Thread: Eclipse on the Pacific Coast

Eclipse on the Pacific Coast

Planning about 21 days to get from San Diego, Ca. to La Conner Wa..
    The plan is to spend minimal time going North, maybe stop and visit a couple spots, take the long way around the Olympic Peninsula then down to Newport, Or. for the Eclipse continuing through the Emerald Triangle (really want to ride the redwoods) to So Cal. all coastal.
    I'm one up packing all the gear aboard my 2007 BMW K1200LT

Any can't miss eats or campgrounds that you know of? Back Roads to get away from RV traffic or just cool side trips, Chime in.

Right Now looks like
    Day
    1-3 San Diego to Portland
    4-5 Seattle Area
    6-8 La Conner base for 2 day rides
    9-10 Olympic Peninsula/ Hoe Rainforest
    11-13 Newport / Eclipse/Friends
    14 Southern Oregon Coast
    15 Smith River
    16 Klamath
    17 Trinidad
    18 Fort Bragg
    19 San Francisco
    20 San Luis Obispo
    21 Home

Sounds like a long time sleeping on the ground
    Sam

Re: Eclipse on the Pacific Coast

Looks like a nice trip. Safe travels and give us a trip report (with pictures of course)
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Itinerant Motorcyclist leftwing's Avatar

Rogue Ales brewery and pubs .... I think there are four around Newport now. The original Brewpub is on the bay near the Marine Science Center.

Old town Florence, along Bay st., is nice with many places to eat, drink etc. plus nearby the Port authority has a campground within easy walking distance to Old town. http://portofsiuslaw.com/

Up in Astoria Or. you will find Bowpickers Fish and Chips... Only one thing on the menu and it's Beer battered Albacore Tuna and thick cut fries. Its not unusual to find people lined up. Bowpicker Fish & Chips is located right across from the Columbia River Maritime Museum,at 1634 Duane St, Astoria, Oregon. http://www.bowpicker.com/

The Lost coast southwest of Fortuna (http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=3870) If you drive out Lighthouse Rd near Petrolia at the end of the road you will find a nice campground "on the beach" This is a very secluded area you will find no amenities.

Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park and campground ...... beautiful campground on the Smith River.... just off hwy. 199 near Crescent City.

Secret Beach and Thunder Cove ... North of Boardman State Scenic area on the southern Oregon coast ...
    http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/orego...ecret-beach-or

I like the Pacific City area ...... Good beer at Pelican Brewing (www.pelicanbrewing.com) Good breakfast at the Greatfull Bread Bakery (www.gratefulbreadbakery.com) Lots of campgrounds on the coast to the north. Also there is a county campground "Web county I think" almost across the highway from Pelican Brewing.
    I highly recommend Cape Meares Loop highway (from the Tillamook area) going down the coast. It turns into Netarts Bay Dr. then Whiskey Creek Dr. then Cape Lookout Rd. then Sandlake Rd. and finally Cape Kiwanda Dr. and into Pacific City.
    Michael
    Curmudgeon from the Left Coast

Sam
    (Threadstarter)

Thank You
    This is the Good Stuff I'm looking for !!

Itinerant Motorcyclist leftwing's Avatar

Glad it's helpful .... I added a little more stuff to the post above..

Bastendorf Beach Road just outside Coo's Bay, OR.

Camped right on the beach, literally! No charge. Found plenty of firewood buried from the day trippers to have a nice fire for the evening, drinking a beer listening to the wave and the watching the sunset over the ocean.
    24 hr limit but of you are just passing through that's all you need. Restrooms and trash barrels on site. Nearby RV park has showers for $2.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.