Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HF Tag Along

Re: HF Tag Along

Karen,

When I put my Taggy together there was no way I was moving that box alone Like you I just took it apart in the bed of the truck, removed and assembled it piece by piece. It took me the better part of a day but it all went together. Only things I did was clean the bearings and re-grease them, put the hose over the bolts, and used fishing like to tie the hinge clasps so when they popped off I would not lose them. I never have had one come lose going down the road.

Good luck with the assembly
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

(Threadstarter)

The trailer saga continues. I drove the hour to get to HF where they had to clean a path to use the tow motor to get the second trailer off a top shelf. We opened up #2 trailer to find it had new led taillights inside. But #2 had broken fenders. So, we took the fenders out of #1 that I returned with the hole in the bottom of the carrier. Then I noticed that a tow motor blade had penetrated the box of #2 and it looked old. So, the manager said if I would take the #2 trailer they would give it to me for $170.00. Then we agreed on trading out the top carrier of #1 and the bottom of #2. But....#1 was built in 2015 and #2 was built in 2014. Both tops of the carriers had plastic heat shrink on them. I peeled away the plastic on #2 to see if it was scratched or worst cracked. It looked ok and for the price I could live with any scratches. So, I ended up buying this trailer for $170.00 and they have to send back the #1 which needs a bottom of the carrier and fenders. Now to get it all out of the truck....

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Over application of grease with Bearing Buddies can blow out the seal on the inside bearings. As Ken said, BBs are for marine application only.
    Not true. Bearing Buddies don't suddenly stop working if its not a marine application. LOL.

I've had them on my 2014 Time Out Deluxe, and I'm still on the original bearing despite pulling the trailer over 40,000 miles. Had the bearings out down at Open Road Outfitters when Dale Coyner replaced a brake coil. Cleaned them, inspected them. Perfect!

I don't know if the Bearing Buddies helped keep dirt and rocks and dust and other crap out better or worse than just a cap. But I know that over time, the low amount of grease I put in the BB cap is "used up" and I squirt some more marine grease in.

But what I do know is the Bearing Buddies have in no way hurt the bearings. Just don't have proper evidence to say they helped them, other than the anecdotal experience of all those (often hard, bouncy, rough, crappy roads) miles. With a heavy trailer.

Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    Not true. Bearing Buddies don't suddenly stop working if its not a marine application. LOL.
    Well if you can't prove they are working, then they must not be doing much work??

I'll have to agree with Bob on this one. Bearing buddies were designed for marine, boat trailers. When the axle/bearings suddenly cool off in the water they air will condense and there is a possibility of a little water getting sucked in past the rear seal. So the buddies were designed to keep a slight little positive pressure in there. Let it build up some air pressure and push on the spring as they heated up, then when everything cooled down the spring could relax and push to take up the excess airspace.

They certainly don;t hurt, but they are not doing any benefit either.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    Well if you can't prove they are working, then they must not be doing much work??

I'll have to agree with Bob on this one. Bearing buddies were designed for marine, boat trailers. When the axle/bearings suddenly cool off in the water they air will condense and there is a possibility of a little water getting sucked in past the rear seal. So the buddies were designed to keep a slight little positive pressure in there. Let it build up some air pressure and push on the spring as they heated up, then when everything cooled down the spring could relax and push to take up the excess airspace.

They certainly don;t hurt, but they are not doing any benefit either.
    Respectfully disagree. I keep marine greese in mine, and it slowly uses it up. And after all the hard miles, my bearings are perfect. Without the buddies, I'd have to pull the bearings, clean them, and repack on a fairly regular basis. With the buddies, I only do that routine once a year, combined with a thorough bearing inspection.
    Last edited by lytle1gw; 06-28-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: N

One acronym - OCD
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Northern tool still has them !!!
    Few dollars more
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

So before this conversation falls into the black hole of which bearings are best, did you get your TagALong put together?

(Threadstarter)

Not yet, I'm house setting this week a hour away from my home. BUT have another issue with the trailer. The small bracket with the two holes that allows the larger ubolt to go around the tongue, the holes are not as wide as the ubolt. Or the ubolt is wider than the width of the holes. I'm so frustrated with this thing. HF said to widen the holes and use a washer with the lock nut. I found another one close to where I'm at this week, will be going by to see if my ubolt will fit their trailer. I'm at the point of taking it apart, hauling it to Nashville to trade for a different one, but I have already taken the bearings out cleaned and greased, put in all the rubber hose for those rear bolts and installed the lights. Now I'm worried that darn carrier will not fit....

This is how I got my Tag-Along home in the back of my "pickup truck". No one item too heavy for me to pick up although I did use some help getting the box on the roof as it was a bit unweildy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140826_181849.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	21372
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)