company, because proof of insurance and registration are required in most states.

I live 60 miles from the Canadian border so every year I ask my insurance company (Markel) for a Canadian Authorization card (insurance requirements in Canada are higher) which they send me F-R-E-E.
    I wont have that luxury , AFAIK, my bike / and trailers insurance will be void in other countries once I leave Australia with the bike , unless I choose to take out separate coverage in each of those individual countries I visited .
    My home Country is Australia BTW.

Just need to now if there are restrictions on the trailer anywhere ?

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Ok.
    So next question is, where are you going that you want to know if it's needed? You didn't say in your original post. That will probably make a difference??

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    Ok.
    So next question is, where are you going that you want to know if it's needed? You didn't say in your original post. That will probably make a difference??
    Heres the plan ...,

Yes in Australia ( where both the bike and trailer will both be registered in)

...., the trailer will have its own unique compliance plate , licence plate , and registration that is totally separate from the motorcycle .

The trailer I intend to buy will be imported from the USA from a company called "Bushtec" and the trailer model will be their 'SPARTAN" Model (LINK : https://store.bushtec.com/Spartan-Ut...r-p/9s1000.htm )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 5.46.30 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	21557

I intend to use this trailer due to its light 80KG weight and because of its superior AIR suspension and larger 16" wheels. (I do have some import hoops to jump through in Australia to get it registered )

I will also me modifying it ...., by lengthening the tow bar by 33 inches,
    - as Bushtec say I will need to do this to correctly balance my load of 4 to 5 surfboards , (which will range in length from 6'8" through to 8'6"} .

Bushtech also commented that 60% of my surfboard load must sit forward of the axel , with 40% hanging to the rear of the axel so that their recommended 20 KG is sitting on the towing hitch point.

I will be making a lockable Aluminium sheeting Coffin BOX to carry the surfboards and the width between the SPARTAN Trailers wheel base is just enough to accommodate the width of my surfboards .
    The Aluminium Lockable Surfboard coffin case (similar to a tradesman's toolbox that you see in the back of a pickup truck) ..., will sit on top of the SPARTAN Trailers Carry BASKET , and incorporate an added rectangular section on the bottom of the Carry case , that will fit snuggly inside the Spartans Carry basket to lock it in place . In this lower compartment within the Base of the Carry Box, is where I will keep my heaviest items to keep the trailers weight as low as possible.

I may even replace the 16" cast wheel with 21" Spoked off road rims to increase ground clearance and to add strength the combat potholes and to aid better in off road conditions .., I still need to run that possibility by Bushtech though before I commit to that idea.

The total towed weight (ie; the trailer + aluminium box and surfboards + extra luggage in the lower portion of the box contained within the Lower Basket section of the trailer) .....,
    - Shall be no more than approximately 160 Kg

I will be towing this weight behind a 2017 - KTM 1290 Super Adventure 'R' .., and will be buying the bike and trailer early next year once I return to Australia.

After spending about 5-6 months setting up the bike, and streamlining the kit with some trips throughout Australia ,

..., I plan to finally take off through the US, Central and South America for a year, before returning to Australia again and then continuing the trip from Darwin Australia and onwards up through Indonesia and the rest of SE Asia, towards India and Central Asia and beyond.

I realise the Carnet de passage is not required for the Americas leg of the trip , so I likely wont organise that until the SE Asia and onward leg of the journey begins as I will be leaving from Australia once again.

So at this stage really I just need to know about towing the trailer through ' the Americas' .., and if it will be allowable .., and / or ultimately is there anywhere in the world where a trailer behind a Motorcycle is not allowed ?

I know the trailer is a burden , but my lifelong love of surfing will see me camping / staying for long stints cheaply at surf spots , and I will have opportunities to unhitch the trailer when the waves drop down to take off for week long mountain exploration rides etc, then return to hitch up the trailer before moving on further down the coast to the next perfect wave.

The KTM 1290 SAR bike will tow the load just fine ..., and I could not find a more roadworthy trailer than those made by BUSHTEC (while still being lightweight) with good suspension and wheels able to handle off road and a good 360 degree helm joint swivel hitch , should make this trailer the best suited above the others available for fire trail type roads etc .

I was also thinking when charging through sandy beach side trails , the trailer (with its weight down low and trailing behind the bike , may even help stabilise the big heavy KTM on the sand by acting like a rudder on a boat (as opposed to a top heavy bike) .., but have yet to put that to the test .

I am open and welcoming to all suggestions, and advice to make this plan work for the best - I also look forward to hearing any input not positive, and especially negative .., I am a hope for the best , plan for the worst type guy.

I will have no itinerary, other than trying to move away from places before it gets to wintery so I will be trying my hardest to work the seasons in my favour, and will be trying to chase an endless summer as much as possible

Its like an insurance for the other countries you visit to make sure they get their full import money from your bike , ie; if you sold it, or failed to exit with your vehicle on time regarding your visas allowable stay time ..., to which you are legally accountable for to repay that fee once you return to your home country directly to your local authorities.

I think we are getting hung up on the word ‘Insurance”. It sounds like what you’re describing is a ‘universal registration’.

In the U.S. insurance has come to mean if someone hits you, or you do damage to someone else, or their vehicle, the insurance company will pay for the damage, up to the amount of the policy you bought.

Up here we can roam the map with insurance & registration we bought at home.

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

Quote Originally Posted by Bali Davo View Post
    - as Bushtec say I will need to do this to correctly balance my load of 4 to 5 surfboards , (which will range in length from 6'8" through to 8'6"} .

Bushtech also commented that 60% of my surfboard load must sit forward of the axel , with 40% hanging to the rear of the axel so that their recommended 20 KG is sitting on the towing hitch point.
    Another trailer option if you are interested in carrying surfboards is a Sportsrig Microtrailer. I have no experience with them,

https://www.sportsrig.com/overview.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeI6NP6yZ0

Or a Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgwyUEjbAk
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II