Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Advice Please

Re: Sleeping Advice Please

I agree with dkurfiss. Based on your posts, you really need to explore the idea of a new sleeping bag. My wife and I use this one from Sierra Designs: https://sierradesigns.com/backcountr...-600-2-season/. (We actually have the orange-colored older model.) This bag and a Thermarest tech blanket kept us comfortable in Yellowstone when the temperature dropped into the high twenties. Plus the packed size is about the same as a single bag. Best of luck to you in your quest.

Cheers, Karl

Good sleeping bag with socks and a head toboggan will keep ya warm down below freezing, have camped that way down to 5F many a time on scouting polar bear campouts.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by khagenbuch View Post
    I agree with dkurfiss. Based on your posts, you really need to explore the idea of a new sleeping bag. My wife and I use this one from Sierra Designs: https://sierradesigns.com/backcountr...-600-2-season/. (We actually have the orange-colored older model.) This bag and a Thermarest tech blanket kept us comfortable in Yellowstone when the temperature dropped into the high twenties. Plus the packed size is about the same as a single bag. Best of luck to you in your quest.

Cheers, Karl
    The price on the bag hurts. The Thermarest tech blanket appears to be about the same thickness as the picnic blanket I have. I am leaning toward the third bag since the current bags collapse so small and only weight 1.3 kg each. I also have a huge distrust of sleeping bag temperature ratings since I have never owned a bag that lived up to the rating. Although I am still pondering the Mylar blanket and maybe the picnic blanket. I want the picnic blanket with us for stops and just stretching out on the ground so that will already be with us.

The problem with the Mylar-"survival" blankets is that they trap moisture & do not "breath" therefore, body vapor will build up in your sleeping bags & other blankets between you & the Mylar blanket...the trapped moisture will then decrease the insulation value of your bag & other blankets & you will wake up wet & colder!...If you must use a Mylar("survival") blanket...put it below your sleeping pad or between the pad & your bags...Try wrapping a plastic tarp around your sleeping bags & sleep that way one night & you will get the issue of which I write...

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by silverbub View Post
    The problem with the Mylar-"survival" blankets is that they trap moisture & do not "breath" therefore, body vapor will build up in your sleeping bags & other blankets between you & the Mylar blanket...the trapped moisture will then decrease the insulation value of your bag & other blankets & you will wake up wet & colder!...If you must use a Mylar("survival") blanket...put it below your sleeping pad or between the pad & your bags...Try wrapping a plastic tarp around your sleeping bags & sleep that way one night & you will get the issue of which I write...
    Makes sense. I don't need any extra warm between me and the ground so this helps to narrow down to the third bag, I think. The picnic blanket also has a vapor barrier so same would happen.

I purchased the Thermorest Argo blanket for our trip out west last year. Our lowest temps were in the low 40's and we don't carry sleeping bags. We stayed very comfortable sharing the blanket. It is light weight packs small and we use it year round. We camp in our motorcycle camper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to try and out guess the weather . No more I have a 0 degree bag and just lay on top in the warm and get in on cold nights . With a Exped 7 all is good

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    I purchased the Thermorest Argo blanket for our trip out west last year. Our lowest temps were in the low 40's and we don't carry sleeping bags. We stayed very comfortable sharing the blanket. It is light weight packs small and we use it year round. We camp in our motorcycle camper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    What is the pack size of the Thermorest Argo blanket?

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    I used to try and out guess the weather . No more I have a 0 degree bag and just lay on top in the warm and get in on cold nights . With a Exped 7 all is good
    I have self inflating Sea to Summit mats with foam insulation and they work perfectly. I am thinking maybe just sleeping on top of the mats with both bags over us could work as a previous person suggested. I suspect that could be drafty.

Here are the specs from the Thermarest site. Fabricator and I agree they are accurate. We use this blanket throughout the camping season.
    https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/p.../category/110/