Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Advice Please

Sleeping Bag Sleeping Advice Please

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just returned from a 23 day trip to America. While there we tested all of our newly purchased camping gear for motorcycle camping. It all worked out great and I will soon post a long story of the trip. Anyway while in Yellowstone National Park we were caught off guard when the temperatures dropped down to 32 degrees. We have the Sea to Summit foam insulated sleeping mats and they were very comfortable, just like our bed at home. Never felt any cold from the ground below. Another thing I noticed is that they never slid away from each other or into each other, they just stayed in place. I highly recommend these mats accept for the price. Our problem with the cold was on top of us. Our bags are rated down to 50 degrees which is the highest number. I am looking for a way to add warmth without a lot of additional weight / size. I can only think of three solutions and would like to hear your opinions on the best choice.

1. Survival blanket, packs up real small and very light weight, I have my doubts that this would provide enough additional warmth.

2. Regular blanket, I don't think it would add enough warmth, while at Yellowstone we bought two additional blankets (small size so it took two to cover the bags.) and they were not warm enough, tried them inside and outside the bags. So a thicker blanket would be needed, more weight and size.

3. Another sleeping bag like the current ones with the third bag on top so there would be two bags above only for cold nights of course. Pack size and weight of my current bags are fairly small and the bag has compression straps.

I am thinking my best option is number three. Do you think two 50 degree bags are good for freezing temperatures? I don't think two bags will double the comfort level however I am hoping the second bag will get another 20 degrees. I am sure I could rig it with snaps or velcor if needed to hold it in place too.

Okay everyone what do you think? Are there any other options?

Re: Sleeping Advice Please

For a couple of extra degrees of warmth, you could get a silk mummy liner.

http://www.cocoon.at/products/index....mummyliners_en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSj8a43em4

http://a.co/0ICrra2
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

a good pair of "long Johns" the kind that they sell at LL Bean and a pair of socks and maybe a beenie and along with the sleeping bag should do the trick..JMO

Your bags are rated at 50 but the temps were at 32. That is quite a bit of difference. You could supplement with a blanket but IMO for that much difference it would need to be good wool blanket. The blanket should go under the sleeping bag and on top of you so as not to compress your sleeping bags insulation.

What I would recommend is purchasing a different sleeping "bag". I don't use a bag since what ever is below you ends up compressed and is pretty much useless. What I use is a down quilt and my standard quilt is good down to 5-10F. Yes, I know it is too much in the summer but I also carry a silk liner and that is all I use with temps down to 65F. But, it is really nice to have the extra warmth when the temps catch you unprepared. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/old...ngular-quilts/ is the quilt I have. They also have a double quilt if you want to just get one to cover both you like at home

Pro for quilt:
    Less weight to carry
    Less bulk than standard sleeping bag
    lower temp rating for both of the above
    No wasted bulk or weight from bottom compressed insulation

Con:
    Cost is more
    Do not get it wet or down loses all it's insulation qualities

Just another avenue to explore
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

I used a fleece liner with my 40* sleeping bag and it kept me warm but I didn't see 32* temps. Now I have a silk double liner that I use with 35* bags zipped together for my wife and I. I haven't had a chance to check it out at 32*. But bag liners are a good way to go.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

I also carry a fleece liner for when the temp drops. I like to be warm so I carry a bag that is rated for 32 F. If it is warm I just use the fleece liner. For that really cold stuff I use the liner in the sleeping bag. It's better to have too much insulation. You can always unzip the bag if you get too warm. That's my 2 cents worth.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

I've found that wearing a beanie, scarf, and light cotton knit gloves, adds about 15 degrees of comfort on a cool night. I try to not have any exposed skin.

John
    '08. GL1800
    '06. ST1300

Two pairs of socks with these between the socks: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8941...warmer-18-pack.
    I'll use another pair of the warmers in gloves or pockets of a sweatshirt.
    But most importantly, get a warmer bag.

I was caught my first night solo camping in a 40-degree bag when temps unexpectedly dropped below freezing. Thankfully I was close enough to civilization that I put on double and triple layers of clothes and headed to the nearest diner to warm up. Learned a lot of lessons. For example, being very tired made the next day's activities less fun.

(Threadstarter)

I forgot to mention that I also tried wearing socks, blue jeans, T-shirt, and long sleeve shirt, plus the blanket and still my legs were cold. I think the blanket is comparable to a liner.

The Old Rag Mtn Quilt sounds nice, wish I knew about that before I invest money in the bags.

(Threadstarter)

I swear those bags are never rated properly.