Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Help

Hitch Help

I need about 2" more height above the current hitch ball height on my Freewheeler hitch. Etrailer.com has a ball with a 2" rise, but the shank is too big. The shank hole diameter on my receiver is 13/16". Does anyone know of a ball that has a 2" rise with a 3/4" shank diameter, or possibly another solution. My hitch is a Hitch Doc. Thanks for any input.

Re: Hitch Help

I haven't looked but also look on recstuff.com you may find what you need.good luck
    1996 Honda Goldwing SE pulling a 1996 Kwick Kamp

Maybe get a different receiver to fit this particular hitch ball you say that will work.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Can you drill the 1/2" hole out to the size of the shaft of the taller ball?

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

(Threadstarter)

So I messed up on my measuring, shaft hole is 13/16's. Don't know where I got a half inch. Geez. This ball has a threaded bolt that screws up into the ball. I should be able to get a longer grade 8 bolt and use a 2" spacer.

Be careful using those internally threaded balls ... They are notorious for loosening up ... Be sure to check it periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Be careful using those internally threaded balls ... They are notorious for loosening up ... Be sure to check it periodically.
    I had one that threaded on the inside of the ball, I thought it was a great idea because the threads cant rust but it loosened up. I took it off and through it away, not worth the $20

Trailers, especially heavy trailers, tow much better the lower you can have the tow point at the motorcycle. I lengthened my tongue and lowered it 2 inches so I could get a lower tow point.

Recently I cut out my rear fender of my 2012 and now use a shorter bar on my receiver to move the tow point closer to the rear Wing wheel. This has helped a lot with the handling. And yes, I know the tongue "could hit" the saddle bags if I "jack knife" the trailer. But the gain in handling improvement out weighs the risk for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3743.jpg   IMG_5043.jpg  
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

TxTiger
    You didn't sat what trailer you have or the type of tongue on it. Most have a 2x2 sq tube tongue with the exception of a few. So you make us assume not giving all info.

Here is bbalzer's tongue picture, as you can see you can extend your tongue 18" and put the extension below the tongue using 2x2 steel or aluminum(if you have an aluminum tongue getting you your 2" drop you need and not extend the ball up. Add some side gusset plates to bolt through each piece. Use grade 8 bolts through 3/16" or 1/4" plate gussets.
    Simple and strong and better towing with the longer tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
    I need about 2" more height above the current hitch ball height on my Freewheeler hitch. Etrailer.com has a ball with a 2" rise, but the shank is too big. The shank hole diameter on my receiver is 1/2". Does anyone know of a ball that has a 2" rise with a 1/2" shank diameter, or possibly another solution. My hitch is a Hitch Doc. Thanks for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment-7.jpeg  
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
    I need about 2" more height above the current hitch ball height on my Freewheeler hitch. Etrailer.com has a ball with a 2" rise, but the shank is too big. The shank hole diameter on my receiver is 13/16". Does anyone know of a ball that has a 2" rise with a 3/4" shank diameter, or possibly another solution. My hitch is a Hitch Doc. Thanks for any input.
    Just weld and extra length of 2" square tubing on the top of your tongue long enough to accommodate your coupling. I had to raise my trailer tongue 4" on my MiniMate. This gave me a little longer tongue and made it pull much more nicely.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate