Thread: GVRW Bunkhouse LX

GVRW Bunkhouse LX

I have a new to me 2004 Bunkhouse LX. In trying to calculate the proper tongue weight I had the trailer weighed. Much to my surprise, with the 80 pounds of gear I'd added it came in at 572 pounds which is at least a 100 more than I figured. The manufacturers label states the GVRW is 500 lbs. For those of you who tow these is 572 a reasonable or safe weight to tow this at with a GL1800? Manufacturers web site states this model weighs 342 pounds - anybody know what they might have included in that? I have a tongue weight of 52 pounds - is this ok? Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Re: GVRW Bunkhouse LX

Geta couple cases of water and move them back and forth til YOU like it I usually run just under 40. with my Aspen Classic!

Dan
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

For a stable trailer the rule of thumb is 10 - 15% of total trailer weight on the tong. Your almost there 10% = 57.2lbs. You might get a tail wag if you go much less especially on a down hill coast. Been there done that learned my lesson the hard way.

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Take this with whatever way you want.
    50lbs is too much tongue weight. You get into a downhill twisties where you need to brake hard at 50 lb or more tongue and you'll most likely get into a possible tank slapper. Been there done it. This is not a 4 wheeler. That formula was designed for 4 wheels.

Max 25-30 lbs tongue weight. Move your load around to get it.
    Do as you want. You've been forewarned. Have fun with you rig. Be safe.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Never ever believe the advertised weights of any RV.
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

We have a Aspen Classic and I have no idea what it weighs loaded up. But, I do know the anything over 40 lbs tongue weight makes our GL1800 ride like a hobby horse. I run around 30-35 lbs tongue weight and it rides very smooth. Yes, I know the 1800's have a suspension adjustment, but all it actually does is increase ground clearance, not weight hauling capacity. Our 92 GL 1500 SE Wing did have the air adjustable suspension for weight increases and did very well with about 55-60 psi air pressure when the camper was fully loaded. We put on many miles pulling the camper on that bike and it handled well, again with only 30 to 35 lbs tongue weight. If fact our 'old 1980 GL 1100 with air suspension handles the camper well also.

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    Take this with whatever way you want.
    50lbs is too much tongue weight. You get into a downhill twisties where you need to brake hard at 50 lb or more tongue and you'll most likely get into a possible tank slapper. Been there done it. This is not a 4 wheeler. That formula was designed for 4 wheels.

Max 25-30 lbs tongue weight. Move your load around to get it.
    Do as you want. You've been forewarned. Have fun with you rig. Be safe.
    My experience with my trike is often 25-30 is not enough to stop sway at highway speed, and during downhill deceleration.

It seems that closer to 40 is a sweet spot for my Time Out Deluxe, the trike, and the trailer has class C tires on it at 60 psi.

Since I am a true gypsy, and live on the road and, when not on the road, am camped, my trailer loadout stays pretty much static. So once I get it right, I just leave it that way until winter camp. Sometimes the GVRW goes down a little, sometimes it goes up a little (usually temporarily, like after a rally my buddies usually look at the big RTIC cooler and all the beer left, and con me into hauling them to the next rally).

Some of the rallies I go to are only accessible via mountain passes, so downhill deceleration sway is a big issue.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

(Threadstarter)

Thank you all for the input and advice. With some simple repositioning of the cargo I was able to get tongue weight down to 39 lbs. While 572 pounds still remains a concern I will play with cargo distribution until I find something that's comfortable for me and go from there. Safe travels folks.