Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Advice Please

Re: Sleeping Advice Please

I will tell you that wearing clothing in a sleeping bag will reduce your warmth. I spent 20 years in the military and many nights of it was spent sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags in extremely cold temps. Sleeping with anything on other than a head cap and underwear you will get cold easier.

An additional blanket or a better sleeping bag is the only options you have for extra warmth. There are some very nice cold weather bags out there that pack up really small with compression sacks that normally come with the bag.

I would suggest looking into it a store that specializes in back packing. For motocamping think backpacking when it comes to selecting gear. Its tried and tested so you can't go wrong. My sleeping setup for motocamping used to fit into one saddlebag on my 1500 Goldwing. That's a tent, 2 sleeping pads, 2 bags and cook wear. I don't use it as much anymore because I pull a Aspen now but it worked well for the years I did tent camp.
    "Sappers Lead the Way"
    US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    Here are the specs from the Thermarest site. Fabricator and I agree they are accurate. We use this blanket throughout the camping season.
    https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/p.../category/110/
    Compacts fairly small, almost as small as the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag comes with a compression sack.

I have a lightweight sleeping bag and I have both a sheet and a lightweight blanket for use inside the bag. For normal warmish temps I just use the sheet. It is a queen size sheet and I fold it in half and put it in the bag then I get in between the folds. Works quite well. I can also use a small blanket for cooler weather and did so in the Army. Works well too. Explore your options at home before you go out on the road.

For years now I have been using the Big Agnes sleep system, I swear by it. Mine consists of a Big Agnes Park Series sleeping bag ( I have two a +30 and a -20 ) depending on the time of year depends on which bag I take. For both I use a Big Agnes insulated Air Core mattress. Never have I been cold. An insulated air core mattress is an amazing thing, you actually feel it warm up after climbing in. As for what to wear in it I wear only sox's, long underwear ( Columbia Omni-Heat™ thermal reflective), and a beanie. Have alway's been told to wear very little to allow the bag and mattress to work. In the original post here I see that the use of a 50 degree bag is being used that is almost nothing and you should expect to be cold by using one. The rating number only means you can survive down to he rated number. Not comfortable but survivable. You get anywhere up in elevation even during the summer months you can expect it to be much cooler at night. Even if you get too warm you can always unzip or sleep on top. Here is some uno on sleeping warm I found on the REI website. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...6hhXDUUnzfYKhg Actually covers at least 1 thing ( having to get up and pee ) I had not even thought about.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

(Threadstarter)

Nice tips and it explains why the bags never perform down to their ratings. I am not sure I believe the pee tip it does help you to go back to sleep though.

I plan to buy a third bag for the extra warmth and carry long underwear for future rides. I need to carry those anyway for if the temp drops while riding. I also need to pickup a rain suit. I want one that can be worn over regular clothes and put on and taken off without removing boots or shoes.

I use a surplus MSS and a sleeping bag liner on top of a coleman self inflating pad on top of a surplus closed cell pad. It is bulky but versatile and it's super warm.
    89 KLR650
    85 FXRT
    06 KTM950 adv.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    I used to try and out guess the weather . No more I have a 0 degree bag and just lay on top in the warm and get in on cold nights . With a Exped 7 all is good
    I did too, but it only took one night not being able to sleep from my teeth chattering to convince me! I've got a Marmot 15 degree mummy bag that I have been comfy down to 22 degrees in. I have a Snugpak Jungle bag that is rated at 45 to 36 degrees, I'm guessing those are the comfort and survival ratings. This bag packs down very small, the company claims smaller than a coconut. I have been warm down into the lower 50's with it. I have a couple of inexpensive fleece bags that are good for cool summer nights. I am a believer in wearing a boggin as I've always been told the top of your noggin is where you lose heat. I have a polartec fleece one from The North Face that I got for Christmas one year. It is wonderful!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Mummy bags will not work for me since my wife and I like them zipped together.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonwon View Post
    Mummy bags will not work for me since my wife and I like them zipped together.
    Then you shall always find it drafty because as one of you rolls around/over, it pumps out the heated air and allows cold air to enter and then has to be heated up by you again!!
    We learned that early on during winter camping (-10*C - -45*C / 14*F - -49*F) and soon gave the zippered together bags idea up in favour of two separate bags and we slept warmer, with no annoying cold drafts.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Then you shall always find it drafty because as one of you rolls around/over, it pumps out the heated air and allows cold air to enter and then has to be heated up by you again!!
    We learned that early on during winter camping (-10*C - -45*C / 14*F - -49*F) and soon gave the zippered together bags idea up in favour of two separate bags and we slept warmer, with no annoying cold drafts.
    In our case the draft wasn't the problem, the cold came through the top of the sleeping bag. We finally survived with a thin blanket and putting our clothing over top of the bag.