Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Tag Along

HF Tag Along

I bought a tag along last week when it was that low price. Since I am going to try to put this together myself. I have a few questions.

Are the bearing buddies one size? Do the actual bearings need to be replaced? Also what do I need for the 4 flat pin to a 6 round? I have looked at adapters but can it be straight wired? Does the trailer need to be checked for true-ness? Also has anyone re-did the welds?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I at least have a brother in law who can help me. He is the mechanic in the family.

Karen

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: HF Tag Along

For starters, I wouldn't bother with bearing buddies. They are meant for boat trailers where the hubs/bearings will be submersed in water frequently, but do pull all 4 bearings, clean them and repack them using a quality wheel bearing grease.

The frame on the one I put together recently for a gal in my riding club was square and had good welds, just check it for square once you are attaching the tongue.

If you are just using it for towing your camping gear behind your bike, I'd suggest remove the short helper leaf spring so the trailer doesn't bounce all over the place. Also add some heater hose over the rear shackle bolt to help quieten it down.
    Also get the LED light kit

This link may help give you some ideas. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-...57678869447272

I am running individual round 6 and round receptacles for my 2 trailers on my bike, as the round 4 needs to be run off of a 5 wire to 4 wire converter.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Check to see if you have LED lights now. There was a recall on the incandescent lights and they replaced them with LED and I read somewhere that all the new trailers might come with LED.
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    For starters, I wouldn't bother with bearing buddies. They are meant for boat trailers where the hubs/bearings will be submersed in water frequently, but do pull all 4 bearings, clean them and repack them using a quality wheel bearing grease.

The frame on the one I put together recently for a gal in my riding club was square and had good welds, just check it for square once you are attaching the tongue.

If you are just using it for towing your camping gear behind your bike, I'd suggest remove the short helper leaf spring so the trailer doesn't bounce all over the place. Also add some heater hose over the rear shackle bolt to help quieten it down.
    Also get the LED light kit

This link may help give you some ideas. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-...57678869447272

I am running individual round 6 and round receptacles for my 2 trailers on my bike, as the round 4 needs to be run off of a 5 wire to 4 wire converter.
    Thanks Dusty, I was aware of the spring, the heater hose sound great to use. Not spending anymore money for bearing buddies sound good also.

I did buy the LED light kit, but will check the trailer when I can get it out of the back of my truck, its only been there for a week.

(Threadstarter)

I will check today for the new lights. The huge box is still in the back of my truck for a week, time to take it out piece by piece. I bought the light kit at HF but will gladly take it back. Thanks for the heads up. Oh, one thing, I do not know how long they have had this one. The manager said they have not sold a trailer for a long time. Will know shortly.

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Howdy Karen
    All good advice given so far.
    I checked the square of the tongue to the axle as that is the important part, and because I also bought a longer piece of 2x2 square box tube to make the tongue just under 6'(@ 18" longer) as I wanted to use my swivel hitch I had and the tongue that came with it was 2 1/4" x 2" so my swivel hitch wouldn't fit on the stock tongue. It tows like it isn't there now.
    As to checking the welds, yes do so. Beef up the fender welds as they are only spot welded and will break off . I had one break off in TN after riding from CA to NH then down to TN. I had read of this happening and also met a couple a year or 2 before in MI that were sitting in a parking lot with a busted fender bracket, but I negleted to check that before I departed on it's maiden voyage. Weld the top and side completely of the angle iron then clean and spray paint.
    The other thing that needs changing on these pod trailers is the cheap plastic clasps that hold the lid down, they pop off if you hit them as you are loading the trailer and probably won't hold the lid closed in an accident. I had put straps over the lid as to secure it while traveling. As I was stopped at a gas station at Glen Canyon area to rehydrate and cool off, 105, some HD riders pulled in to gas up. One walked over to see my longer trailer tongue and the straps I had over the top of the pod as to secure the top better, he had one as well he was pulling, he said to check out his which he had replaced the clasps with rubber hood latches like commercial hood latches are. I'll post a link for those. I'm about to order a pair for mine.
    As to the warranty of the lights if yours came with incandescent lights, they will send you a LED light kit if you register the warranty, otherwise you have to contact them to register for the replacement kit. I had bought mine used and didn't have it registered to me with habor freight as it was a 2011 model and out of warranty, but they did send me a kit as it is a federal dot recall. I'm about to install the LED light kit and regrease the bearings before I head across the country in a few weeks.
    I also put on a 6 pin round plug, I added 2 seperate amber turn lights beside the stop/tail lights and rewired for those and added some extra stop lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160709_070836.jpg  
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EK...xkL&ref=plSrch

I'm thinking I'll add some blocks between these hold downs and the body and use large fender washers inside the body to spread the contact area of the bolts securing these to the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31PjtQZAxkL._SY400_.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet7373 View Post
    Thanks Dusty, I was aware of the spring, the heater hose sound great to use. Not spending anymore money for bearing buddies sound good also.

I did buy the LED light kit, but will check the trailer when I can get it out of the back of my truck, its only been there for a week.
    Over application of grease with Bearing Buddies can blow out the seal on the inside bearings. As Ken said, BBs are for marine application only.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

(Threadstarter)

Oh, my thank you for all the info. I will look at those latches for sure when I start to assemble.

(Threadstarter)

It seems I have to do things the hard way. To buy this trailer I had to drive 1 hour away to the closest HF store. We are getting one in my town in Sept this year. This huge box with all the banding straps has remained in the bed of my truck for a week. There was no way of me getting that box out of the truck by myself. I started to un wrap my gift to me today. As I started taking out each piece of the trailer, the springs, wheels etc, I noticed the section of the frame that has those thin extensions of metal that must be the fender braces. I could not believe that this thin piece of the trailer was embedded through the top of the trailer. And I mean all the way through the lid that is upside down to hold all the parts of the trailer. So, now its back to HF on Monday to take it back and check on the other one they have in stock. Believe me, I will inspect it before it leaves the store. When they loaded mine in the bed of my truck, it was stacked on top of the other one. The other one has a beat down lid to the box, so I have little faith that it will be ok in that squished box.

Karen