Thread: 5 way bike to 4 way trailer lighting connection help needed

5 way bike to 4 way trailer lighting connection help needed

Hi all,
    I have a gl1800 with 5 wires.

Hopkins has a converter but it will only work on my Piggybaker trailer that has combined brake and turn signal lights.
    My Roll a home has independent turn signals and brake lights. Trailers both have a 4 way flat connection.

Is there a converter that works with both systems?

Thanks for your replies.

Mike
    See our 3 minute ride up the Moki Dugway by Mexican Hat in Utah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJAZo6ipyc

Re: 5 way bike to 4 way trailer lighting connection help needed

There are two "5 to 4" converters sold by Wingstuff, one from Add On (which I have) and one from Kuryakyn (more expensive). I have a 2015 GL1800 F6B that I use to tow two different trailers. One is a 4-wire utility trailer and the other is a 5-wire Aspen Classic camper.

For the 4-way, this is what I did. I purchased an Add On 5 to 4 converter from Wingstuff along with a Kuryakyn accessory harness. I wired the converter into the accessory harness and then just plugged in the accessory harness to the bike - done. This alone saved me from wiring directly into the bikes wiring harness. Figuring out all the color codes was the biggest hurdle. See my drawing below. The Kury harness matched the color codes that were on the bike but the pigtail end of the harness did not match anything. Disregard the Federal Micropulse tail lamp (my flashing brake light). Hope this helps.

I sold my utility trailer a short time ago so I bought a second Kury harness and wired it with a flat 5-wire plug to match the one on my Aspen. Both harnesses worked great however. And no, I chose not to use an isolater to do the wiring. The trailer lights present very little extra electrical load on the bike.

PS: How is it that your Roll A Home has independent brake and turn signals but only has a 4-wire plug?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 to 4 converter.jpg   GL1800 - 5 to 4 wiring diagram.jpg  

(Threadstarter)

Thanks Dan,
    Your last question has me thinking that the previous owner hooked up the bottom lights to run the tail lights and the top to run the brake and blinkers.
    A different way of doing things. The lights do not work as they should - the tail lights will ever so lightly blink with the blinkers.

May have to go with different lights all together.

Thanks again for your reply.

I had a similar situation when I bought my time out. I rewired the existing lights entirely for 4 wire since both bikes had a 4 flat connector. I bought 2 new red lenses to replace on the turn signals. Now the inside light (2 filament) acts as brake/run/turn, and the outside light acts as a second turn signal. Works quite well and cost me a whopping 10 bucks for new lenses on amazon.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quote Originally Posted by MN Mike View Post
    Hopkins has a converter but it will only work on my Piggybaker trailer that has combined brake and turn signal lights.
    My Roll a home has independent turn signals and brake lights. Trailers both have a 4 way flat connection.

Is there a converter that works with both systems?
    My Roll-A-Home came with a 4 wire plug on a 5 wire system. They were using the hitch ball as the ground. Not something I'm doing.

I use the 6 round connector on the bike for the 5 wire feed out and the extra pin charges my LiFe battery while riding. When I need to tow a 4 wire trailer I have a 5-4 converter that plugs into the 6 wire trailer plug on the bike.

I setup my Roll-A-Home to work with both 4 and 5 wire systems. 4 when towed behind the car, 5 from behind the bike. There is a link here to the write-up.

Switch out all your incandescent to LED and ditch the isolator if you trust your wiring skills.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.