Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banff/Jasper, here we come!!!

Banff/Jasper, here we come!!!

I went to the Icefields Parkway last year at about this same time solo. Had a great time and the area is so beautiful! This year my wife wanted to go. We leave Thursday after work. Hope to make 200-250miles yet after work. That leaves just 1600 for the next 3 days. We will spend 4 nights in Johnston Canyon CG and 1 night at Whistler CG near Jasper. Then several days to get to Spokane so my wife can catch a plane back and I get another week for Washington, Idaho and work my way home. So anxious. New tires...fresh oil/filter and final drive oil. Towing the Rollahome again this year behind the Wing. We are pretty much already loaded... double check everything the next several days and hope for fairly decent weather. Work just seems to still get in the way....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8856.JPG  
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Banff/Jasper, here we come!!!

Have fun there! I'm sure your wife will love the scenery there!

I hope to be there (Jasper/Banff) Aug 9 - 14 on the way back home from Vancouver Island and the North Cascades Camp Out.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Perhaps you will enjoy this article I read this morning in the Travel Section of Chicago Tribune Sunday newspaper...I certainly enjoyed it!...Not written from motorcycle riding perspective(which will(does) enhance YOUR trip)!...Will go into my "wish-bucket"...Safe travels to you & wife & make lots of stops in the pull-outs for safe looky-looky!
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...612-story.html

This sounds like an excellent trip. Went thru Banff and Jasper last year and was very impressed. Disappointing that my wife was not with me as she would have loved it. She for sure wouldn't have made it to Alaska, but your destinations with the plane ride home would be doable. Thinking that we need to consider this trip for next year.

Enjoy yourselves and safe travels. Looking forward to reading of your experience.

Prepare yourself for a very busy place at Banff....It is covered with tourists...Rest of the trip will be awesome !! Watch for wildlife on the highway..We dang near hit a deer...Go up thru Glacier Nat'l Park if you haven't been
    RIDE TO LIVE !

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdan View Post
    Prepare yourself for a very busy place at Banff....It is covered with tourists...Rest of the trip will be awesome !! Watch for wildlife on the highway..We dang near hit a deer...Go up thru Glacier Nat'l Park if you haven't been
    Don't really plan to spend much time in Banff. Since we are staying 4 nights on the southern end, we plan to get to the main highlights that we want to see, early in the morning. Last year, hardly anyone was moving until 9 or later. Plan to hit Lake Morraine early one morning since there is so little parking there. Last year I didn't even go into Banff except to get gas once. I do expect it to be very busy though. Thanks

(Threadstarter)

Thanks. I preferred the southern portion last year. May have partly been the weather. It was better when I was closer to Banff. Water seemed much muddier up by Jasper. Again may have just been because of the rain conditions. I sure did enjoy the Maligne Canyon area and several waterfalls though. Thank you for the article

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

FYI .... If you are planning on going to see Mt Edith Cavell this year, you will need to get an access permit as they are enlarging the parking lot and working on the access road. - https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jas...lpermit-permis

The Jasper Sky Tram is well worth the cost on a clear day!

(Threadstarter)

Thank you Dusty. Since we only have 1 night in Jasper, we will be real limited in that area. Hope to have better weather this year and have a better view of Maligne Lake.

Thanks Ken We will add to our list of things to do. We pick up our rentaL car in Jasper and this will work out fine time wise we have all day to get to next stop at lake Louise hotel (per package)
    Rocky mountaineer train trip. Aug 14 - 24
    Overnight Camping Available if we aren't away camping!