Thread: Solar upgrade to the Time-out

Solar upgrade to the Time-out

Hi All, I generally go for electric spots when I camp...however because you can't always expect that from a private place, I want to consider some ideas about how to stay comfortable while on a non-electric site. I have the cooler holder and fairing on the trailer, and I was thinking that's a good amount of real estate to put a solar panel. The only thing that is really necessary is comfort levels. I know I can get a little 12V fan, but I guess my electric blanket is out. I have a little 1.5 watt battery charger, but at the same time I over-engineered it, and bought the 100 watt controller. So, basically I just need to find a nice sized 30-50 watt panel and a place to mount the battery. Has anyone here done such an upgrade, and if so what might you suggest?
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Solar upgrade to the Time-out

Harbor Freight has a 199 watt unit that consists of 4 panels that bolt together.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/100-wa...kit-63585.html

Or this 50 watt offered at Walmart website:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/ALEKO-SPU...rYkY#read-more

Just got an email with a coupon for the Harbor Freight panels for $149.99, down from $189.99. I have no idea if they are any good.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Size-wise that Walmart kit doesn't seem too bad.. basically 2x1 foot, few inches thick. The monocrystaline panel will make power better in indifferent light conditions than other types.. but 30watt isn't a whole lot of power. MIght be a good fit in the cargo bay of a Timeout tho... the Harbor Freight 100 watt is a pretty big system with 3 panels.. but they would stack ok in the camper. Just have to kinda figure how much power you want this thing to make. The 100 watt system could pretty much charge a standard size deep cycle battery in a day with good sunlight exposure or thereabouts.. the 30watt not so much but it all depends on what your needs are.

(Threadstarter)

my thought process is to attach the panel to the fairing of the camper, in front of the cooler. I was also thinking of putting the battery on a bracket underneath that fairing.

I've been looking more and more on amazon for various panels. Closer to 40-50 watts. I really only care about having the fan run at night. A lot of the 12V fans I've been looking at dont have draw spec, so it's hard to calculate what energy would be consumed.

I use two 35AH batteries and a power inverter on my Time Out. During the day, I have wired up a 30W solar panel, and a 50 foot cord, in order to more easily get the panel into direct sunlight. The panel will push about 1.6 amps through the batteries in direct sunlight. When used mostly at night, we can stay somewhere for days without any power other than our own.
    2005 Triumph Rocket III
    Time Out Camper