Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pass price increase

Re: Senior Pass price increase

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    I've had an ACCESS card for close to a decade. If it had cost $100 it would have paid for itself many times over through the 50% discounts. But it was free (disabled Vet) so it is priceless.

I plot my way across America using National Forest, BLM, COE, and NWR campgrounds as much as possible. Though there are a number of city and county campgrounds I just can't not go to, because they are so nice.
    I see you are a disabled vet,and got yours free. I think that is great. Do you or anyone know if veterans can get the pass for free if they are not disabled. I feel that if anyone has served ,they should.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    I see you are a disabled vet,and got yours free. I think that is great. Do you or anyone know if veterans can get the pass for free if they are not disabled. I feel that if anyone has served ,they should.
    Nope, Active duty or disabled only free. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...ual-passes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    I am not old enough to get a life time pass. I did buy a pass last year ,and it did pay for itself on our trip to the west,but I don't consider it a deal. It's a double tax. We all pay tax to our federal,state, and local government,and when all added up ,i along with many others in this country are paying 50 cents on every dollar we make tax,part of which are suppose to pay for these kind of things. I consider it another way our government has figured they can scam us out of more money,and make us feel good about it.
    If such a UGHE portion of our tax "contribution" were not p----d away on our "immigration" programs, lunch programs, bennies for our politicians...and many more equally important programs....more would be available for Park improvements and the rebuilding of our infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    If such a UGHE portion of our tax "contribution" were not p----d away on our "immigration" programs, lunch programs, bennies for our politicians...and many more equally important programs....more would be available for Park improvements and the rebuilding of our infrastructure.
    I sure wish such was the case. The further west I ride each season, the fewer amenities the National Forest campgrounds have. Even COE campgrounds seem to slack on facilities the more west I go.

It would be great if each State picked a couple public campgrounds (that honor passes) and improved them to have flat pads, water, electric, a dump station for RVers, etc. Its not like it would take a whole lot of money, in the greater scheme of things.

Considering how much they piss away trying to be our collective mothers.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Ain't it the truth, Brother...

Ordered mine yesterday.

In Ohio (my legal residence even though I have homes in Florida and Hawai), we have the "Golden Buckeye Card". This is a real perk of being a senior in Ohio. Big discounts on thousands of things you really can use and do use daily. Big discounts on means at restaurants. And a 50 percent discount on ALL camping at State Parks in Ohio. Could not wait to get it.

The "scuttlebutt" in the state is that you automatically got it when you turned 55. So I turned 55 and the card never came. I was livid. Called about it and the gal says, "You are not old enough. It goes out when you turn 60 automatically" I say, "But everyone says 55 and there are even websites I've seen where it was 55". She says "That's a misunderstanding from another ancillary program and the rumor mill stated that you got it at 55. Sorry. It's always been 60."

Wouldn't surprise me when I turn 60 that I find out it's been raised to 65.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I bought my lifetime pass a couple of years ago but haven't really put it to good use. That's about to change. My retirement date is August 31 but as of July 18 I will have no remaining work days on my contract. National Parks here I come.
    2013 HD Tri Glide
    HOG, IBMC, NRA, NHRA, AWS

Considering its a one time purchase for the rest of your life (unless you lose it) its a pretty good deal even if/when they raise the price and you plan on doing much traveling. Last summer alone I saved over $100 in entrance fees and camping on my trip west.
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

Got mine today, less than five minutes in and out at the BLM Office.