Thread: Camping Trip to Uncharted Territory

Camping Trip to Uncharted Territory

Yep. Planning camping trip in August to parts I have never been to.
    Starting around the 8th of August with no end date yet.

From Regina Sk. Canada to Cody Wy and surrounding area, then onto
    The Black Hills, SD. Going to coincide trip to miss Sturgis Rally.

I am looking for suggestions on campgrounds for my stay, as I have been researching
    campgrounds and noticed that the reviews are all over the map. So that is why I a reaching out
    to other motorcycle campers for honest opinions. I plan on camping to several days in one location
    and riding out each day for daily jaunts then back to the campsite. I am looking at the Cody KOA
    as there is a pool for relaxing and shower facilities.

Upon moving on to the Black Hills, I am looking at Chris" Campground in Spearfish as it appears to
    be a well thought of campground. Looks like a good place to strike out each day in different
    directions.

I look forward to all your suggestions and input.

Thanks

John

2010 Honda CBF600SA
    Pearl Nightstar Black
    John

Re: Camping Trip to Uncharted Territory

I was in Custer, SD before Sturgis in 2015 and stayed at Beaver Lake Campground. Its a nice place, with a swimming pool, laundry rooms, showers ...the whole works. I left the 2nd day of the rally, but was there for almost 3 weeks riding the Black Hills. The first week my bike speed sensor went out and the campground owner let me use his motorcycle jack to change it out (I had to order the part and had it shipped to Honda dealer in Rapid City). The owner is a rider and did take me and some friends I met there on a rarely used tour of the Black Hills. Overall I put more than 2000 miles on my bike while there and 12000 over the 2+ month camping trip. From Custer there is Wind Cave National Park, Custer State Park, Iron Mountain Hwy, Needles Hwy, Mt. Rushmore, Hill City, Keystone, Crazy Horse Memorial and a few other places within 20 to 30 miles. Sturgis is about 60 miles, Devils Tower is around a 2 hour trip. Spearfish, Lead and Deadwood are not far from Sturgis. Overall the area is great. My only regret is not going to the Beartooth Pass, Glacier Park and Yellowstone while I was in the area. Oh well, I guess I have to go back soon...lol

I did this trip from Fla. never having ridden that far before and camped out in Miss, Ark., Ok., Tx., NM, Az, Ut, Colo., Wy., in addition to Sturgis and had a blast.

Enjoy your trip wherever you stay.

Dan
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15477&dateline=146341  4148

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Camping Trip to Uncharted Territory

I agree with Dan in that Custer is the ideal area to be based for the Black Hills area attractions.
    Although no swimming pool, I enjoyed and recommend Big Pines campground.

When in the Custer area, we stayed at one of the National Forest campgrounds along US Hwy 14/16/20 corridor, as it was in between Yellowstone NP and Cody. When we needed a shower, we rode in to/stopped at Fly Bridge (some camping essentials/food and gas also sold here) in the park for their excellent pay showers.

At either of those locations you listed, you are so busy riding all day exploring the area then when you get back, eat and have a few beverages/camp fire etc, bed time is close at hand as you are tired.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg