Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial Cost of Camping..

Re: Initial Cost of Camping..

I've been using a cheap $35 mattress pad from Academy Sports that folds in half lengthwise. Sometimes I fold it and sometimes I don't depending on what all I need to pack around it. I like sleeping on it much more than my $80 Thermarest pad. Also, I use a $5 inflatable pillow from Academy. It is the perfect height when folded in half and covered with my Alaskan Leather Butt Pad.

Fortunately, I did a bunch of backpacking when a college student and the transition has been an easy one for me. I enjoy camping much more now than I did when backpacking for some reason.

All of my gear, if I needed to replace it would cost between $350-450 I'm guessing.

Mike

I was a climber/backpacker from the late sixties, seventies, and now I'm primarily a motorcycle traveler/camper..... it just kind of naturally evolved. Some of our gear is very new, and some very old.......but it has served us well in camps from Alaska to the Blue Ridge, from the Colorado Rockies to the Berner Oberland, Switzerland..... to wit: tent, 4 person Eureka Timberline or MSR Fling, depending upon length of trip and conditions expected; sleeping bags, two lightweight Wiggy synthetics zipped together, plus a lightweight down rectangular opened up like a quilt for temperatures lower than 40' (this gives us great range at little expense); sleeping pads, either a Coleman airbed or two thermarest self-inflators, depending upon length of trip and temps expected (lately I've been experimenting with Big Agnes Air Core blow-up mattresses, supplemented by the thermarests (!)) -- like many things, the search for the perfect sleeping pad continues, our thermarests are nearly 30 years old; stove: one-burner Coleman dual fuel (533?); odds and ends, headlamps, SW radio, etc.......

We shop for food on the go and sometimes fix only coffee in the mornings, and then find a Micky Dee's for breakfast after the first hundred miles..... we love camping and motorcycling, and camping has made it doable in terms of expense..... we started camping as a necessity, and now it's a preference!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alaska 2005 062.jpg  

i use coleman tents with the weathertec rain guard system, works great. as for air mattresses buy coleman brand because the walmart brand will not stay inflated. the new army sleeping bag system works great in any weather.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

kystarider, welcome from Seattle!

I always say, buy the best you can afford. I am on a limited budget, so I buy equipment that others have reviewed as good and I look for value with my money. This strategy has made me buy an upgraded piece of equipment later, but for the most part I continue to use the gear I initially purchased.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Welcome from Western Kentucky kystarider!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

i bought two of the walmart air mattress and both failed, that is why is spent a few dollars money on the coleman. the tent i caught on sale at walmart for less than 50 dollars. i did have to shell out a few bucks for the army sleeping system though. i am planning on taking a trip to either Mobile Ala, or Gettysburg in june. it looks like i can camp in the mobile area for less than 15 dollars a night while Gettysburg would cost around 35 a night. i also like to go ride in the North Carolina and Tenn. area once or twice a summer, but most of the time i make that just a day trip. it's a hard 8 or 9 hundred miles but it is fun.

life it seems goes around in a circle, when i was a kid we always camped in a tent, then as i got older i bought a pop-up, and then a fifth wheel, when gas got to 4.00 dollars a gallon and hauling the fifth wheel i only got 8 miles to the gallon i sold the truck and the fifth wheel. i still have a truck, but when i travel it always on the bike and using a tent to stay in. at my age though i do have to have the air mattress otherwise i wouldn't go no where the next day.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kystarider View Post
    life it seems goes around in a circle......then a fifth wheel.............. when i travel it always on the bike and using a tent to stay in. at my age....
    In my case it was a motor-home and 5.3 Lund boat with 115 Evinrude.

I too need a good cot, sleeping pad and good sleeping bag or I ain't going.

I'm camping all my life with my parents in a big tent, later with my girlfriend (wife now) by bike and igloo tent and my sleeping bag is now 28 years old.

Since we have kids, we mostly camp in an 1975 Eriba trailer, we bought for 600 Euro after the birth of my first daughter in 1997.

Our Corsica trip was in a 100 Euro Aldi tent, but my wife decided after that, she definitely prefers her bed in our trailer.

For my solo rides I use a 17 Euro mini tent, plus a 25 Euro self inflating mat.
    Big LED Maglite (30 Euro )and a wooden hammer plus six good undestroyable tent nails (12 Euro).
    Thats all I needed for my 4500 km ride thru Italy last may.

I do not cook, when I'm alone on tour.
    Eating in a cheap restaurant is my only luxury beneath a warm shower at least every second day.

Camping holidays with my family needs very small money.
    2011 we were in London and Cornwall for 14 days and drove 3500 km with the trailer.

We needed only 1800 Euros for four persons including diesel, campgrounds, three wet suits, two body boards, all food, three days metro tickets in London, ferry tickets for car and trailer to UK and back and all entry tickets.

(1 Euro = 1.30 USD)

And if I do not like the destination I've chosen from the pictures in the internet, I hook up my trailer, set our bicycles in the rails and be gone in 30 minutes to choose another campground.

Tom
    36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

Buy good stuff, cry once, then smile and enjoy it every time you use it for a long time.

I'm still using a few things that are 30+ years old. That old nylon coating that smelled like throw up after a few decades had to go or there would have been a few other things that I would still be using.

I am reconfiguring a bit now from my several prior incarnations (solo backpacker, family car, misc rambles) to optimize for this next stretch (two up mc w/ trailer). That's how I bumbled here. Lots of good info on this forum to help me tweak our program. I look forward to participating here in the e-world and seeing you folks around in the real world. Hasta....